By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DF: Outlast 2 Switch vs PS4 Graphics Comparison - Can Nintendo's Hybrid Console Compete?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctJ-V59Ip3I

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-outlast-2-switch-vs-playstation-4

Its very good port.

Around the Network

Always awesome to see a developer put the effort into making a quality conversion, instead of a sloppy hackjob.

I'd go so far as to say that for the moment, Outlast 2 has the best looking realistic-styled graphics on Switch. Given the quality of the visuals I expected this game to be 720p docked and sub-HD when portable, so the fact it hits 93% of full 1080p in TV mode and native 720p on the go is impressive indeed.

The game itself is not my cup of tea, but hats off to the devs doing an excellent port.

Half the framerate seems to be the goto for porting 60fps PS4 games, a lot easier than porting 30fps PS4 games. Great they didn't have to make much sacrifices beyond that, unlike doom.

Now they have ported Ark to Switch this is all getting very unsurprising

Still good job with an UE3 game that was ported in a few weeks

Rab said:

Now they have ported Ark to Switch this is all getting very unsurprising

Still good job with an UE3 game that was ported in a few weeks

Yeah, it seems like some of these porting studios are going out of their way to one up each outer :P

Not that I'm complaining.

But UE3 makes this more impressive since that is an older engine that brings with it inefficiencies and issues ironed out in UE4.  That combined with the custom additions made by the Outlast 2 devs no doubt made this a more finicky port than a lot of others.

Around the Network

Talent devs + actually give a f*** about optimising = all the differnce in the world.

Good job porting it to the switch.

93% resolution, dialed back textures/shadows/ect... 30fps instead of 60.
But the game itself looks good in motion and comes pretty close graphically to the PS4.

JRPGfan said:

Talent devs + actually give a f*** about optimising = all the differnce in the world.

Good job porting it to the switch.

93% resolution, dialed back textures/shadows/ect... 30fps instead of 60.
But the game itself looks good in motion and comes pretty close graphically to the PS4.

That's the thing; in more graphically complex games like this, sacrifices will always need to be made in bringing PS4 titles to Switch, there's no way around that, but what makes the good ones work is that they nip and tuck in the right places, where it will be least noticed. Yooka Laylee is another good example of this. 

Nuvendil said: 

But UE3 makes this more impressive since that is an older engine that brings with it inefficiencies and issues ironed out in UE4.  That combined with the custom additions made by the Outlast 2 devs no doubt made this a more finicky port than a lot of others.

Makes you wonder why they chose UE3 for a game that came out in 2017. Perhaps they wanted to build on the foundation of the first game, but still, it's a strange choice not to upgrade to UE4. But yeah, it does make the port all the more impressive since Switch doesn't natively support UE3. 

The PC/PS4 version is probably the best looking UE3 game I have seen.

This shows how there really isn't that much difference between the systems graphically these days. All systems have amazing graphics that don't make any difference to the quality of the game. PS4 version has a few extra bells and whistles, higher resolution and higher framerate. Switch version had to downgrade those but essentially the only noticeable downgrade in those videos was the lack of fog in that one scene. All the other changes they had to stop the video and zoom way in so that you could barely notice a difference, something you're never gonna pick up while actually playing the game. Basically good devs can port a ps4 game to Switch and have it look comparable by just taking out a few bells and whistles that you really have to nitpick to point out.

curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said: 

Makes you wonder why they chose UE3 for a game that came out in 2017. Perhaps they wanted to build on the foundation of the first game, but still, it's a strange choice not to upgrade to UE4. But yeah, it does make the port all the more impressive since Switch doesn't natively support UE3. 

The PC/PS4 version is probably the best looking UE3 game I have seen.

Oh the answer to that question is easy: it's the engine they are most familiar with.  Same reason Bethesda stuck with Gamebryo for so long, just bolting things on and upgrading the features.  Same reason Nintendo reused I believe it was the Wind Waker once (or twice?  Can't remember).  It's often easier to work with what you know.