By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [Updated] [Super Bold Prediction] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Will Sell 20m Lifetime

Will it?

Yes 19 24.68%

No 33 42.86%

It will be very close 25 32.47%

Total:77
contestgamer said:
DonFerrari said:

1 - Not all Nintendo games are ever green.

2 - Zelda previous numbers are way below 20M to consider this as something more probable than not hitting 20M.

3 - And there is a very big difference between selling 10M in first year to 20M LT versus suddenly stop.

I dont see it hitting 20. Maybe 16-17 max. That's still niche. Mainstream is minecraft, GTA, COD etc

Soo, by that logic, a good 85-90% of video game franchises are niche, including Mario and Pokemon. Two franchises which have been around longer and are just as or more popular than the three you just listed.

Around the Network

Wow that's bold. Tbone would be proud for sure. Sure thought this would be one of his threads

tbone51 said:
contestgamer said:
Unlikely, it's too much of a niche title to go mainstream, 12 mil at best

Joke post? :P

Thought this was a tbone thread, i was actually thinking of making this

Even Tbone thought this was a Tbone thread, lol

I wonder how Contestgamer thinks about other franchises like  Uncharted , God of war , Halo , Gears of War .

contestgamer said:
DonFerrari said:

1 - Not all Nintendo games are ever green.

2 - Zelda previous numbers are way below 20M to consider this as something more probable than not hitting 20M.

3 - And there is a very big difference between selling 10M in first year to 20M LT versus suddenly stop.

I dont see it hitting 20. Maybe 16-17 max. That's still niche. Mainstream is minecraft, GTA, COD etc

16-17m is niche!? Maybe you can say for game that sold few millions is niche but you cant relly say that for game that sold on 10m+ on single platform. Buy your point only few games on market are mainstream and over 95% games are niche.

15m tops maybe at best

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

I just learned that everything besides CoD and GTA is niche and nobody really knows about other things. Star Wars is niche. Even some CoDs and GTAIV themselves I guess, they just weren't mainstream enough.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
All I can say to LipeJJ is

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

People hardly replied to this thread when it was first made. Now that it looks like the prediction is coming true, there are people in here fighting about it.

I know it's a bit odd, but it actually feels like this. xD First it didn't get attention, then people denied it, now we're all discussing, and I'm sure in some months people will realize that the game has a realistic shot at reaching 20m LT.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I wonder how Contestgamer thinks about other franchises like  Uncharted , God of war , Halo , Gears of War .

By his definition, they're probably not even niche games. They're probably niche indie games. 

S.Peelman said:

I just learned that everything besides CoD and GTA is niche and nobody really knows about other things. Star Wars is niche. Even some CoDs and GTAIV themselves I guess, they just weren't mainstream enough.

We're always learning new things everyday my friend.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

He agrees that those are niche.

At least he is consistent with his arbitrary standards.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Aside from a handful of games like gta5/cod etc video games are niche as a rule. They dont sell anywhere nearly as many copies as tickets get sold for major movies, or even as many people as visit disney world. 17 million out of 7 billion is niche.

contestgamer said:
Aside from a handful of games like gta5/cod etc video games are niche as a rule. They dont sell anywhere nearly as many copies as tickets get sold for major movies, or even as many people as visit disney world. 17 million out of 7 billion is niche.

Lol. Well, can't argue with that. However 80 million out of 7 billion isn't much less niche than 17 when taking a sample size as big as everyone in the world. What makes GTA not niche then? Or better yet CoD? Going from 17 to in the 20s is not a big jump at all when considering 7 billion, it's nothing. What makes it not niche? But that's not how it works because it makes no sense.

The market isn't 7 billion people big, and it's also a different, unrelated market to people that go see a movie or visit theme parks, meaning what is relatively good or not is different between each market. Besides, 17 million is more than the number of people visiting pretty much any theme park in the world and even most Disney resorts in a year and is not that far below the number of people visiting Disney World either, but that's beside the point. The video game market on home consoles however seems to be about 200 million people in total, and maybe that's even optimistic because there's overlap with people buying multiple consoles. If a game then sells to 20 million people in any combination, that means 10% of every console gamer in the world will have bought said game. That's not niche in any mainstream definition of the word, because 10% is a pretty sizeable chunk of the console market pie.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 05 May 2018