By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo announces NintendoWare Bezel Engine ! Development Engine for Third Party to use

Ljink96 said:
Western 3rd parties aren't touching this engine by the looks of just the image, but I expect a lot of Japanese 3rd parties and maybe indies to develop on it. It'll also be a new revenue and hopefully profit stream for Nintendo if they're getting royalties off of software.

I don't expect a lot of Japanese devs to use this either. Will probably be predominantly indie games. 

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I don't expect a lot of Japanese devs to use this either. Will probably be predominantly indie games. 

We don't even know how good of an engine it is.

Exactly. So any post relating to who will use it is just speculation. 

CaptainExplosion said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Exactly. So any post relating to who will use it is just speculation. 

Now I want Nintendo to tell us everything about it, which they will overtime I'm sure.

I expect this to be talked about at a great extent in the next Investors meeting for the fiscal year that just ended which, if I'm not mistaken, should take place April 26th

fatslob-:O said:
JEMC said:
That's interesting. I don't recall hearing about Sony or MSoft developing an engine for third parties (not that they need it, tho).

I wonder who at Nintendo developed this engine. Could be Retro, and this engine be the reason they're taking so long to announce a new game? And could that robot be part of the game they've been working on?

Actually, Sony licenses out their PhyreEngine to multiple 3rd party developers and they also did it with the Decima engine too but before that back when they used to be known as SCE they licensed Kinetica to Naughty Dog to make the Jak series before they were acquired by SCE themselves and the same thing happened with Zipper Interactive for the production of the SOCOM series however, last but not least the very first Ratchet and Clank title was made with Kinetica also so they seem to have a long history of licensing their technology ... 

I don't know about Microsoft's history with their engine technology development history though ... 

Also Retro didn't develop the engine as shown in the picture, it was from their in-house Japanese technology development division so they have no reason to make an engine they wouldn't use and project giant robot has been cancelled for a long time ... 

So the real question is why is Nintendo’s Japanese technology development division stealing Retro’s credit?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Mar1217 said:
Nice idea ! Now Playtonic Games can do another 3D platformer without the shitty dev time they had to develop the Switch version :P

This is exactly where I went in my head, too. I wish there was some way Nintendo could include tips on how to polish games and the importance of good mechanics. I’d buy a lot more third-parties if their games played as well as a Nintendo game. Could you imagine Twoka-Laylee with Odyssey’s physics and assets?

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Nice idea ! Now Playtonic Games can do another 3D platformer without the shitty dev time they had to develop the Switch version :P

Depends on if the game is multi-platform and if this engine supports non-Nintendo platforms.  If it's a multi-platform game then there is no reason not to use an engine that supports all platforms.  Otherwise, they'd have to rebuild the entire game in different engines, which would increase development time in addition to being a pain in the ass.

Jumpin said:

So the real question is why is Nintendo’s Japanese technology development division stealing Retro’s credit?

They didn't cause making this engine is worthless when UE4 is just as good for high end game development and it has very good Japanese documentation with a mature art pipeline which is why it was picked up by large Japanese game publishers more often than UE3 was ... 

Unity could do a better job than Bezel Engine if they would just improve their Japanese documentation a some more ... 

I don't really see the point of this unless it works cross platform. I don't see why any developer would develop on a platform-exclusive engine, but I do see the allure of developing on an engine that makes it easier to port to the most difficult to port to platform.

Definitely am surprised there is no news of this anywhere else

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:
Definitely am surprised there is no news of this anywhere else

Maybe it's an anticipated April fool's joke? It always seemed like that to me.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won