By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo announces NintendoWare Bezel Engine ! Development Engine for Third Party to use

So apparently Nintendo is providing its own development engine for making videogames to Third Party developers in order to provide a healthy environment where they can work, the engine was made to ensure low development costs as well as short development times. The engine was announced during GDC in Osaka and apparently a tech demo was shown.

Rough Translation, nobody is reporting this yet

Here's a picture of the tech demo that was shown at GDC

source

Around the Network

Neat. Maybe now that can stop drifting into "made with Unreal Engine" territory themselves lately.

Cuz that shit's gross.

Interesting. Let's see who is going to use it.

Hmm. Wonder if this will net some 3rd party exclusives or at least some indie exclusives.

Nintendo really pushing for 3rd party support.

does this mean the games must be exclusive to nintendo if developers choose to use this engine?

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
does this mean the games must be exclusive to nintendo if developers choose to use this engine?

Probably, if this are really their engine.

That's interesting. I don't recall hearing about Sony or MSoft developing an engine for third parties (not that they need it, tho).

I wonder who at Nintendo developed this engine. Could be Retro, and this engine be the reason they're taking so long to announce a new game? And could that robot be part of the game they've been working on?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Miyamotoo said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Probably, if this are really their engine.

cool, hopefully rockstar uses this engine for gta 6.

Pinkie_pie said:

We don't know. If I had to guess the engine was made thinking also about ports, if a game engine is just too much for the Switch (i.e. Luminous or Frostbite) certain devs might consider this as an option as I immagine it's far more optimized for Switch than most third party engines

JEMC said:
That's interesting. I don't recall hearing about Sony or MSoft developing an engine for third parties (not that they need it, tho).

I wonder who at Nintendo developed this engine. Could be Retro, and this engine be the reason they're taking so long to announce a new game? And could that robot be part of the game they've been working on?

Actually, Sony licenses out their PhyreEngine to multiple 3rd party developers and they also did it with the Decima engine too but before that back when they used to be known as SCE they licensed Kinetica to Naughty Dog to make the Jak series before they were acquired by SCE themselves and the same thing happened with Zipper Interactive for the production of the SOCOM series however, last but not least the very first Ratchet and Clank title was made with Kinetica also so they seem to have a long history of licensing their technology ... 

I don't know about Microsoft's history with their engine technology development history though ... 

Also Retro didn't develop the engine as shown in the picture, it was from their in-house Japanese technology development division so they have no reason to make an engine they wouldn't use and project giant robot has been cancelled for a long time ...