By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If Religion was never a thing, what would have replaced it?

CaptainExplosion said:
Qwark said:
Not all that much, but we would kill each other for better or at least more logical reasons.

Like if somebody tried to hurt my mom? I'd kill anybody who tried that. *rifle pointed between your eyes* Don't tempt me, Quark.

Yeah or for fresh water or other natural recourses. 

*Backs away slowly out of captainexplosion is sight while hoping that he won't shoot me. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

We dumbass humans would have found something don't you worry about that.

Religion wow, it goes way deeper than just being a medium of influence, it has been deeply embedded in the social and moral values of human life. I mean our laws are pretty much derived from religious values, even if you don't believe in it, what's right and wrong are mostly dictated by religion.

Taking away religion would also make people a lot more hopeless and depressed since it'd encourage existential thinking and leading people to not really care about human life, be selfish and not be guilty about it.

I don't really know, it's interesting to think about, but our world would definitely have some sort of systematic discrimination and really not care for human life, since religion has taught us that all people are equal and it did also give people hope in life i.e. to be morally good to go to heaven.

We'd definitely have a more dictator oriented world since the removal of religion immediately takes away morals and thus freedom, it'd either be a dictatorship or anarchy, who knows? We won't.

Wiibaron said:
Just imagine how the world would be if 1/2 the people didn't believe that their actions while alive on Earth determine your punishment after you die. Being afraid of eternal punishment helps keep people 'in line' as far as treating others. Not a believer myself, but I am sure glad most do.

Reviewing human history I'm not sure the spectre of after life punishment has been a great deterrent for committing horrific acts.

How would a world without religion even come about? A we gained more time to reflect we begin to wonder about the origins of the Earth and the mysteries of death.

Around the Network

Religion didn't always serve the same purpose that it does in today's society. Once upon a time, it wasn't "religion vs science", because both were one in the same. Religion is a hyper-primitive form of proto-science. It was used to explain the stars, moon, sun, tide, seasons, life, death, creation... Just in ways that egyptian cave monkeys could understand.

Was it all wrong? Well, yeah. But we have to remember that religion did have a structure to how things worked within it. There were rules hat governed how the world worked. It just turns out these rules were woefully uninformed. When man began to properly answer more and more questions that religion could not, these answers were applied to things that religion had already explained. The result was the dark ages, where scientific thought not in support of God's existence was punishable by death. It wasn't until the Renaissance when man lifted the veil of religion to find true scientific thought behind it.

So where would man be if not for religion? In caves.

Where will man be if we refuse to give it up? At war.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Without religion science would be considerably more advanced by now. Education systems would be ahead of their time.

Many scientific advancements have been blocked/delayed by the catholic church in the middle ages and by the islam in the middle east, wich was once a super power.
Maybe we would already have tech to manipulate genes or any other sci-fi thing you can think of. Maybe even star travel. Who knows?

Maybe humanism would have replaced it in terms of values. Maybe less wars cause people don't believe in an after life and value this life more. It could only have been better.

Political ideology.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:
How would a world without religion even come about? A we gained more time to reflect we begin to wonder about the origins of the Earth and the mysteries of death.

It's easy. You just need people that have the balls to answer "I don't know" when asked questions about those things instead of making shit up.

We don't just say "I don't know" in regards to religion though, we say it for essentially every topic.

It is hard to know what exactly is a direct causation from religion and what isn't. I don't think I'm comfortable with immediately believing that religion would easily be replaced by something else with the exact same rules and measurements. I think that, while many of the toxic ideas of religion are basic human instincts, that saying we'd end up at nearly the same place or that religion hasn't at least fostered those instincts might be wrong. So really, I don't know, and I'm not going to make an educated guess.