By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If Religion was never a thing, what would have replaced it?

VGPolyglot said:
Proxy-Pie said:
Nationalism.

We've even had religious nationalism, like in India/Pakistan.

And the US.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it arguably all nationalism has ties to religion, at least in the extremist elements anyways. So that can't really replace religion when they already go hand in hand.

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 30 March 2018

Around the Network
Wiibaron said:
Just imagine how the world would be if 1/2 the people didn't believe that their actions while alive on Earth determine your punishment after you die. Being afraid of eternal punishment helps keep people 'in line' as far as treating others. Not a believer myself, but I am sure glad most do.

one of the very few I could agree with

why do people refer to religion as a way to obtain power...  can't you see around you? the most efficient way to obtain power is by obtaining money, it's always been that way, nothing to do with religion

the answer to the OP is very simple in my opinion, money

the very point of religion is that wealth is spiritual, not material

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
Wiibaron said:
Just imagine how the world would be if 1/2 the people didn't believe that their actions while alive on Earth determine your punishment after you die. Being afraid of eternal punishment helps keep people 'in line' as far as treating others. Not a believer myself, but I am sure glad most do.

why do people refer to religion as a way to obtain power...  can't you see around you? the most efficient way to obtain power is by obtaining money, it's always been that way, nothing to do with religion

Religion has been around longer than money though, so clearly that's not the case.

Ka-pi96 said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

Religion has been around longer than money though, so clearly that's not the case.

Maybe currency, but I assume resources that were directly traded precede religion.

Same shit different day. We would have the same issues. People like to believe in something. A cause or ideology. It can be far worse than any religion.

Around the Network

Ancient Egyyptian Cave Apes? 6000 years ago? Really Spurge? Can you elaborate on this phrase please?

religion which to me is faith in something beyond empirical evidence is a fundamental aspect of being a human, so to me your proposition is not possible
ironically i've been noticing that many of the people who claim to be staunchly against religion happen to have some of the most delusional beliefs i have ever seen and the irony of it never ceases to amaze me

VGPolyglot said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah but that's why religion exists in the first place. Because instead of saying they didn't know somebody made up a load of bullshit.

So, it's virtually impossible to imagine a world without it then.

Well, yes. Keep in mind religion is like a primordial science. It was the desire to explain. If man had never sought to explain with myth, he would have never thought to explain with fact.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

o_O.Q said:
religion which to me is faith in something beyond empirical evidence is a fundamental aspect of being a human, so to me your proposition is not possible
ironically i've been noticing that many of the people who claim to be staunchly against religion happen to have some of the most delusional beliefs i have ever seen and the irony of it never ceases to amaze me

For instance?

Juggling.
All-day, every-day.
Until their fingers bleed.