By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Level-5 CEO: All future main titles to be released for Switch, and more.

VGPolyglot said:
Signalstar said:

Those are Sony IPs.

So, unless those don't count as major releases, I guess we're never seeing future instalments of those.

Well no. Level 5 only has control over the IP they own. They don't have a say on where DQ, Dark Cloud, etc go and if they agree to make it for their respective publisher, they'll do just that. That said, there's only been a single L5 IP that wasn't on a Nintendo platform and that's Ni no Kuni. If there's a Ni no Kuni III, I wouldn't be surprised to see it on Switch but every other game in their catalogue since the Danball Senki series died as been Nintendo exclusive.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
VGPolyglot said:

So, unless those don't count as major releases, I guess we're never seeing future instalments of those.

Well no. Level 5 only has control over the IP they own. They don't have a say on where DQ, Dark Cloud, etc go and if they agree to make it for their respective publisher, they'll do just that. That said, there's only been a single L5 IP that wasn't on a Nintendo platform and that's Ni no Kuni. If there's a Ni no Kuni III, I wouldn't be surprised to see it on Switch but every other game in their catalogue since the Danball Senki series died as been Nintendo exclusive.

Well, I don't know what deal they have with Sony, but Sony obviously hasn't been interested in reviving the Dark Cloud franchise on their own.

VGPolyglot said:
outlawauron said:

Well, I don't know what deal they have with Sony, but Sony obviously hasn't been interested in reviving the Dark Cloud franchise on their own.

Oh no, it's super dead. It's just an example of a franchise that Level 5 has no ownership in and was only commissioned to develop. Dragon Quest XI and White Knight Chronicles is the most recent example of that afaik.

outlawauron said:
VGPolyglot said:

Oh no, it's super dead. It's just an example of a franchise that Level 5 has no ownership in and was only commissioned to develop. Dragon Quest XI and White Knight Chronicles is the most recent example of that afaik.

To be honest, I've played a bit of Dark Cloud 1 myself and what ended up happening was that my weapons would always break so I would only do 1 damage for every attack.

VGPolyglot said:
outlawauron said:

To be honest, I've played a bit of Dark Cloud 1 myself and what ended up happening was that my weapons would always break so I would only do 1 damage for every attack.

Yeah, it can be pretty unforgiving. You have to be pretty careful about your Weapon HP. I'd recommend just stocking up on repair powder from the guy that sells them.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
VGPolyglot said:

Yeah, it can be pretty unforgiving. You have to be pretty careful about your Weapon HP. I'd recommend just stocking up on repair powder from the guy that sells them.

Hmm, I was still close to the beginning myself, made it to the point where I got the catgirl(?) as a playable character so maybe I just needed to get the groove of things more.

NintendoPie said:
Train wreck said:

I don't see what difference producing games for a 23 million selling 3DS will change to a multi-million selling Switch in Japan. Switch development doesn't mean IP expansion. They really need to focus on westward expansion of their IPs as their current portfolio is in decline in Japan.

The Switch can easily outperform the 3DS in the West. There's your "westward expansion."

Not to mention, L5's IP decline in Japan is due to their own stupidity and mismanagement of those franchises, not due to whatever platform it's on.

The interviewer just asked the wrong question.  Level 5's Switch development was a given.  The more important one, to me, is what they do with their IPs going forward, especially in the west.  Westward expansion means more than just the Nintendo switch will sell more than the 3DS.  It requires investing in making their games more appealing to the west, akin to what Square Enix is doing with Dragon Quest XI by adding VA or expanding the budgets (development and advertising in Capcom's case with Monster Hunter World) and expanding platforms (which both did with Xbox and PC for MHW and PC for Dragon Quest).

I wonder if they'll try to get Ni No Kuni 1 and 2 on Switch cause i think they would do well there

Ka-pi96 said:
outlawauron said:

It was on DS.

Ni no Kuni II is not. It falls under the IP. I thought about fluffing out my sentence to avoid someone trying to nitpick, but I thought it was understood.

outlawauron said:
Ka-pi96 said:

It was on DS.

Ni no Kuni II is not. It falls under the IP. I thought about fluffing out my sentence to avoid someone trying to nitpick, but I thought it was understood.

Not to mention, the DS version of NNK was never localized.