By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Handheld Consoles always felt like a compomised experience before the Nintendo Switch.

Does the Nintendo Switch feel like it is a true Home Console when playing in Handheld mode?

Yes 28 56.00%

No 22 44.00%

Total:50

I've never really had issues with portable consoles compared to home consoles. I just saw them as 2 different devices, rather than one being inferior to the other. There were a share of excellent games on them like their home console counterpart, and some games worked really well on it, like a lil game called Pokemon...

The DS really stands out among portable consoles, really allowing for some clever ideas with the 2nd screen. One of my favorite series, Trauma Center, may have never been made were it not for the DS.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

I'm not sure I would call it a "full" console experience, but playing on the Switch does feel very much like I'm playing a home console game... on a handheld.

Very few titles seem to suffer unduly in docked mode (XC2 is a notable exception).

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Cloudman said:
I've never really had issues with portable consoles compared to home consoles. I just saw them as 2 different devices, rather than one being inferior to the other. There were a share of excellent games on them like their home console counterpart, and some games worked really well on it, like a lil game called Pokemon...

The DS really stands out among portable consoles, really allowing for some clever ideas with the 2nd screen. One of my favorite series, Trauma Center, may have never been made were it not for the DS.

I think DS was the best handheld, IMO.  The huge sales meant lots of titles.  The 2 screens were a gimmick that was actually useful, and cool.  It was my favorite handheld system ever (and I've owned every major handheld).  

KBG29 said:
I think the Vita was even less compromised than the Switch, but as you said, it is the most squandered device in history.

The Switch is the first has now proved once again that console level experiences are possible on a mobile platform. It will be a great platform for offline Nintendo games on the go.

Now we just need a connected device, that also offers the 3rd parties. That is the final thing missing to make a great Mobile gaming platform. Give us 4G/5G, so we can game online on the go, and make calls/text all from one device.The wait has been too long.

No we don't need, reality is that nobody really cares about that exept you (at least at this cite :)), you can use WiFi or HotSpot from your phone if you don't have WiFi connection. Just for the record, we will probably never have  4G/5G option for Switch.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 28 March 2018

Well Switch is gavin oportiny to play full AAA games in full handheld mode (Zelda BotW, MK8D, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Doom, Skyrim, Dark Souls Remaster 1...) so thats game changer.

Around the Network

I voted Yes in the poll. But, that's not a great representation of my opinion.

I think Switch is great. It does provide a great gaming experience, and you can play it anywhere you want. But, when compared to even the OG XBone and PS4, it doesn't even feel like "true console experience" when playing docked. It just doesn't have the power. And, as others have mentioned, the controls are sub-par. It does feel like a huge step forward for handhelds though. It feels, much, much, much more like a home console than a Nintendo handheld ever has.

However, those other platforms have progressed from their original iterations. When compared to the best console tech that is readily available (the XBX or PS4 Pro), Switch isn't even in the same ballpark. It is roughly a decade behind. That's a long, long time in gaming.

With all of that said, I think this is a great time to be a gamer. There are current platforms at every price point. 2DS can be had for $80 in the US. Excellent gaming machines like PS4 and Xbone are just a couple hundred bucks. Switch lets us play top-tier games on the go. The XBX is an absolute beast of a plug-and-play machine at $500. Gaming PCS have never been better, or more accessible in terms of entry-level price. There are good games available for a few bucks, and new, AAA games are the same price they were 20 years ago. VR is finally accessible to the average gamer, and can be had for just a few hundred dollars. I'm 37 years old, and my dad was an early gamer. I've been playing since I could hold a joystick. I think I am qualified to say that this is the best time for gaming ever.

The Switch plays games that are designed for home consoles. But it does not just feel like a handheld that can do anything a home console can do on the go and has every input home console's do, it does that and much more, like for example actually being a home console also.

Eh, I feel that the Switch is the worst handheld of the lot, so I voted No by default. I've never bought handhelds to play 'home console' games, so for me the entire concept sucks, not to mention that it will compromise the most important thing: the number of games coming to the platform.

To me, PSP did a fantastic job. Playing games like God of War, MGS Peace Walker and Crisis Core FF all gave me the feel of playing a portable game that feels like a home console.

And then when they had the docking feature on PSP to hook up to TV while using a DS3 controller was icing on the cake to make it more like a home console.

So I can only imagine with today's technology that the Switch is far better at making portable gaming feel like home console gaming.

Vita and Switch felt or feel current in way previous handhelds felt a generation behind. I don't know how people played Monster Hunter without a second analog stick on PSP and 3DS, it's such a critical function to me.