By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Handheld Consoles always felt like a compomised experience before the Nintendo Switch.

Does the Nintendo Switch feel like it is a true Home Console when playing in Handheld mode?

Yes 28 56.00%

No 22 44.00%

Total:50
d21lewis said:
Poor Turbo EXpress. Gets no love despite playing the exact same games as the Turbo Grafx-16.

Well Turbo Grafx-16 was a compromised experience in itself so the portable version was too by default.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Medisti said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Hm, in a thread that began with an opinion, you want me to have to repeat "in my opinion" for every opinion I state? If I say something, it's coming from me, and there's no objective measurement to prove me right or wrong, it's obviously an opinion right? I would expect you to be able to understand that. 

Would you, please?

Nope. As far as I'm concerned you've wasted my time for no good reason. You're just going to have to use your brain to figure out what is an opinion and what isn't. 

The Switch is still a compromised experience.
Visually it pales in comparison to the PC, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Playstation 4, Playstation 4 Pro.

The difference between now and then however is that visually it's at a level that is "good enough" for allot of people, graphics snobs like myself will still deride it however.

On the performance side of the equation... 60fps games like Doom are compromised on the Switch with a 30fps cap, often falling below that number.

The Joycons aren't my cup of tea either, might be okay for a child, but I have large hands.

Then you have the terrible 720P, 6.2" screen, it's not winning any pixel density competitions.

In short, there is still a ton of room for improvement with the Switch, hopefully Nintendo gets there one day.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Then you have the terrible 720P, 6.2" screen, it's not winning any pixel density competitions.

In short, there is still a ton of room for improvement with the Switch, hopefully Nintendo gets there one day.

Not to mention it's still missing HDR10/Rec. 2020 colour space support and adaptive refresh rates like in the consoles ... 

G-Sync HDR was a missed opportunity on the Switch ... 

VAMatt said:
Cloudman said:
I've never really had issues with portable consoles compared to home consoles. I just saw them as 2 different devices, rather than one being inferior to the other. There were a share of excellent games on them like their home console counterpart, and some games worked really well on it, like a lil game called Pokemon...

The DS really stands out among portable consoles, really allowing for some clever ideas with the 2nd screen. One of my favorite series, Trauma Center, may have never been made were it not for the DS.

I think DS was the best handheld, IMO.  The huge sales meant lots of titles.  The 2 screens were a gimmick that was actually useful, and cool.  It was my favorite handheld system ever (and I've owned every major handheld).  

Yeah, I think the DS has one of the better gimmicks in comparison to other consoles. Being able to play older games like GBA games was also a nice plus.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
KBG29 said:

I have no interest in PC or Smartphones going away. For the people that want them they are great.

In the home space I am content. PS4 and XBO can take care of anything I need from a home computing platform.

In the mobile space I don't even have an option. I have to have a worthless device to make calls and texts. All I am asking is that I have the option to use my handheld to do these simple tasks. I don't care if it comes from Apple, Samsung, Nintndo, Micosoft, or Sony, I would just like a mobile option where I can play games like Fortnight or Pubg with console quality controls.

Consoles have not been pure gaming devices for over two decades. Ken Kutaragi envisioned the PlayStation as the hub of our digital lives. I have been buying into that dream since 1999. PlayStation was supposed to be iOS/Android years before they even started, but Sony's higher ups did not build on Ken's vision. 

You have the mobile phone and the tablet, both of which can connect to a PC. You have keyboards that can connect to mobile & Tablet devices, as well as storage ones too.

We do not need handheld gaming designed devices becoming exactly the same as a mobile/tablet device, because those other two serve their purpose, and they do so to billions out there.

Consoles have been primarily used as gaming devices for decades. Just because they allow you to listen to music and watch Netflix doesn't automatically take away the fact that the systems are designed purely for gaming first and everything else second and third. 

People have different ideas for the future, and it appears that the majority do not share in one man's "I think we should all be doing this like it or not" dream. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

The vita was certainly compromised, but sony absolutely did not want to cannibalize any ps4 sales during it's war of domination against microsoft.

I have a pstv which really is not bad. It's a shame it doesn't really have local multiplayer as that's what I mostly do nowadays.

Chazore said:
KBG29 said:

I have no interest in PC or Smartphones going away. For the people that want them they are great.

In the home space I am content. PS4 and XBO can take care of anything I need from a home computing platform.

In the mobile space I don't even have an option. I have to have a worthless device to make calls and texts. All I am asking is that I have the option to use my handheld to do these simple tasks. I don't care if it comes from Apple, Samsung, Nintndo, Micosoft, or Sony, I would just like a mobile option where I can play games like Fortnight or Pubg with console quality controls.

Consoles have not been pure gaming devices for over two decades. Ken Kutaragi envisioned the PlayStation as the hub of our digital lives. I have been buying into that dream since 1999. PlayStation was supposed to be iOS/Android years before they even started, but Sony's higher ups did not build on Ken's vision. 

You have the mobile phone and the tablet, both of which can connect to a PC. You have keyboards that can connect to mobile & Tablet devices, as well as storage ones too.

We do not need handheld gaming designed devices becoming exactly the same as a mobile/tablet device, because those other two serve their purpose, and they do so to billions out there.

Consoles have been primarily used as gaming devices for decades. Just because they allow you to listen to music and watch Netflix doesn't automatically take away the fact that the systems are designed purely for gaming first and everything else second and third. 

People have different ideas for the future, and it appears that the majority do not share in one man's "I think we should all be doing this like it or not" dream. 

You're too kind to him. There's plenty of cases with built in controllers that KBG could use. The developers of fortnite already annonced they will be adding bluetooth controller support, so there's already or soon will be a way to play fortnite  exactly as he described. But, since these phones are not as powerful as a PS4 and the controls are left to the game developers instead of supported automatically by the platform, It's just not good enough for the likes of Kevyn here. Ohh no. Sony is supposed to make a mobile Playstation phone that would likely be the most expensive phone in history, and sink all of that development time for a few thousand in sales at best because he would really like one.

I have a really hard time imagining Ken Kutagari stating that he envisioned playstation's OS to be on phones and car stereos and for all of those devices to interact with each other seamlessly and play the same copies of games. Source?

Ken oversaw the development of 4 of the 6 Sony consoles so he had plenty of time to implement his "Playstation is the hub of our digital lives" vision. Kev, are you forgetting his vision caused him to foolishly produce a "FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLAR" console that had him ousted, and forced his successors to fight tooth and nail for years to recover from such a mis-step? As it turns out, the people who are interested in game consoles aren't willing to shell out hundreds extra to be on the bleeding edge of home entertainment technology. Meanwhile I bet dollars to donuts when our boy Kev here saw the PS3 announcement he thought something along the lines of "Why didn't they announce a PS3 that plays every game in 1080p/60fps, and has a built in DVR for $1199? I would have bought that day one!" . Meanwhile the PS4 Pro didn't even ship with a 4K blu-ray drive, and Kev here just isn't cluing in that Sony has zero interest in making the products Kevyn wants since you know, they want to make money.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Medisti said:

Would you, please?

Nope. As far as I'm concerned you've wasted my time for no good reason. You're just going to have to use your brain to figure out what is an opinion and what isn't. 

I can't figure out if the bolded statement is opinion or not. See what you've done?

At the same time, if the other consoles came out now, wouldn’t you say that Switch felt like a compromised console experience until now?