By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Should we become God?

Should we become gods?

Yes. 12 48.00%

No. 7 28.00%

Indifferent or unsure. 6 24.00%

Total:25

We'll by my definition you cannot become the God. You have to be eternal that is ever existing have no beginning or end for one. Then you have to be all powerful that means you don't need food to survive sleep to sustain yourselves etc. Then you need to be above nature that is stand alone have no fathers mother's or children also you have to have the power of willing things into existence that is say Be and it is. You have to be omnipotent omniscience all seeing all hearing. A lot of other criteria's but just the first one alone disqualifies you let alone that you have to live outside nature space and time and all physical limitations and boundaries so you can never even hope to become God

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

Ok, first, we created God. Someone wrote a story book and people started taking it as fact to wash away the fear of death. No one can become omnipotent gods, that is a nonsensical imaginary construct. You can become creators though, just like we are creators of the concept of God.

Second, that kind of tech is the realm of sci-fi. What is your consciousnesses? This is likely a group of cells. How can you transfer a group of cells into a computer? You can't. You could at best make a copy of the information on them, IF you learned how to read it.

There's the brain in a fluid can theories. If the cells of the brain can be kept alive and regrowing, then, yes, you could live a long time in your conscious. I can't imagine that being a great experience though.

If we discover what makes us conscious, should we replicate it in machines? No, that's a very bad idea for safety reasons..

Can we (human race) control genetics? At some point we might be able to, yes.

So, yeah, we are and can continue to be creators. We can't be some nonsense we made up though.

edit: typos!

Last edited by Nem - on 29 March 2018

John2290 said:
Nem said:

Ok, first, we created God. Someone wrote a story book and people started taking it as fact to wash away the fear of death. No, one can become omnipotent gods, that is a nonsensical imaginary construct. You can become creators though, just like we are creators of the concept of God.

Second, that kind of tech is the realm of sci-fi. What is your counciousness? This is likely a group of cells. How can you transfer a group of cells into a computer? You can't. You could at best make a copy of the information on them, IF you learned how to read it.

Theres the brain in a fluid can theories. If the cells of the brain can be kept alive and regrowing, then, yes, you could live a long time in your councious. I can't imagine that being a great experience though.

If we discover what makes us councious, should we replicate it in machines? No, thats a very bad idea for safety reasons..

So, yeah, we are and can continue to be creators. We can't be some nonsense we made up though.

You don't nor can you know or prove that.

I also don't know if the flying spaguetti monster is not real nor can prove that.

Anything you can imagine can be real.

So, you gonna have to tell us how you gonna go around proving something IS real.

Nem said:

Ok, first, we created God. Someone wrote a story book and people started taking it as fact to wash away the fear of death. No, one can become omnipotent gods, that is a nonsensical imaginary construct. You can become creators though, just like we are creators of the concept of God.

Second, that kind of tech is the realm of sci-fi. What is your counciousness? This is likely a group of cells. How can you transfer a group of cells into a computer? You can't. You could at best make a copy of the information on them, IF you learned how to read it.

Theres the brain in a fluid can theories. If the cells of the brain can be kept alive and regrowing, then, yes, you could live a long time in your councious. I can't imagine that being a great experience though.

If we discover what makes us councious, should we replicate it in machines? No, thats a very bad idea for safety reasons..

There is no reason why a human mind cannot be copied perfectly and with identical thought processes made artificial. It may require very sophisticated technology 100s of years in the future but as a existing physical operating device the brain can be copied. I think a long time before that we would have cured cell ageing and other issues though. Much easier to repair a working device than reinvent it as something different. Making the brain immune from deterioration is much easier.

We may get upgrades in the future, a math's unit, all the known knowledge of the universe etc, we won't have to type into google we simply want the information and have it instantly.  We may find our own personality is such a small part of the brain, the quirky way we think and approach problems and that is the only bit we need to replicate. How we process light, feel, balance etc these are generic processing anyway. Our own personal memories and logic are only a part of the brain that needs to be replicated.  

i say people should do whatever they’re capable of if they want to do it. might as well see what happens. worst comes to worst (or best), i doubt much would change in the universe.

Around the Network

I will respond after Easter, but basically, no... Becoming a de facto universal admin is a bad idea... I'd rather become a genie...

Epic was right all along...