By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD, PS4 2015 vs NSW 2018 (December added)

Who wins?

PS4 66 40.24%

NSW 84 51.22%

Tie 14 8.54%

Total:164
DonFerrari said:
Nuvendil said:

Funny how some people will no doubt make a big deal about the Switch not beating the PS4 every NPD but here we have evidence, cold hard evidence, that the Switch is still very healthy thus far.

Especially when you consider the PS4 had 8 significant releases in Q1 and the Switch had 2 and some midtier backup.

Just a hunch, but I am pretty sure the Switch will feed the PS4 its own eyeballs in Q2 of this comparison.  Although that June boost could help the PS4 draw close to even with it so maybe not.  Q3 might be an easy Switch win depending on Nintendo's plans for August and September.  We know July is stacked.

Q4 is where the PS4 exploded and will be the big challenge.  However overall, I think the two will probably be fairly comparable by the end.  Unless Nintendo busts out a gold holiday bundle+Smash AND Pokemon.  

I do find it interesting how Switch seems more even keeled.  It seems it sells more on its own without major software vs the PS4 at this point was still spiking drastically.

Wasn't Nintendo fans bragging about how much 3rd party support they were getting and how fantastic and strong the HW is? So why didn't these 11 games launch on Switch?

Why would all Q1 2015 PS4 titles be ported to Switch in Q1 2018?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
DonFerrari said:

Wasn't Nintendo fans bragging about how much 3rd party support they were getting and how fantastic and strong the HW is? So why didn't these 11 games launch on Switch?

Not sure where you got 11 since I said 8 but they didn't come to the Switch because they released 3 years ago and Nintendo sold their time machine quite a while back :P

I was comparing Switch's Q1 2018 to PS4's Q1 2015.  Ya know, the whole point of this thread?

So since we are talking about 1st year of a gen versus a late comer they could collect a lot of ports, so even less reason to have no noteworthy games.. but yes I saw 11 instead of 8 for some reason.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

There is a big gap between ALL games being ported, and NO game launching be it a Port or new that was Nuvendil claim. I'm pretty sure from a backlog of 3 years of current gen game there would be some ports that could have released in a full quarter.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

There is a big gap between ALL games being ported, and NO game launching be it a Port or new that was Nuvendil claim. I'm pretty sure from a backlog of 3 years of current gen game there would be some ports that could have released in a full quarter.

Instead of stating nonsense you could just admit that you got mixed up because now you just look silly.

Payday 2, Dragon Quest Builders, Bayonetta 1&2, Outlast 1&2 were late ports that released in Q1 for Switch so it got exactly what you're talking about.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DonFerrari said:
Nuvendil said:

Not sure where you got 11 since I said 8 but they didn't come to the Switch because they released 3 years ago and Nintendo sold their time machine quite a while back :P

I was comparing Switch's Q1 2018 to PS4's Q1 2015.  Ya know, the whole point of this thread?

So since we are talking about 1st year of a gen versus a late comer they could collect a lot of ports, so even less reason to have no noteworthy games.. but yes I saw 11 instead of 8 for some reason.

4 of these 8 titles are Playstation exclusives, Battlefield is a yearly franchise and certainly won't bring out an old game again like that, and Dying Light was originally planned for PS360, but those where too weak for the game, so possibly that applies for the Switch, too. Switch already got Xenoverse 2, why bring the predecessor now? That would leave us with FF Type-0 , But FF games tend to not come out on Nintendo platforms (at least not the same ones as on the other platforms unless they're VC games

If you meant ports in general, just look at the post above mine.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 20 April 2018

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Instead of stating nonsense you could just admit that you got mixed up because now you just look silly.

Payday 2, Dragon Quest Builders, Bayonetta 1&2, Outlast 1&2 were late ports that released in Q1 for Switch so it got exactly what you're talking about.

Then go and question Nuvendill who said Switch only had 2 good games and some midtiers as justification for Switch not winning every month.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
DonFerrari said:

4 of these 8 titles are Playstation exclusives, Battlefield is a yearly franchise and certainly won't bring out an old game again like that, and Dying Light was originally planned for PS360, but those where too weak for the game, so possibly that applies for the Switch, too. Switch already got Xenoverse 2, why bring the predecessor now? That would leave us with FF Type-0 , But FF games tend to not come out on Nintendo platforms (at least not the same ones as on the other platforms unless they're VC games

If you meant ports in general, just look at the post above mine.

Yes I was meaning ports in general, as Nuvendil point was that Switch only had 2 good games and some midtiers, considering how much braging on 3rd party support and receiving ports some fans were doing and considering there is 4 years worth of games to be ported then it is strange if they don't get anything in a full quarter don't you think? And I answered the post above, if there were a good amount of games (which I didn't claim there wasn't, I questioned if that was true then how Nintendo having strong support would hold true) then Nuvendil excuse for Switch not winning every month was empty.

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

Then go and question Nuvendill who said Switch only had 2 good games and some midtiers as justification for Switch not winning every month.

No, what he said is correct. The criteria we are using for major releases are games that make the NPD charts in their debut month. Switch only had 2.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

No, what he said is correct. The criteria we are using for major releases are games that make the NPD charts in their debut month. Switch only had 2.

So are we back to square Nintendo fans buy less 3rd parties?

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

So are we back to square Nintendo fans buy less 3rd parties?

No

outlawauron said:
friendlyfamine said:
Is this thread still alive? I think it would be interesting to follow...here are my (bad) thoughts :p

March - PS4
April - Switch
May - Switch (HWDE, DKC:TF, Dark Souls, Lil Nightmares, Runner3)
June - PS4
July - Switch (Crash, Cap Toad, Octopath, YS8 - June but too late to be impactful, so July)

--
Idk about the rest. But this is based on current releases. July and May are pretty stacked for the Switch so I expect 250k+ each.

July and June will most likely get more stacked as time goes, since there are still TBA games like Hollow Knight, SNK Heroines, Wolf 2 (actually might be latter half of 2018), Okami, Meat Boy Forever, Wargroove etc...

So even though I predict June as a loss since it only has Mario Tennis, more games could get announced for it and E3 could create a temporary sales buzz. Just my thoughts. I think March is a guaranteed loss though, whilst June can still put up a fight.

I don't understand why you're listing games that'll likely be sub 100k in the US has reasons to pushing hardware. The idea of Ys 8 pushing Switch sales is kinda mind blowing lol.

OP: I appreciate the comparison, I hope that you stay on it.

You've misinterpreted my comment. I didn't mean unitary software alone will push hardware, because I'm well aware Ys can't push system sales. I'm referring to the amalgamation of software in the month which will ultimately push more hardware sales. After all, there will be more physical games available in stores as such. I didn't list system sellers. Otherwise there would be none at the moment...