By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft has succeeded in fending off the Vivendi takeover

"Today, Ubisoft announced that it has signed an agreement with Vivendi for its full exit from Ubisoft`s share capital, with the sale of all Vivendi`s 30,489,300 shares. The transaction includes an investment by two new long-term investors, the Relationship Investing arm of Ontario Teachers` Public Equities division,  and Tencent, a share buy-back by Ubisoft, an acquisition of shares by Guillemot Brothers SE and an Accelerated Bookbuilding with institutional investors. Following the implementation of the transaction, Vivendi will no longer hold any shares in Ubisoft, and has committed not to acquire any shares in Ubisoft for 5 years."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ubisoft-entertainment-ubisoft-reaches-agreement-171300865.html

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

So, that stopped Vivendi from doing it, but couldn't that essentially happen again with another company? Isn't this always a potential problem that openly-trading corporations have?

Ubisoft lives to see another day. Also damn super powerful Ontario teacher plan.

This is great news for Ubi. They have come out of this as a better company than they were before this all started. The quality of their releases started to go up, and I don't think this is any coincidence.

Now I hope and pray that Tencent doesnt try to do the same thing Vivendi tried.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Fantastic news. Ubisoft is an amazing dev and I love a lot of their games. Good that they can retain creative freedom and continue along the path they have been

Around the Network

It's so weird to me how people were almost patriotic about this takeover and how they wanted ubisoft to win ... because it came from the same exact circles that constantly circle-jerk hate against Ubisoft alongside companies like EA ....

Either way, I like Ubisoft and despite their bad business ideas I'm glad they're doing ok.

VGPolyglot said:
So, that stopped Vivendi from doing it, but couldn't that essentially happen again with another company? Isn't this always a potential problem that openly-trading corporations have?

Responsible ones who are anxious to avoid a take-over don't even leave open that possibility, and generally such a move can be seen coming from a mile away.

It's a relief to see Vivendi didn't succeed, though... they've been pretty aggressive lately.

I'm not a fan of Ubisoft, but this is simply great news!

Ubisoft's stock is at lifetime highs, Vivendi couldn't afford it.

I'm glad Ubisoft keeps its independence. Out of the big three western publishers, Ubisoft is the one most willing to take risks (not much, still more than Activision and EA), so it's good to have them around without even more corporate strings.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.