By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Announcing Microsoft DirectX Raytracing!

VGPolyglot said:
KBG29 said:
This is another huge part of why I don't want next gen consoles until 2022. Ray Tracing is next gen rendering, it has been aroudn for ages, but it is just becoming a feasible technique in games now. I believe Tim Sweeny from Epic said one time that real time ray traced global illumination should be possible on around a 25TFLOPs GPU.

Between Memeroy, Storage, and the ability to implement new rendering techniques like this, next gen needs to holdoff a few more years. Bring on PS4 Premium and XBO Z in 2019-2020 for those that want current gen games at 4K. Let next gen consoles blow, us, away with brand new tech, and things truly unachieveable on PS4 and XBO.

Well, I don't know if the manufacturers would want to wait that long, they probably want to pump them out earlier to get more sales.

It really depends on Platform engagement. If people are not leavng PS4 and XBO, then they are fine. Moving an already engaged userbase to a new system is not going to help or hurt, it is just status quo. 

I beleive in the long run they will move more units, especially early on, if they have products that truly wow the consumer. 

Stuff like larger RAM, Faster Storage, and new techniques like real time ray tracing will get people to jump on board early, which is the most important thing for a new platform. Give people this gen again, at 4K/60, and it will be very difficult to get even many hardcore gamers excited.

Global Illumination via Ray Tracing can deliver perfect lighting on all games next gen, if they launch at the right time. Release to early and PC will have a substantial lead within the first two years, and the door will be open for Set Top Boxes from Apple, Google, Amazon, and others to come out with much better gaming machines, at mch cheaper prices.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

The problem is Raytracing is suuuuuuuper demanding.

if you use large amounts of it, the demand is so high, you end up with a worse looking game, than if you had just focused on makeing a game without (because of having to make compromises for weaker hardware).

Tbh I dont think raytracing for PS4 or XB1 atm is going to do much of anything (their too weak to use it effectivly).
Next gen either, maybe the one after?

Vasto said:

It is being called " The Future Of Gaming "

Yes maybe next gen we could see abit of it, used right on a console.

If MS dont go by the generation leaps and focus on constant hardware upgrades as rumored. This means future games will have it included and the option turned off if using an older Xbox model. 

I was waiting this. This is the next gen of graphics. Probably the one after the next.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

i remember hearing about ray tracing on PS3 cell processor and also it was ken kutaragi's vision to implement it on the next iteration of CELL processor for PS4 which unfortunately and fortunately never happened 

Peh said:
I was waiting this. This is the next gen of graphics. Probably the one after the next.

Indeed, this is a graphical technique that truly justifies a new generation. PS5 and XB? shouldn't arrive until they can make good use of this as a baseline, with their in-gen upgrades pushing it even further.

Next gen with 4K/60 and full Ray Traced Global Illumination would be perfect. Then a 6K/8K Checkerboard upgrade, and finally a true 8K model. 

How amazing would games look in 8K/60 with full Ray Traced Global Illumination on PS5 Premium? Have you seen the GOW TV Spot? That or better? I hope so!

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
That Remedy demo is disappointing already, the need to denoise even specular reflections just dampens any momentum behind the technology ...

The numbers ain't looking good either since spending 4-5ms per ray (need more than 1 to get a high quality noise free image) on a single with a Titan V sounds like it's out of reach even for real-time use cases even for top end hardware of today and probably next generation ...

Nvidia has stated that they are working on a denoiser.
I guess we will have to wait to see, how effective that is.

I can remember washimul talking about this and the cell having the capability

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Rendered in 1991 - I remember dreaming of games that are raytraced in real time... 30 years later and its nearly possible ;P

EDIT: Checkerboard rendering i 1991 LOL ;)

KBG29 said:
Peh said:

Indeed, this is a graphical technique that truly justifies a new generation. PS5 and XB? shouldn't arrive until they can make good use of this as a baseline, with their in-gen upgrades pushing it even further.

Next gen with 4K/60 and full Ray Traced Global Illumination would be perfect. Then a 6K/8K Checkerboard upgrade, and finally a true 8K model. 

How amazing would games look in 8K/60 with full Ray Traced Global Illumination on PS5 Premium? Have you seen the GOW TV Spot? That or better? I hope so!

I agree totally with you on this. 

KBG29 said:
Peh said:

That Remedy Entertainment demo was rendered at 1080p30 on a $3000 USD GPU.
Have you seen how much noise is in the render.

You will need to wait for a breakthrough and / or a generation after the PS5 / Xbox Two.