By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Announcing Microsoft DirectX Raytracing!

This is pretty cool if it'll actually be viable any time soon. Still, the fact that we're getting this now is a sign that it shouldn't be too far in the future anymore.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
This is pretty cool if it'll actually be viable any time soon. Still, the fact that we're getting this now is a sign that it shouldn't be too far in the future anymore.

I still imagine it being 4-5 more years until we start seeing a small handful of games making full use of RT.

Even then, I could see it getting more use on PC for the higher end. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Zkuq said:

I still imagine it being 4-5 more years until we start seeing a small handful of games making full use of RT.

Even then, I could see it getting more use on PC for the higher end. 

Perhaps my perception of time has changed as I've gained more years (although I'm not exactly old...), but I feel like 4-5 years fits my description in this case.

View on YouTube

Peek into the future of real-time computer graphics with “Reflections,” the first demonstration of real-time raytracing in Unreal Engine 4 using Microsoft’s new DXR framework and NVIDIA RTX technology for Volta GPUs. The Reflections demo illustrates the next-gen experimental lighting and rendering techniques in Unreal Engine, developed in collaboration with NVIDIA and ILMxLAB.