By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Tomb Raider (2018) reviews and Box Office- 48 Metacritic, 50% Rotten Tomatoes, $211m

Smartie900 said:
xMetroid said:
It has some time to make good money. There is no major release in the coming weeks if i'm not mistaken (only big ones like PR are expected to flop).
I think the movie will make enough to be profitable.

Ready Player One is coming out soon. Pacific Rim and Black Panther will provide it enough competition.

Well like i said, Pacifc Rim is expected to be a big flop and RPO too. Not saying it won't have any competition but it won't be super strong. Black panther has been in theaters for a month now it will start slowing down in coming weekends.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
xMetroid said:
It has some time to make good money. There is no major release in the coming weeks if i'm not mistaken (only big ones like PR are expected to flop).
I think the movie will make enough to be profitable.

I don't know.  PR may underperform, but that doesn't mean it still can't draw away audiences from TR.  You also have Sherlock Gnome, which is going to attract families.  And don't forget BP, which is still doing great.  It will most likely have just a drop of 35%-40% next weekend, which is smaller than the drop TR will most likely see, 50%-60%, depending on word of mouth.  Then, on its 3rd weekend you have Ready Player One releasing.  That's going to attract gamers and the average moviegoer, as well as families, more than a TR film.  After that weekend, its just going to be picking at scraps. 

And to compare it to the Angelina Jolie film, that one opened with $47.7M, didn't have horrible drops, and ended up at $131.2M at the DBO.  That's a multiplier of 2.75x.  If this one reaches $23M this weekend, and sees the same multiplier, that would put DBO at just $63.25M.  FBO is going to have to do some very heavy lifting if it's going to reach that $230M-$250M.

And i didn't say it won't have any competition but there is no MAJOR release that could destroy the movie and make it impossible to breathe. There is no way it will do these numbers domestic but these movies are always saved by overseas numbers and that's what i'm expecting. 

xMetroid said:
Smartie900 said:

Ready Player One is coming out soon. Pacific Rim and Black Panther will provide it enough competition.

Well like i said, Pacifc Rim is expected to be a big flop and RPO too. Not saying it won't have any competition but it won't be super strong. Black panther has been in theaters for a month now it will start slowing down in coming weekends.

Who is expecting RPO to flop?

After SXSW Premiere I expect it to be a major hit in the US. It may not be a big success WW though. 

shikamaru317 said:
Dark_Feanor said:

After SXSW Premiere I expect it to be a major hit in the US. It may not be a big success WW though. 

Domestically  it has a projected opening of just $35m, against a rather large $175m production budget, which is more like $400m needed to break even. Going to take both really good legs and a strong foreign box office performance to make it profitable. 

From what I have read, trackers are putting it at $45M-$55M.  Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it beats those predictions, even if by only a little.  As long as the film isn't bad, I really don't see how it could flop, given the premise and amount of nostalgia involved with the film.  It should definitely be a big hit at the FBO.

shikamaru317 said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Domestically  it has a projected opening of just $35m, against a rather large $175m production budget, which is more like $400m needed to break even. Going to take both really good legs and a strong foreign box office performance to make it profitable. 

WTF?!

35mi?!

Has Warner abandoned the movie and is not promoting it?

In this scenario JW might be the only non comic book movie to open higher than 100mi this year. 

Around the Network

I don't see any hype for RPO even on video game forums most seems to be unbothered.
I really don't care about the movie personally and i don't expect it to be a hit or close to it. It will just be overshadowed by releasing "close" to Avengers.

shikamaru317 said:
thismeintiel said:

From what I have read, trackers are putting it at $45M-$55M.  Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it beats those predictions, even if by only a little.  As long as the film isn't bad, I really don't see how it could flop, given the premise and amount of nostalgia involved with the film.  It should definitely be a big hit at the FBO.

This is the one I saw:

Might have changed since then though. 

The one I saw was Variety. But, they may be the same prediction, as it was $45M-$55M for the 4 day weekend, instead of just 3. Still, I can see it besting those expectations if it's a good movie. Seems to have gotten mainly good buzz from the SXSW festival, which these predictions happened before. 

Just saw it an hour ago, it was bad xD

MasterThief said:
KLAMarine said:
I get a feeling critics don't care for video games or animation.

there is no reason to even have a story that has an impact on anything. it can be nonsense. unless its marvel if you want to make a movie. do not make a comedy movie unless you are using a british accent because apparently the British are the gold standard of funny nowdays (yeah its sad.) and Gravity and  2049  and dunkirk are apparently good movies . the shock on my face after watching gravity . what was even the impact of any of these movies on the universe they were in? its like am watching a documentary.

they just want something extremely hipster and strange.  or if you are a part of an established franchise you get an easy high rating. have you seen the rise of planet of the apes movies. they are fucking atrocious. 

just look at rotten tomaates top list for last year :  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/?year=2017

more than half of these movies only your art gallery nerd will watch. 

if you are expecting good reviews to a heavy action movie. you will not get them.

You say like this list have a bunch of Lars Von Trier-style movies, but the only thing I can think of looking at that list is that that is pretty nice mix. Aside from the dramas there is a bunch of sci-fis, animations, horrors, comedies, and if your point is about action movies I could show that Baby Driver, Logan Lucky, John Wick 2, besides the usual super hero flicks are on that list.

Of course tastes are subjective, I for example thought that Gravity, Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049 and Planet of the Apes were dope. 2049 was easily one of the best movies I've watched and I'm gonna regret for the rest of my life for not watching on theaters, but you can't preach a witch hunt because some movies outside your circle are getting praised. I didn't liked Moonlight but I don't question the reviews becuase I can recognize that everything was on point on the movie,even if it didn't left an impression on me.

EDIT: Oh wait,you were banned. Never mind...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Wish this movie was doing better. Its really solid. Crappy story aside and poor characters, Alicia is the perfect Lara Croft. The action, stealth sequence and setpieces are really good too. I dont know why anyone would give it less than 3/5.