By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What will be the Best Selling Game This Year?

What will be the best Selling Game This Year?

FIFA 18 2 2.35%

Battlefeild 5 1 1.18%

Black Ops III 32 37.65%

Smash Bros For Switch 14 16.47%

Nintend Labo 1 1.18%

Red Dead Redemption 2 29 34.12%

Other 6 7.06%

Total:85
Bofferbrauer2 said:
MasterThief said:
what was the last time COD was not the best selling game outside of the occasional GTA.

2016, beaten by Pokemon, Fifa and Uncharted.

2014, Pokemon again

2013, GTAV and Pokemon

2006-2010: Anything the Wii and DS churned out

So it's actually not that often that CoD was leading unless you add up all versions. And Fifa is doing worse than I remembered.

But considering Pokemon consistently beat CoD, if Pokemon would be to come out this year for the Switch, it should take the first spot. Otherwise, CoD, Fifa and Smash will likely duke it out on top

Dude, what are you talking about? You aren't even adding up the platforms of the game and blindly looking at the yearly chart from vgchartz. That doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't you add up all versions? 

Around the Network

Call of Duty easily. There is some serious hype going on in the CoD community for Black Ops IIII. Quite a few people were disappointed with WWII and that sucker still managed to sell more than 20 million units. Black Ops IIII will top that.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Smash Bros wins !

adisababa said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

2016, beaten by Pokemon, Fifa and Uncharted.

2014, Pokemon again

2013, GTAV and Pokemon

2006-2010: Anything the Wii and DS churned out

So it's actually not that often that CoD was leading unless you add up all versions. And Fifa is doing worse than I remembered.

But considering Pokemon consistently beat CoD, if Pokemon would be to come out this year for the Switch, it should take the first spot. Otherwise, CoD, Fifa and Smash will likely duke it out on top

Dude, what are you talking about? You aren't even adding up the platforms of the game and blindly looking at the yearly chart from vgchartz. That doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't you add up all versions? 

That's why I said unless you add up all versions. If you do, then yeah 2014  goes to CoD. Still no 2013 (GTA V) or 2016 (Fifa 17)

The basic idea was that individually CoD ain't selling that great compared to it's heyday (it's still selling very well, just for CoD standards, unimpressive numbers) and that other games can very well have a shot, especially if the game fizzles out like Ghosts or Infinite Warfare did.

Flilix said:
BlackBeauty said:

The last smash sold 14 - 15 million copies.

You think this one, a hyped up game on a hugely popular console will less than that?

Every single major release on switch is setting records on their respective franchise.

Unlike any other big Nintendo game, Smash 4 released on both the Wii U and 3DS, so I doubt Smash 5 will sell a lot more than that on the Switch. Even if it does sell better than Smash 4, it still won't sell enough to beat Black Ops 4 (which will probably sell 20-25 million, 30 million including digital).

I’m going to need receipts. When was the last time a cod game touch 15 million? Lol

Where are you getting these numbers?

Smash will sell a lot more on the switch like every game release on switch. Why am I repeating myself?

We haven’t even seen the software ceilings on switch yet. The switch is selling software far higher than both the Wii U and 3ds put together. 

Around the Network

Where are people getting the cod numbers?

Npds? Because mirco transactions are fudging with the numbers due to a revenue based charts.

BlackBeauty said:
Flilix said:

Unlike any other big Nintendo game, Smash 4 released on both the Wii U and 3DS, so I doubt Smash 5 will sell a lot more than that on the Switch. Even if it does sell better than Smash 4, it still won't sell enough to beat Black Ops 4 (which will probably sell 20-25 million, 30 million including digital).

I’m going to need receipts. When was the last time a cod game touch 15 million? Lol

Smash will sell a lot more on the switch like every game release on switch. Why am I repeating myself?

We haven’t even seen the software ceilings on switch yet. The switch is selling software far higher than both the Wii U and 3ds put together. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=call+of+duty

Call of Duty Black Ops 3 - PS4 - 14.99 million
Call of Duty Black Ops 3 - XOne - 7.26 million
Total: 22.25 million, excluding digital

Flilix said:
BlackBeauty said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=call+of+duty

Call of Duty Black Ops 3 - PS4 - 14.99 million
Call of Duty Black Ops 3 - XOne - 7.26 million
Total: 22.25 million, excluding digital

Well, VGchartz Lol I don’t trust this site.

Anyways, the new one ain’t touching that. Xbox is dead as a platform.

BlackBeauty said:

When was the last time a cod game touch 15 million? Lol

Huh?

The series has sold over 250m as of February 2016,  https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160211006451/en

whichmeans that as of that point the average yearly sales for the franchise was around 19m units, and that number would be higher with the absence of the first 4 years, as CoD really took off with Modern Warfare, and no CoD title released in 2004.

So yes CoD almost always sells over 15m, WW2 has definitely sold over 15m units. The only one in recent memory that probably hasn't is infinite warfare.

Also here's another tip, if you're not going to accept data from VGChartz, maybe supply data of your own when making claims, especially ones that go against the norm. Don't make other people search to prove your point.

If Red read redemption releases I'm gonna bet it's the best selling. Even though CoD bo4 might over take it. But I'm going with rdr