By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Black Panther Currently @ $700M+ DBO, $1.34B+ WW

contestgamer said:
Insidb said:

How sad must it be that they're part of one of the most discriminated against demographics of all time, and one of the only things that keeps them from being successful is their skin color?

MAYBE, if not for rampant and ignorant racism, such movies wouldn't be so rare and the audience starved for them.

So you want more racist movies? 

A) It wasn't a racist movie.

B) The cast was NOT all-black.

C) List all the superhero movies of the past 10 years that didn't feature all-white leads.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
Insidb said:

US Population: 13% Black

BP Audience: 37% Black

http://fortune.com/2018/02/21/black-panther-record-box-office-diverse-audience/

Proves my point. Many Whites watched of guilt minorities out of empowerment 

How dense are you?

That proved the EXACT opposite: that THREE TIMES THE BLACK AMERICAN POPULATION PERCENTAGE SAW THE MOVIE.

donathos said:
Just saw Black Panther and not that anyone will care, but for the record, the cast is not all-black.

What about the writers, director and producers? Were they representative of the US population demographics or did they skew obscenely heavily black? By accident and chance of course, not intentionally at all.

Insidb said:
contestgamer said:

Proves my point. Many Whites watched of guilt minorities out of empowerment 

How dense are you?

That proved the EXACT opposite: that THREE TIMES THE BLACK AMERICAN POPULATION PERCENTAGE SAW THE MOVIE.

That leaves another 70% made up of white guilt and other minorities. The 30% proves that blacks were especially partial to a strongly racially charged movie, but that leaves another nearly billion dollars in sales from non blacks.

Insidb said:
contestgamer said:

So you want more racist movies? 

C) List all the superhero movies of the past 10 years that didn't feature all-white leads.

C) It would make sense for them to be INCIDENTALLY white given that the country is mass majority white. It doesn't make the same incidental sense to have a movie that's almost all black unless it was intentional. And it is being celebrated for it. 

Let's try a D) List all the movies that were specifically celebrated FOR being all white?

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
Insidb said:

How dense are you?

That leaves another 70% made up of white guilt and other minorities. The 30% proves that blacks were especially partial to a strongly racially charged movie, but that leaves another nearly billion dollars in sales from non blacks.

How are you not getting this!?

87% of the population is NOT BLACK, which means that 63% of the NOT BLACK BP audience was an UNDERREPRESENTATION of other races!

contestgamer said:
Insidb said:

C) It would make sense for them to be INCIDENTALLY white given that the country is mass majority white. It doesn't make the same incidental sense to have a movie that's almost all black unless it was intentional. And it is being celebrated for it. 

Let's try a D) List all the movies that were specifically celebrated FOR being all white?

E) This movie was set in Africa and the same or higher inverse repressentation.

F) Why are you celebrating the standard!?

G) Are you trolling or ignorant?

Insidb said:
TranceformerFX said:

Of course I'm mad the movie is successful, and black people should be too. How sad it must be that you're part of one of the most successful movies of all time, and the only thing that made it successful was their skin color.

Not the quality of the movie, not their acting ability, not the story/plot, not the take away, not the cinematography...

No, the reason your movie is famous is because you and the entire cast of the movie is black. I'd be ashamed. 

And FYI - Menace 2 Society isn't an indie movie.

How sad must it be that they're part of one of the most discriminated against demographics of all time, and one of the only things that keeps them from being successful is their skin color?

MAYBE, if not for rampant and ignorant racism, such movies wouldn't be so rare and the audience starved for them.

Okay, I'm gonna ignore the "they're part of one of the most descriminated against" part because I REALLY don't wanna derail this thread. (Spoiler: black people aren't discriminated NEARLY as much as Asians)

BUT ANYWAY

If audiences "starved" for an all black cast movie - then how come Moonlight wasn't a box office phenomenon? I'm just going by your logic bro. 

Insidb said:
contestgamer said:

How are you not getting this!?

87% of the population is NOT BLACK, which means that 63% of the NOT BLACK BP audience was an UNDERREPRESENTATION of other races!

contestgamer said:

E) This movie was set in Africa and the same or higher inverse repressentation.

F) Why are you celebrating the standard!?

G) Are you trolling or ignorant?

E) that should not affect the writers, producers or directors. They werent African, they were African-American - pretty big difference no? Any other race could have worked those positions. And again, higher representation isnt the issue. The issue is that representation was obscenely high with the primary purpose of being a cultural statement.

F) Currently only the "non standard" as you put it can be celebrated. White straight males cannot celebrate those aspect of their identities. Personally I dont care because I'm not even part of a majority group, and I reject identity politics. My problem is one of principle. Either all groups and lasses can celebrate their identities or none should. Clearly you cannot celebrate being a certain class, gender, orientation or race without being a racist, homophone or sexist so equality does not exist.

Also regarding your point about 63% being underrepresented - that's not how it works. What the left has set up is a white vs minority paradigm where a win for any minority group is a win for all minority groups. 

TranceformerFX said:
Insidb said:

Okay, I'm gonna ignore the "they're part of one of the most descriminated against" part because I REALLY don't wanna derail this thread. (Spoiler: black people aren't discriminated NEARLY as much as Asians)

BUT ANYWAY

If audiences "starved" for an all black cast movie - then how come Moonlight wasn't a box office phenomenon? I'm just going by your logic bro. 

Not replying to you, but just expanding that I had no issue with Moonlight despite it being primarily black cast. Because that was not the primary marketing vehicle or value of the movie. It wasn't riding a race wave to success, it was a legitimately good movie that happened to focus on a black narrative. No problem there.

Bristow9091 said:
contestgamer said:

What do you mean by white guilt? I'm white and I saw the film, but not because I felt guilty of anything, I have absolutely no reason to be, I'm just a big Marvel and superhero fan, and the film looked great... and it WAS great, lol.

Where have you been? White Guilt is very much a thing now, there were tweets from white people who VOLUNTARILY did not go to the opening weekend of Black Panther because these people thought the movie was legit a black/negro event and that by simply being there would demean the other black attendees - I'm not shitting you, look it up.