By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Evidence that smash bros switch might be a new game.

The fact that there's is so much uncertainty and discussion about this game being brand new or a port while we entered a NEW GENERATION is utterly ridiculous in itself.

Around the Network
friendlyfamine said:
pikashoe said:

The whole point of this thread is to point out that this game has had enough time to be a completely new game. Brawl and Wiiu/3ds only had between 2 and 2.5 years of development. With the lack of a 3ds game this time, the devolpment should be shorter than last time.

If development started in 2016 and this game releases for the holidays this year then they should have had at least 2 years to make this game. That is in line with the development time for brawl and wiiu/3ds.

That's not evidence though. That's conjecture. There's no proof that Sakurai started developing the next Smash in 2016. He said he was silently working on it day by day, but he never said when he started to.

Since melee every smash game has been in development for about a year before a console has released. Melee took around a year to make and came out a couple of months after the GameCube launched. Brawl started development in October 2005, Wii released November 2006. Smash wiiu started development at some point after March 2012, the Wii u released in November 2014. 

Going by this, smash switch likely started development at some point in 2016. I know it's conjecture but every thing is pointing to this being a new game. 

Good point. Im on the side thinking its just a port but again good point.

Harkins1721 said:
Good point. Im on the side thinking its just a port but again good point.

Thank you. I wonder if they purposely made it vague so that people would talk about it more. The mystery seems to have created so much more buzz for this game. I'm probably thinking to much into it.

Around the Network

Its new

No mention a Namco Bandai.

Nor does it say 2041-1018, wich it would if it was a port.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
Its new

No mention a Namco Bandai.

Nor does it say 2041-1018, wich it would if it was a port.

Hehe that date is funny.

And I agree with being new. I even expect to be similar to Melee. Samurai will please fans.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Nintendo said it was a new game in the press release. It's already confirmed.

Sakurai said very little of this game has been revealed. So how would he say that if it was a port lol.

Also, i feel like they will try something new with this game. Its the fifth episode after all and they have time to make new stuff since they can basically just take assets from the Wii u game. Or even some stages and characters will stay the same.

My guess is that it'll be as much of a "new game" as Splatoon 2.

So essentially all in the branding. A new logo does not a new game make. I hope it's just a Smash 4.5. Just keep all of the new 3rd party characters. No need to rebalance everything only to drop all of the interesting new characters. Throw in some new modes, new characters, new stages, and maybe a Story Mode. I really don't need the game to play any different and hope they don't touch that. Change a character or two, sure, but keep the core mechanics untouched.