By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rate Nintendo Direct - 03/08/18!

Out of 10

10 47 23.27%

9 49 24.26%

8 36 17.82%

7 28 13.86%

6 18 8.91%

5 6 2.97%

4 5 2.48%

3 5 2.48%

2 3 1.49%

1 5 2.48%

Total:202

So, I was watching a BrainScratchComms impressions video on the Direct and they were talking about how Pearl and Marina looked like Biggie Smalls and Tupac in the Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion footage and I was like, "Wait, WHAT?!?"

I went back and rewatched it, and HOLY SHIT THEY TOTALLY DO!!! XD

The 1:58 mark! That is just... so freaking awesome!!!

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 09 March 2018

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Disappointing sales = significantly below forecast.  Whatever official forecast they give, it will be several million below it.

Mario/Zelda/Splatoon are still helping them now, but they won't move hardware forever.

So all that matters is whatever Nintendo forecast, not how much they actually sell. If they move 17m units for the year, that's a good number if they forecast 16 or 18m, but if they forcast 20m, that same 17m number then becomes disappointing. That's pretty silly.

Also of course not forever, but they'll still be moving hardware throughout 2018.

Also as time goes on a console becomes less reliant on individual system sellers and having a wide variety of software becomes more important.

We are seeing Switch receive a steady flow of titles from all sorts of developers from a variety of genres and thats what is important for the success of any platform.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pretty decent. Luigi's Mansion remake on 3DS was surprising. Also, quite some third party support, which is good. There's actually a fair number of games on Switch I'm interested in now.

zorg1000 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Disappointing sales = significantly below forecast.  Whatever official forecast they give, it will be several million below it.

Mario/Zelda/Splatoon are still helping them now, but they won't move hardware forever.

Such an odd stance to take.

They passed their launch forcast by 38%

They had to increase this year's forcast by 50%

Now they will all of a sudden sell millions less than expected next fiscal year based on what exactly?

Based on first party lineup.  2017 had several great first party games.  2018 has Smash Bros and everything else is minor by comparison.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

So all that matters is whatever Nintendo forecast, not how much they actually sell. If they move 17m units for the year, that's a good number if they forecast 16 or 18m, but if they forcast 20m, that same 17m number then becomes disappointing. That's pretty silly.

Also of course not forever, but they'll still be moving hardware throughout 2018.

Disappointing is the best word I can use.  Sales will not skyrocket, nor will they fall down to Wii U or XBox 1 levels.  They will be disappointing.  If 20m is the forecast, then it will be several million short of that.  They might increase the forecast above 20m, but the sales will still be disappointing.

Kairos said:
Remember last Playstation E3 conference where everyone was dissapointed because they showed the same games they showed on previous events ... well, that's how I felt about this direct with the difference Sony was showing new games not ports.

I'll give points to Nintedo becaused they had a very good pace, but, as someone who isn't interested on smash, tennis or splatoon there was nothing new appeling to me.

I was expecting something about Bayo 3

This was a 6 out of 10 for me

E3 and Direct are not same thing and Sony were showing same games for couple of years on E3, while most of games from Direct were announced couple months ago, so totally different things.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Flilix said:

They barely showed us anything for August and beyond yet. The second half of the year is when most of the big games get released, So far, I think 2018 looks just as good as 2017, which was Nintendo's biggest year in a long time.

Let me be clear that I mean that Switch hardware sales will be disappointing this year.  Kimishima will fall short of his hardware sales goals.  In 2017, Nintendo released 4 games that are selling extremely well: Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Splatoon 2.  This year the only game we know of that is off similar caliber is Smash Bros.  The first party library of 2018 pales in comparison to 2017.  Unless they have another big game ready, then hardware sales are going to be disappointing.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:

Now they will all of a sudden sell millions less than expected next fiscal year based on what exactly?

Based on first party lineup.  2017 had several great first party games.  2018 has Smash Bros and everything else is minor by comparison.

You offcourse do realise that Switch is still selling good from start of year without almost any bigger release, and that sales with games from Direct that are coming in next few months (April, May, June and July have much better lineup than January, February and March) sales can be only better. Also you do realise that last year Switch had huge stock problems and that sales would be higher than they were and that this year stock situation is much better. Also we still barely know anything about second half of year for Switch except Smash Bros, almost all games from Direct are coming in next few months.

Around the Network

I get the feeling that this is the general consensus:

Smash bros 5 announced for switch and its coming this year=lame direct 2/10 and disappointing switch sales

This can be also seen from the poll, just look at it ;D

Last edited by PSintend0 - on 09 March 2018

The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:

Lonely_Dolphin said:

Disappointing is the best word I can use.  Sales will not skyrocket, nor will they fall down to Wii U or XBox 1 levels.  They will be disappointing.  If 20m is the forecast, then it will be several million short of that.  They might increase the forecast above 20m, but the sales will still be disappointing.

Well that's just it, don't use words, give a number. Exactly how high does Switch need to sell to not be considered dissapointing? I would hope you're not still gonna say it depends on the forecast after I just showed how silly that is.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Flilix said:

I still think Pokémon is likely to be released this year. The Pokémon guy at E3 said: "It may still take more than a year until it gets released", which sounds like they're trying to make it a holiday 2018 game. It would also fit very well in the schedule, since they would probably want to release Smash together with the online service in September. If either Fire Emblem or Yoshi releases in August, and the other one in October, they would still need a big game for November. Pokémon would be perfect for that. Captain Toad and 3rd parties are just minor games to fill in the gaps, so these shouldn't be a problem. And Metroid Prime 4 will probably be released in 2019.

Of course, things may very well turn out completely differently, but I don't think this schedule is unlikely at all.

I am very skeptical of a Pokemon 2018 release.  Going from the 3DS to the Switch is such a huge technological leap, that there are going to be delays.  If we are just talking graphics, then 3DS outputs in 240p while Switch is 720p in handheld and 900p or 1080p docked (depending on the game).  That is a big jump for Game Freak to make.  They are going to delay the game to get it right instead of rush it with significant flaws/bugs.  

Anyway, if Pokemon does come out this year, then I will have to take back everything I've said, but I just don't think it's going to make a 2018 release.

You know gamefreak have done work on HD consoles already, not a pokemon game but they've got a 1080p game long before the Switch launched.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tembo_the_Badass_Elephant

Great title as well but Switch pokemon isn't going to be their first run at 1080p gaming.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:

Like i said a couple posts back, as time goes on individual system sellers become less important and a wide variety and constant flow of software becomes more important.

This year has Dragon Quest Builders, Bayonetta, Payday 2, Kirby, Hyrule Warriors, Labo, Donkey Kong, Mario Tennis, Octopath Traveler, Captain Toad, Okami, Crash Bandicoot, Dark Souls, South Park, Attack on Titan, Outlast 1&2, Mega Man Collection, Street Fighter Collection, One Piece Warriors 3, Naruto Collection, Harvest Moon, Little Nightmares, Sushi Striker, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, No More Heroes, Pillars of Eternity, Wolfenstein, Smash Bros on top of whatever else gets announced for this year and a ton of indies and all the evergreen titles of 2017.

There is no reason whatsoever to assume sales will be underwhelming this year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Wyrdness said:
Sunstrider said:

Okay now I'm confused XD. @ bold, so, the wii u one is not a port?

It was in development alongside the other versions at the same time its development just got put on hold to favour other versions.

Ah yes of course, I completely forgot about that.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid