By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Nintendo Gold Points Switch

zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Game and Watch Ball brand new in a box is selling for $70.00 right now on Ebay so, even if you didn't like it, you could sell it for a lot more than that 5% discount.

BRAND NEW AND IN BOX

So i would have had to keep it for ~5 years unused in order to make it worthwhile.

Also i already admitted there were a few cool rewards but most of it was random shit i would never want.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Club_Nintendo_items_(America)

Looking through the list of rewards, its complete trash.

Mario Hat-600 coins

Mario Pin-450 coins

Pen Case-400 coins

Mario Terrycloth-350 coins

Japanese folding fan-300 coins

Greeting card set-300 coins

Shoelaces-300 coins

Folder set w/bookmarks-250 coins

I mean sure if you desperate for some free folders, shoelaces or a terrycloth than i guess thats better than a couple bucks back on each purchase.

Pretty sure I could get more than a couple bucks for most of that junk though. That's my point. The value isn't there compared to the physical rewards. Of course, anyone who's been following the game industry long enough will tell you, dominance comes at a price. 

Around the Network

I've got over 30 digital games on my Switch. I'd say about 25 of them are full priced retail games. I can't check right now but hopefully I can redeem for something great!

Twitter: @d21lewis

d21lewis said:
I've got over 30 digital games on my Switch. I'd say about 25 of them are full priced retail games. I can't check right now but hopefully I can redeem for something great!

the thing is that they worth NOW 5%, but they didnt if you bougth them a month ago...

3 weeks ago, i bought Pac-Man championship edition 2, which was 24.99. with the new program, it worth 125 gold point, but in the old system, it worth only  20 points...

Marach said:
d21lewis said:

the thing is that they worth NOW 5%, but they didnt if you bougth them a month ago...

3 weeks ago, i bought Pac-Man championship edition 2, which was 24.99. with the new program, it worth 125 gold point, but in the old system, it worth only  20 points...

Can't check on the site for some reason. No idea what I actually have but I'll definitely put it to use in the future.

I tend to buy everything physical because in my countrie's eshop the games are so overpriced, this really sucks.

I know... my English sucks.

Around the Network

Currently, I have 1142 Gold coins and 280 silver. Not exactly sure how to redeem them. I'm at work and I'm using my phone to view the site. I'll probably figure it out tonight when I get home.

*Edit* figured it out. Basically, I have $11.42 to spend on whatever. I just went to the eShop and clicked on my profile. Now I need to find a good game that I want and don't already have. I great great things about Rocket League though I'm not sure if it's my type of game.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 06 March 2018

Super_Boom said:
So maybe I'm just dumb and can't figure it out, but do digital purchases count retroactively towards points, or is it basically anything from this point forward?

Also how do I get points for physical games? The My Nintendo site isn't really clear...though again maybe I'm just missing something.

For physical games, you need to insert the game card you want to register and select a Switch user who has a My Nintendo account. Move the cursor over the boxart of the physical game you want to register and press the + button or whatever it is that brings up an option menu. Among the few options that are displayed, one of them is about registering games.

Physical games can be registered until two years after their release date. (*EDIT: That only goes for Europe and South Africa. All other countries have only one year.*) That's why I haven't registered any of mine yet. I wasn't in need of gold coins because the previous setup for gold coins rarely offered anything that was worth redeeming gold coins for, and gold coins expire one year after they have been earned. Thanks to my decision to hold off, I can now receive 60 gold coins for each of my physical games whereas before 18 gold coins were the most you could get from a physical Switch game.

As for digital games, if you had your Switch user account linked with your My Nintendo account, then any eShop purchase you made was automatically rewarded with gold coins. It's not that anything counts retroactively, but rather that you still have the gold coins from before this new system has been put in place. The sad thing is that the previous gold coin setup handed out a lot less gold coins and there's no retroactive adjustment to the new value of gold coins, so anyone who has gold coins from before is looking at a trade-in value that amounts to barely anything now. Hence the frustration from various people in this thread.

Going forward though, everything has fixed rates. 1 gold coin is worth 1 cent. Physical games give you 1% of the RRP on the eShop at the time you registered the game card, so a $60 game results in 60 gold coins (60 cents); this means that you can theoretically grab physical games from the bargain bin of retailers and get an amount of gold coins that far exceeds 1% of the money you spent, because the game's eShop price constitutes the basis that the 1% are calculated from, not what you actually spent at a brick and mortar store. Digital games give you 5% of the amount you spent, so there are no exploits here. You can assign gold coins to virtually every purchase you make on the eShop, be it full games, DLC or already discounted games. The days of waiting for Nintendo to offer desireable rewards are over, from now on you can choose what you want.

Last edited by RolStoppable - on 06 March 2018

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

d21lewis said:
Currently, I have 1142 Gold coins and 280 silver. Not exactly sure how to redeem them. I'm at work and I'm using my phone to view the site. I'll probably figure it out tonight when I get home.

There is an easily visible option to redeem gold coins when you make a purchase on the Switch eShop. You have $11.42 that you can freely assign to purchases you make. Whether you use that cashback all at once or only use 23 gold coins for a 23 cent discount is up to you.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

I think it's pretty stingy, really. I order from a UK retailer called 365games, and generally they do 5-10% cashback on retail purchases (which are always priced below the digital equivalent). Unless it's DLC or digital only, I'm unlikely to ever get the 5% cashback rate from Nintendo, so my points will pile up very slowly. I guess I can see it as a bonus on top of the cashback I get through 365. 

It's something, and it's been easy to link My Nintendo to my Switch and register my games for points, so those are plus points - but it's not a huge step forward and it shouldn't take Nintendo a year to roll out a basic reward system like this. I love my Switch, but eShop and the UI needs an overhaul - and they need to get Switch Online right, too.

Asriel said:

I think it's pretty stingy, really. I order from a UK retailer called 365games, and generally they do 5-10% cashback on retail purchases (which are always priced below the digital equivalent). Unless it's DLC or digital only, I'm unlikely to ever get the 5% cashback rate from Nintendo, so my points will pile up very slowly. I guess I can see it as a bonus on top of the cashback I get through 365. 

It's something, and it's been easy to link My Nintendo to my Switch and register my games for points, so those are plus points - but it's not a huge step forward and it shouldn't take Nintendo a year to roll out a basic reward system like this. I love my Switch, but eShop and the UI needs an overhaul - and they need to get Switch Online right, too.

I guess it's better than nothing. When the gen began, I had every intention of going full digital (Breath of the Wild being the only exception--just to fill in the empty  cartridge slot). I even had a 256GB SD card waiting when I got my console.

On one hand, I could look a gift horse in the mouth but, on the other hand, I don't know what Sony and Microsoft are doing. Every now and then, Sony will offer $15 for every $100 spent and I get money back from Microsoft for... reasons (I never know why. I just check my balance and sometimes there's money there).

Nintendo ain't doing too bad.