By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Do you think Black Panther is better than Thor 3?

I liked Black Panther, but Thor Ragnarok was freaking awesome. Funniest movie I’ve seen in the past year. Just a fun movie.

Around the Network

I think they're very different movies, just in the same universe. Thor 3 made me laugh a lot more, while Black Panther had a more interesting conflict. I don't want push either down to prop up the other...both did a great job at what they set out to do.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

They're both equally terrible. I know that because that's why I didn't watch them.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I Loved the comedy What We Do in the Shadows and I could defiantly see some of that humor style come through in Thor (I pretty sure the joke "Yeah, not very useful unless you’re up against three vampires all huddled up, eh?” was a reference to that movie).

Thor was a more fun movie and I would be more likely to watch a second time then Black Panther( I not someone that typically re-watches movies very often).

Black Panther was a more serious movie and overall I found to be better story telling. I would say Black Panther is probably the better movie but there nothing in the movie that make it worth watching a second time. While Thor visually/comedically make it something that I might watch a second time.

I haven’t seen Thor 3 and I walked out of BP rather early on after a major continuity error. A news report called Wakanda (or w/e the African country was called) the ‘poorest country in the world’ and a few minutes later the camera pans over a rather large bustling city complete with beautiful skyscrapers that rivaled Manhattan. Wait, what? Have they ever seen what poor countries look like?

Around the Network

No.

Hmm, pie.

Yes, but I also think Thor 3 is an abomination that pisses all over the character and all of his fans (like me). So that's not a very tall order.

Thor 3 is basically a full blown comedy. It's takes the leap from "some comic relief" to just full blown comedy and jokes every 15 seconds.

Black Panther wins this fairly easily.

They actually kinda have a similar plot ... both deal with a main hero who has the burden of taking over as king after the death of their father. And even the villains are kind of similar. But Black Panther basically handles that set up 10x better and doesn't undercut itself by not taking things seriously. It's fun and has humor but doesn't totally kill the tension.

Thor: Ragnarok was a fun movie. Black Panther was a great movie. Not to say Thor was bad, but Black Panther was really good.

Seventizz said:

I haven’t seen Thor 3 and I walked out of BP rather early on after a major continuity error. A news report called Wakanda (or w/e the African country was called) the ‘poorest country in the world’ and a few minutes later the camera pans over a rather large bustling city complete with beautiful skyscrapers that rivaled Manhattan. Wait, what? Have they ever seen what poor countries look like?

You understood they rest of the world doesn't see those skyscrapers, right?  They fly though a cloaking bubble that hides the entire city near the beginning.  All the rest of the world sees are farmers and shepherds.  Wakanda keeps all information about itself within its walls and never interferes for good or ill in foreign affairs. That is the key point of the world building and the conflict between the protagonist and antagonist.

See the shimmer? That is a cloaking mechanism that gives the impression of a forest where the city is to outside observers.