By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft are finally showing the Power of the Cloud

Just ran across this interesting article detailing how Sea Of Thieves uses the Cloud.  

Sea of Thieves releases on 20 March 2018 and the whole game is only possible thanks to the fabled Cloud.

Just about everyone remarks on the graphics and physics of the titular Sea, but very few people even question where the physics calculations are run. Hint: The waves are shared with other players, and your Xbox isn’t responsible for any of them.  

The Cloud is responsible for more than just making waves too. Rare have spoken about how they’ve deliberately designed the game so that players encounter fellow industrious, galivanting pirate-types approximately every 20 minutes. Most people that have played the game will be able to appreciate just how fundamental these player encounters are to the whole experience, but nobody has spoken about how Rare can realistically control and achieve this in an ocean of wild, unpredictable player behaviour. So if the waters aren’t clear enough; players and ships are seamlessly connected in a way made possible by the cloud.

Your pirate in Sea of Thieves ages. When I logged on this week, my pirate was still entirely recognisable…. but he’d changed significantly. Significantly, to the tune of about 40 years. He still has the same hook and peg, the same scars, the same rolls of back fat, the same mischievous expression. The hair is gone though, he’s picked up some wrinkles, and he generally looks spent. The fact that the game has an ageing mechanic is something of a justification for the controversial Infinite Pirate Generator, but that isn’t what this article is about. This article is about the cloud, and one harsh truth about the life story of my fat pirate speaks to that. He is no Pirate Legend; the tapestry of his life is dominated by a vast emptiness. He’s not lazy (not in the backstory I’ve given him anyway), he achieved nothing for a very valid reason: The game wasn’t actually available between beta sessions. He’s aged those 40 years without me even logging on; growing old thanks to the power of the cloud. I don’t know what else happens while I’m away, so I’ll assume he mostly ate cheese. One thing Microsoft promised from the off was that the cloud would deliver persistent world gaming. Ageing is a big hint that Sea of Thieves delivers exactly that, and makes me wonder how I can leave my mark.  

The last point is a bit less glamourous. A note from Rare about the nature of the scale tests, wherein they warn that as part of those tests, they will be deliberately taking some servers offline. Not to implement fixes, or just as a standard beta disclaimer; They’re shutting off servers to prove that the service is resilient enough to pick up the slack and deliver the quality of experience players expect. I hear arguments that “dedicated servers aren’t new!”, but this level of uptime and quality of experience takes more than dedicated servers. It takes the power of that cloud we’ve all derided.

http://www.gameondaily.com/avast-ye-microsoft-finally-showing-power-cloud/

Around the Network

If this is the "power of the cloud" im not impressed, sure microsoft uses the cloud, which gaming company doesn't but the original pitch for the xbox one back in 2013/2014 and the first reveal of crackdown was that the cloud would make games tons better and make games that could only run on xbox.

Those things have never happened and most likely will never happen, crackdown 3 has also been MIA when it comes to the multiplayer portion, im a big xbox fan but power of the cloud, what a joke.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

malistix1985 said:
If this is the "power of the cloud" im not impressed, sure microsoft uses the cloud, which gaming company doesn't but the original pitch for the xbox one back in 2013/2014 and the first reveal of crackdown was that the cloud would make games tons better and make games that could only run on xbox.

Those things have never happened and most likely will never happen, crackdown 3 has also been MIA when it comes to the multiplayer portion, im a big xbox fan but power of the cloud, what a joke.

Have you played Sea of Thieves?  The waves are one of the most graphically impressive things i've ever seen in gaming.

Only children and kids who have no idea about the cloud downplayed it. It exists and it works its just not implemented into our games yet aside from small things like Drivavatars. I am curious about this tech and hoping to see more.
Btw i just recently played the Beta and Sea Of Thieves has the best water effects i have ever seen in a video game. Well done to Rare for still impressing even after all these years.

User moderated - Bristow9091

Last edited by Bristow9091 - on 04 March 2018

Rayban99 said:
malistix1985 said:

Have you played Sea of Thieves?  The waves are one of the most graphically impressive things i've ever seen in gaming.

I know the water looks impressive, and Sea of thieves is a fine looking game, but impressive water and a fine looking game wasn't the original microsoft pitch :P

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network

Nothing really ground breaking but still very cool. It not a joke, that's for sure.

Hypothetical jumbo jumbo article with no base in reality. Just someone fantasising with no proof any sort.

Azzanation said:
Only children and kids who have no idea about the cloud downplayed it. It exists and it works its just not implemented into our games yet aside from small things like Drivavatars. I am curious about this tech and hoping to see more.
Btw i just recently played the Beta and Sea Of Thieves has the best water effects i have ever seen in a video game. Well done to Rare for still impressing even after all these years.

Only gullible fanboys believe this tech can do complex physics calculations in real-time. Sea of Thieves water has nothing to do with the cloud, which you’ll be easily able to demonstrate if you just limit your bandwidth and nothing will change with the water.

They aren’t even able to transmit player positions lag free...it’s naive to believe complex destruction like in that fake Crackdown demo, or the water in SoT will be able to calculate that way.

Also...what does an aging character have to do with the cloud? The author had smoked some good stuff for sure.

Wow. Waves. Super powerful

Vasto said:

The game wasn’t actually available between beta sessions. He’s aged those 40 years without me even logging on; growing old thanks to the power of the cloud.

This is a joke post, right?

I mean, this has nothing to do with the cloud, most likely they are simply logging the time between game restarts and adapt to it with "ageing"....