By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why is the United States so segregated?

VAMatt said:
PSintend0 said:

"And if any US citizen is living in "Horrible" conditions, it IS NOT BECAUSE OF THEIR SKIN COLOR! "

But it is, kind of. Look at history. Not for everyone, but for many.

There absolutely, definitely is a historical racism issue that still effects black Americans (and, to a less extent, other minorities) today.  No question about it.  Just like there are still rich Rockefellers riding off of the money their family made 6-8 generations ago, so to are there poor people stuck in the lack of education/poverty spiral.   

With that said, that fact, in and of itself, says nothing about racism in the USA today.  

Strong division between poor and rich is linked to racism. Poor neighbourhoods having darker people and rich neighbourhoods being more whitish doesn´t help to eradicate racism, it makes it more difficult. In the past some thought that darker skin made you less of a human and that justified slavery. The present is build on the past.

Around the Network
PSintend0 said:

Strong division between poor and rich is linked to racism. Poor neighbourhoods having darker people and rich neighbourhoods being more whitish doesn´t help to eradicate racism, it makes it more difficult. In the past some thought that darker skin made you less of a human and that justified slavery. The present is build on the past.

This isn't at all surprising given that the FHA played a large role in deciding which neighborhoods would become rich vs. poor, and they did explicitly using racial bias. Legally through 1968. Under the table for many years after that.

Sadly, I think too few people know this reality. I don't think that a vast majority of Americans hold bigoted feelings in their hearts. But I see a lot people making some form of the "slavery ended 150 years ago so people don't face racism today" argument. It's ignorance more than it is flat out hatred. We have an uphill battle, too. States aren't funding education at the rate the used to. Our education secretary wants to expedite that process. And the Internet doesn't help either. People can find endless amounts of written word that conforms to and reinforces their biases.

Simply because it's taught.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DonFerrari said:

The Edit certainly help people that failed to interpret his points on the whole OP as it was much more as dividing in races than prejudice and harm towards black people. So the posting before edit mitigate but doesn't really cover all of it.

And the division in races on medical or scientific studies is something (and since there is positive evidence of difference in the DNA and physiology then it is valid to keep verifying these differences) but he is talking much more about the need of affirmation and segregation that not only white people do, but most ethinicities in USA.

As we currently understand it racial and ethnographic differences are no more scientifically significant than socioeconomic differences. So like the idea of Rich and Poor, race and ethnicity are social constructs albeit with apparent differences. These constructs are useful for categorization but with regard to what the OP is claiming, this need for racial affirmation, I'm arguing that this is a result of the differences grouped together to form racial classes misused as justification for amoral behavior.

Once again my favorite parallel to this are Caste System's. The idea of a Caste is even more tenuous than that of typical class-ism and yet a large part of Indian society and culture was built around it till recently. Many more rural parts of India have that exact same affirmation and segregation but based on Caste rather than Race.

I don't disagree with you. But do you see that even without the Edit it was quite clear he was talking more about reinforcing racial differences and division than racism right?

But all in all, yes comparing with most countries (many of which doesn't even have much or any different races together, and others that hunt ethinicities that seem very similar to them own even in physical traits) USA doesn't really have a racial issue, it is much more people like 3rd wave feminism that already solved the institutionalized issues and law differences but now build flames on small things.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PSintend0 said:
VAMatt said:

There absolutely, definitely is a historical racism issue that still effects black Americans (and, to a less extent, other minorities) today.  No question about it.  Just like there are still rich Rockefellers riding off of the money their family made 6-8 generations ago, so to are there poor people stuck in the lack of education/poverty spiral.   

With that said, that fact, in and of itself, says nothing about racism in the USA today.  

Yeah, that's what I just said.

Around the Network

Out of curiosity, do European countries view the U.S. poorly?

I've heard that many countries around the world don't like us, but I'm not big into politics myself. I would think one of the reasons is the "ignorance" we have towards other countries. By that I mean that we don't really know a lot about other countries as much as they know about us.

I couldn't tell you who the leader of Brazil is, but most people around the world seem to know who Trump is. Also, is America the only place in the world that makes movies? I know India has "Bollywood" or something like that, but I don't think they have any films that make it over here.

RaptorChrist said:

I've heard that many countries around the world don't like us, but I'm not big into politics myself. I would think one of the reasons is the "ignorance" we have towards other countries. By that I mean that we don't really know a lot about other countries as much as they know about us.

I couldn't tell you who the leader of Brazil is, but most people around the world seem to know who Trump is. Also, is America the only place in the world that makes movies? I know India has "Bollywood" or something like that, but I don't think they have any films that make it over here.

The influence of the US cinema industry is certainly massive and it shouldn't necessarily be so, just as I think westernism and the spread of western culture, clothing, values etc. should be, well, not exactly imperialism, but not something other countries should take for granted or necessary either.

I know, though, that China is making really massive, really high budget films in the last years - films that gross as much over there, or even more, than American movies gross on the US. How far those will spread in the future, like Japanese and now Korean culture has spread, as those countries became more developed, is anyone's guess.

OT - also somewhat relevant as historical roots of the issue, even though OP compares it to Portuguese rather than Spanish colonization:

(Please do not take the image (very) seriously.)

A friendly reminder to everyone, anyways, that part or most of what you hear about stuff like the Spanish inquisition, colonization etc. are basically "fake news" dating back to the days the British Empire and the Spanish Empire were fierce rivals and the former was trying to find a way to demonize the later. It's called the "Spanish Black Legend", look it up.

Keep spewing more garbage. All you said was there are black neighborhoods, blacks have their own culture and blacks have their own words. How is this racist? People self-segregate for the most part in all areas of the world, but this is helped by wealth. So all I can pull from what you said was that the US is wealthier than Brazil, which is obvious.

The media has blown racism way out of proportion for the US, showing a very vocal minority on both sides for ratings. There is no systemic racism and laws prevent it from ever happening. 

360 Tag - narfwack

RaptorChrist said:

A lot of the hatred against USA is really envy and jealousness.

narfwack said:

Keep spewing more garbage. All you said was there are black neighborhoods, blacks have their own culture and blacks have their own words. How is this racist? People self-segregate for the most part in all areas of the world, but this is helped by wealth. So all I can pull from what you said was that the US is wealthier than Brazil, which is obvious.

The media has blown racism way out of proportion for the US, showing a very vocal minority on both sides for ratings. There is no systemic racism and laws prevent it from ever happening. 

Nope man, the point he was doing with Brazil is that we don't have ethnic neighborhoods, social or economical we do have... And sorry to tell you, but there are a lot of billionaires and millionaires in Brazil... we have in São Paulo one of the highest concentration of high end luxury stores.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SpokenTruth said:
narfwack said:

Unfortunately, you are speaking from a position that is not impacted by the problem and therefore you don't experience it and so to you, it doesn't exist.

Everyone experiences some sort of racism in their life time. Anyone can look at empirical data or objective facts that can be backed and can come up with an informed opinion. You can't dismiss others' opinions because they're not brown enough. That in and of itself is racist.

Anecdotal experiences or heresay can't be used as proof of something like systemic racism or large scale racism because it's not objective.