By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Mario FPS?

Could a Mario FPS work?

Yahoo! (Yes it could) 8 38.10%

D'oh, I missed! (No it could not) 13 61.90%

Total:21

We were going to have that, but it became Splatoon, and that's a good thing.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Sure, they could make it work, but I doubt they'd ever end up doing that.

I think a Mario game where you can't see Mario is bad for branding. Just a red sleeve and white glove holding a gun... yeah I can't say that would be smart. It's a neat idea, but not for Nintendo - they're market leaders, not followers.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

CaptainExplosion said:
Darwinianevolution said:
We were going to have that, but it became Splatoon, and that's a good thing.

I said first person, not third person.

Well, both are forms of shooters, so still counts. Anyway, I don't think we will get anything close to shooter Mario anytime close. Spinoffs like Mario Rabbids have cartoon guns, but they aren't shooters.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Well, we had Yoshi's Safari on SNES.

Around the Network

it simply isnt necessary. Splatoon and Metroid already cover Nintendo's presence in the shooter genre. and i think a better way to bring the Mario series to the FPS genre would be to make Luigi's Mansion 3 for the Switch and provide an optional first person mode. just a thought

I think "over-saturation of first person shooters" is an over-saturated statement, considering the variety within that designation.  People tend to lump everything "FPS" together even when those games are not in the same genre or have key differences.  

On topic, I think Nintendo wants the visual of Mario on the screen most of the time.  They are very zealous about protecting their primary brand since they lean so heavily on it.  

However, I could see some type of game where you "help" Mario as a different character in FPP, perhaps in a Slime Rancher type environment.

IkePoR said:
I think a Mario game where you can't see Mario is bad for branding. Just a red sleeve and white glove holding a gun... yeah I can't say that would be smart. It's a neat idea, but not for Nintendo - they're market leaders, not followers.

They're clearly both, even if the following part is at a slow and deliberate pace.  

Mario vs Splatoon

really dislike this idea.... hope not.

I think having a mascot based game where you can’t see the character somewhat defeats the purpose. Otherwise, there’s nothing about the Mario universe that screams improvement in first-person unlike say a James Bond or Metroid game.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.