By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Could a Mario FPS work?

Yahoo! (Yes it could) 8 38.10%

D'oh, I missed! (No it could not) 13 61.90%

Total:21

I think Splatoon kind of fills that niche.

That said, I'd love more objective-based first-person shooters with local multiplayer, like GoldenEye -- on any system, really.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
We were going to have that, but it became Splatoon, and that's a good thing.

I would love some DLC for Splatoon 2 that pits team inkling against team Mario. Team inkling obviously has to cover territory with ink and team Mario have to clean it up with F.L.U.D.D. 😀

Mario has been going for what? 30 years now, you know he'll be going for many more, of course at some point he'll show up in a FPS

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

funny video.

Switch!!!

CERO Z

Around the Network

A first person Mario Game? Ew. I mean the closest we've got to that is the Motion Controls mode in Mario Kart 7.

Nah if Mario was going to be in a shooter they'd just add him into Splatoon.

No, its better to use new IP, like Splatoon did for instance.

A single player FPS? I don't think it would have enough of a compelling campaign to be worthwhile or unique. I mean the Goldeneye mod seems decent/funny, but I don't think Nintendo wants Mario to have dialogue.

With Multiplayer FPS, there are several Mario characters so the selection is endless. However, the design of Mario characters seems too quirky to work in a competitive environment, so playing stealthily wouldn't seem like a viable option (and if there are two Peach players, what would that look like? Different colors?). So a tactical/slow FPS just wouldn't work. As for something along the lines of Overwatch as a team-based shooter, Mario characters aren't fleshed out enough to assign roles or distinctive weapon types.

First off, I'm not going to trust the poll results at all. There are quitre a few people on these forums who hate Mario and colorful platformers in general and who obviously love FPS games. I'm not overly concerned whether they would want something like this.

Secondly, no, I absolutely do not want to see an FPS Mario. Outside of what Ubisoft did with Mario, I just can't see there being enough compelling gameplay and still keeping it as a Mario title.

What I would like to see, and have wanted to see for a while, though, is a Metroidvania Mario. I'd like to see the Mushroom Kingdom be represented as one giant interconnected 2D world (pipes, beanstalks, magic carpets, breakable walls) where Mario must explore to gain different powerups and abilities. He could also meet other characters along the way (Luigi, Peach, Toad, etc) who would have their own abilities and movesets.

Of course, I'm sure there are many, many people who would be as bothered by turning Mario into Metroid as I would be of turning Mario into Goldeneye.

CaptainExplosion said:
friendlyfamine said:
A single player FPS? I don't think it would have enough of a compelling campaign to be worthwhile or unique. I mean the Goldeneye mod seems decent/funny, but I don't think Nintendo wants Mario to have dialogue.

With Multiplayer FPS, there are several Mario characters so the selection is endless. However, the design of Mario characters seems too quirky to work in a competitive environment, so playing stealthily wouldn't seem like a viable option (and if there are two Peach players, what would that look like? Different colors?). So a tactical/slow FPS just wouldn't work. As for something along the lines of Overwatch as a team-based shooter, Mario characters aren't fleshed out enough to assign roles or distinctive weapon types.

Couldn't they just have Mario utter random Italian gibberish like he usually does? It worked in the Mario & Luigi games.

In those games, you could actually see Mario and figure out how he was reacting. Also, there were other characters to aid him in the discussion(like Peach, Toadsworth, Luigi, or a random partner who joined their journey at the time like Starlow). His gibberish wouldn't be as effective here.

They could do it, but I would definitely find it rather cringe.