By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - After Playing Nintendo Switch I think Microsoft should Make 2 consoles in 2021-2022

I'm not sure if technology will be to that point by that time to make a convincing handheld with Xbox One X graphics abilities.  The main reason Switch was able to do it is because Nintendo came in at the right time with tablet technologies and compromises on the graphics due to the competition.  It was a very intricately designed device, very specific in how it was positioned.  I'm not saying it would be impossible for that increased price point, but one reason Nintendo was able to do it was in part due to the status and conditions of other markets. Eventually graphics capabilities will become a mute point and anything will be accessible, but I think that merger is still a ways off.  I'm sure they could create something to directly compete with Nintendo though in some way.

Around the Network

"Xbox One X portable"
Riiiiiiight.... you want a 6 Tflop portable that plays 4k?

zygote said:

I'm not sure if technology will be to that point by that time to make a convincing handheld with Xbox One X graphics abilities.  The main reason Switch was able to do it is because Nintendo came in at the right time with tablet technologies and compromises on the graphics due to the competition.  It was a very intricately designed device, very specific in how it was positioned.  I'm not saying it would be impossible for that increased price point, but one reason Nintendo was able to do it was in part due to the status and conditions of other markets. Eventually graphics capabilities will become a mute point and anything will be accessible, but I think that merger is still a ways off.  I'm sure they could create something to directly compete with Nintendo though in some way.

I am.

Nintendo Switch is like 397 Gflops though (docked) and ONLY ~150 Gflops when handheld mode.
a 6 Tflop handheld isnt happpending in the next 20years imo (if ever).

Asking Microsoft to make a handheld thats like x 40 times the power of the switch? thats not realistic.
OP is dreaming, and not thinking logically.

vivster said:
Or none. Never forget that's also an option.

Not to mention it's an option that is a lot more probable than a portable Xbox.

Darwinianevolution said:
What can Microsoft reallistically do to succceed in the handheld market? Regular console games are usually big 30-50 gb of game that require a lot of power to play smoothly. They have no foothold in the japanese market, where the absolutely biggest handheld games are made, and they already have problems to get enough exclusives for their console as it is. Sony has way more experience than them and they are pretty much giving up that side of the bussiness to concentrate on the home consoles.

Plus shooters & online multiplayer style games, and GaaS arnt what the handheld crowd wants.
MS would be in a very tough spot if they tried a handheld, and would need to focus their studios to differnt types of games then.

It just doesnt make any sense for them to try a handheld imo.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
zygote said:

I'm not saying it would be impossible for that increased price point

I am.

Nintendo Switch is like 397 Gflops though (docked) and ONLY ~150 Gflops when handheld mode.
a 6 Tflop handheld isnt happpending in the next 20years imo (if ever).

Asking Microsoft to make a handheld thats like x 40 times the power of the switch? thats not realistic.
OP is dreaming, and not thinking logically.

With the higher clocked "boost" mode, undocked the Switch is 192 GFlops.

So a x30 increase in power 4-5 years later... yeah not even close to possible even at double the price.

I don’t see MS ever releasing a dedicated portable.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

You're kidding yourself on this one for two reasons one you won't get a X1 level portable in 4 years due to battery life, heating and so on as well as the price that would make the PS3's and X1's launch prices look cheap, specs on portable devices work in a different manner. Secondly if Sony got blown out the portable market trying to support two platforms and Nintendo had to go hybrid to support both markets what makes you think MS can release 2 platforms when they have enough problems at the moment trying to keep one going?

Portable XBoxes are already available.

They're called laptops.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Xbox will most likely get a "handheld"...
In the form of your tablet/phone streaming games, and that's it.
Handhelds days are counted, streaming will be king whit the correct internet speed and tech. Perhaps 2022 is too soon, but 2025 and beyond, danm the internet will be on another level.