By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 storage issue

Tagged games:

BraLoD said:
Ganoncrotch said:

the ps4 method of updating is indeed strange but honestly at the point where you are annoyed you can't fit meat boy on there too while you have what.... 1tb of games just sat on the platters?

play those games rather than making threads about why you can't fit one last indie on the system that you wont play either?

edit - unless you have a major bandwidth cap issue, then I don't mean to sound too harsh, I understand some countries really limit downloads allowed each month.

Wtf was that for?

I make threads about whatever I want whenever I want. And who are you to say what I'll or will not play when you know nothing about it?

I beat and I platinum my games when I want and I let them installed if I ever want to come back for more, and that doesn't have shit to do with the fact my PS4 has nearly 19GB available and can't fit fucking 170MB when I try.

And yes, my internet connection is shit beyond shit and that still has nothing to do with this thread.

Either you stay on topic or you go be "too harsh" somewhere else.

You can make threads, people can post in them, that's the joys of VGchartz!

Regarding the ps4 though this sounds weird but that space isn't really "free" as much as it is listed as free space on the HDD, keep in mind the PS4 handles patches in a way that protects the games / OS by basically making a new copy of the data rather than altering the stuff which is already on the systems drive, so if you have a 20gb game and you want to apply a 2gb patch to it you'll need at the very least 22gb as it will write a new version of the game combining the original and the patched code together, that way if the system ever crashes as a patch is applied the system doesn't become a brick because the original data is all left untouched and you get a junk file on the HDD which needs to be cleared away.

PS4 also holds a fair deal of HDD space for use by the video encoding chip which will almost always have 30mins of 720p/1080p footage uncompressed buffered on the HDD in case you decide to record it then it will set that space aside.

When it comes to a PC HDD as well this isn't just a Ps4 thing, but also in Windows

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/343633-28-space-leave-hard-drive-conflicting-answers

According to Jean Andrews 8th Edition A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC and I quote "For best performance, Windows needs about 15 percent free space on the hard drive that is uses for defragmenting the drive, for burning CDs and DVDs, and for a variety of other tasks, so it's important to delete unneeded files occasionally!
I would always advise you do something like this, as in if you have your drive so close to full all the time, any time you go to install a new game the PS4 is going to have to just drop bits and pieces of the game all over the HDD in gaps it can find as you'll be limiting its ways to correctly reorganise files if there is no space left on there. This is just speculation but it is possible the unusable free space buffer is set to keep the performance of the PS4 as fast as possible.
Again though I did say sorry if it sounded harsh but I didn't have long to reply but basically if the system is telling you "don't install more shit mate!" I'd take the advice of it and consider making a little space on there if you can.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive