By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kimishima on the current stock situation with Switch

This is sum of current Switch stock situation:

"Finally, when asked if Nintendo has already solved Switch’s stock issues, Kimishima said that for the time being, as we enter the new year this still hasn’t been completely solved. Though in Japan, the situation is more along the lines where customers don’t have to wait multiple days, and if they can’t buy it in one store they can find the system at another. In other words, Switch still has its stock issues, but the situation has improved".

Around the Network
SuperNova said:
Huh. I can say fron anecdotal evidence that parts of europe had stock issues as long as last october, but the same anecdotal evidence suggests that there's plenty of Switch stock now.
Several of my local stores have upgraded from a few stray units behind the counter or in glass casing to a pile of around ~300 consoles.
In fact, the Switch seems to have taken the store space that was reserved for the Xbox before.

Well the is a difference between completely sold out and being not available by your favourite retailer. The latter still holds up rather well, but the first is still exclusive to Japan. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Finally, when asked if Nintendo has already solved Switch’s stock issues, Kimishima said that for the time being, as we enter the new year this still hasn’t been completely solved. Though in Japan, the situation is more along the lines where customers don’t have to wait multiple days, and if they can’t buy it in one store they can find the system at another. In other words, Switch still has its stock issues, but the situation has improved.

@Bold So basically stock issues are non-existent from the consumer side ... (doubt Europe stock issues are true since it's been widely available at many retailers last year)

@OP The 40K baseline is indeed justified but not for what most reasons people think ...  

fatslob-:O said:

Finally, when asked if Nintendo has already solved Switch’s stock issues, Kimishima said that for the time being, as we enter the new year this still hasn’t been completely solved. Though in Japan, the situation is more along the lines where customers don’t have to wait multiple days, and if they can’t buy it in one store they can find the system at another. In other words, Switch still has its stock issues, but the situation has improved.

@Bold So basically stock issues are non-existent from the consumer side ... (doubt Europe stock issues are true since it's been widely available at many retailers last year)

@OP The 40K baseline is indeed justified but not for what most reasons people think ...  

Switch was selling very fast in December in Europe, basically as much as March through November combined in some places. It's quite possible that they ate through the stocks and had some problems restocking, though I don't know if it is resolved by now. It will be interesting to see new numbers from different European countries and compare them with our numbers here on the site.

killeryoshis said:
It is out of stock in Europe? That's news to me.

Bear in mind that Kimishima is speaking about the whole fiscal year. Here in France, the system hadn't been in stock every week in the first months, but after the summer the stock issues were solved. Switch shelves aren't empty anymore.

Shikamo said: 

I take from this that Switch is available in Japan. The 40-50K sales must be nearing the demand atm. 

Around the Network

I know this is anecdotal, and it's not like I deliberately went out to look for things, but I had noticed that from november on I had been seeing less and less Switch consoles in the 4 or 5 stores (toy stores and a video-game store, but also Media Markt) near me I visit every now and then, to the point where for a short time I didn't see any anymore. Zelda and Mario Odyssey as well seemed rare during the holidays. It could be different from a country by country basis here in Europe, and there's probably plenty to find in some places, but I'd say it's likely it's been understocked in others.

fatslob-:O said:

yup the 40k baseline is what demand is, they should don't have enough units  for every store, but can be purchased if the customer really wants one with a little effort, as for europe, yea highly doubt this is true as well, from all accounts it's in stock every where. europe he must be talking about france only where it did post impressive numbers and was hard to find during the holidays.

I see the usual suspects are busy again saying there are no stock issues lol.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:

Actually I think it's pretty fair to say that in most places there isn't a stock issue, and even in Japan you can buy it in other stores. The Switch is doing great, no need to pretend like demand is being extremely limited by supply.

Hate to be "that guy" but the people in this thread that think there's serious stock issues(especially outside of Japan) literally just didn't read the last paragraph and didn't notice how much past tense was used in this article...

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 18 February 2018

Alkibiádēs said:

Kimishima himself pretty much said that there are no stock issues anymore, and if there are, they're not serious enough to limit sales.