By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - School Shooting in South Florida

Medisti said:
HandofPrometheus said:

People always ignore this argument.

I've honestly had people try to argue to me that it's pointless to regulate guns more because "people will just kill each other with stones." This is true; it's human nature. But, unless people are going to go to the effort to design and construct a trebuchet to launch massive boulders, they aren't going to be nearly as effective and detached as with a bullet. Bludgeoning someone to death is a lot harder, especially if they know you're trying to hit them, than aiming a gun and firing.

Because you could never murder almost 100 people inside of 5 minutes with a truck.

Around the Network
dirtylemons said:
Medisti said:

I've honestly had people try to argue to me that it's pointless to regulate guns more because "people will just kill each other with stones." This is true; it's human nature. But, unless people are going to go to the effort to design and construct a trebuchet to launch massive boulders, they aren't going to be nearly as effective and detached as with a bullet. Bludgeoning someone to death is a lot harder, especially if they know you're trying to hit them, than aiming a gun and firing.

Because you could never murder almost 100 people inside of 5 minutes with a truck.

Excellent, so I'll play along.

Time to outlaw all automobiles as well. And tall buildings. Think of how many people we can push off and how quickly we could do it.

Jranation said:
Praying to everyone who have been affected, but damn..... I can only think 1 reason why this always happen in the US......

Is That reason terrible gun laws ?

While I'm here, I'm surprised that with all the thoughts and prays that have already happened, how these things could happen time and time again. I can only think of 1 reason why this always happens regardless of the thoughts and prayers.......

Medisti said:
dirtylemons said:

Time to outlaw all automobiles as well. And tall buildings. Think of how many people we can push off and how quickly we could do it.

So you're saying that outlawing all guns is as farcical as outlawing all automobiles and tall buildings?

Medisti said:
dirtylemons said:

So based on your argument you are against all laws, because people will obviously always find a way to break laws so they are all essentially useless??? Is that seriously your argument?

Do any laws reduce the likelihood of something happening ??

Around the Network
dirtylemons said:
Medisti said:

So you're saying that outlawing all guns is as farcical as outlawing all automobiles and tall buildings?

I was more poking fun at the logical fallacy that a gun is a weapon created for the sole purpose of killing or wounding things, whereas an automobile is designed for transportation and not explicitly to run over people.

Medisti said:
dirtylemons said:

I was more poking fun at the logical fallacy that a gun is a weapon created for the sole purpose of killing or wounding things, whereas an automobile is designed for transportation and not explicitly to run over people.

But more people are killed in automobile-related incidents than in firearm-related incidents (even including suicides, which are the majority of firearm-related deaths), despite there being more guns in the U.S. than automobiles. So vehicles are undoubtedly a bigger killer.

dirtylemons said:
Medisti said:

But more people are killed in automobile-related incidents than in firearm-related incidents (even including suicides, which are the majority of firearm-related deaths), despite there being more guns in the U.S. than automobiles. So vehicles are undoubtedly a bigger killer.

That's another lovely fallacy that is technically true but is actually specious reasoning. The vast majority of auto-related deaths are accidental or due to negligence due to the sheer amount of traffic in the country every day. Intentional murder with a vehicle happens, but pales in comparison to the amount of intentional murders with firearms.

Not to mention quantity. Every car on the road, millions and millions of them each day, has a chance to crash and kill someone. People spend more time driving or riding in cars than they do firing their guns. The list could go on.

Medisti said:
dirtylemons said:

That's another lovely fallacy that is technically true but is actually specious reasoning. The vast majority of auto-related deaths are accidental or due to negligence due to the sheer amount of traffic in the country every day. Intentional murder with a vehicle happens, but pales in comparison to the amount of intentional murders with firearms.

Not to mention quantity. Every car on the road, millions and millions of them each day, has a chance to crash and kill someone. People spend more time driving or riding in cars than they do firing their guns. The list could go on.

So the fact that almost three times as many people die in the U.S. from automobile-related incidents than firearm-related homicides is inconsequential because one is intentional and the other could largely be attributed to negligence? It would seem that many lives lost are actually worth noting, but apparently it's okay to sweep them under the rug when it hinders an argument.

And automobile-related deaths are virtually always the fault of at least one driver. Mass traffic alone doesn't account for more than an infinitesimal amount of these deaths.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah... it's not as if you could change the laws of a country to forbid people from owning "weapons of warfare". It's not like any other country has done exactly that before. Oh, wait...

That won't get rid of the massive black market of guns in the US, you know the main way most criminals acquire their firearms here in the states?

Yes it would, over time.

Less guns in circulation make the black market smaller (the police keeps any illegal gun they find, black market cannot aqcuire new ones as easily)
Therefore prices on guns will rise on the black market, making it too expensive for thugs and school kids to buy them.

After such legislation is being made, you'd just need the police to focus on raids shortly after to massively decrease the amount of guns. The rest will happen over time.