By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - School Shooting in South Florida

If you want to make it politically you would have to ban Assault Democrats. Most of the countryside is murder free.

Murders in US very concentrated: 54% of US counties in 2014 had zero murders, 2% of counties have 51% of the murders

https://crimeresearch.org/2017/04/number-murders-county-54-us-counties-2014-zero-murders-69-1-murder/

Around the Network
Signalstar said:
dirtylemons said:

Again, shooting isn't the only way to do physical harm. Mexico has a far worse problem with violence, but it's almost never discussed. Why this particular issue, especially when violence overall, but gun violence as well, is on the decline?

Almost all of the illegal guns used in crime I Mexico are smuggled across the border from the U.S. So again the issue stems from the overabundance of guns in American society.

Source? Everything I've read suggests that there are thousands of guns being smuggled across the border, both ways, but more to the U.S. than from the U.S. Perhaps I'm mistaken or what I've read is misleading.
And it also overlooks the fact that Mexico still significantly outpaces the U.S. in homicides, even after removing gun crime.

dirtylemons said:
Bajablo said:

yeah, but there is only one way to have a school shooting.. guns.. so yeah.. but americans are too f*cking stupid to realize their lovely guns are one part of the issue.

Again, shooting isn't the only way to do physical harm. Mexico has a far worse problem with violence, but it's almost never discussed. Why this particular issue, especially when violence overall, but gun violence as well, is on the decline?

ok... lets take this one more time... SCHOOL SHOTINGS can only happen with guns.. what is this thread about? that an idiot shot people in a school.

and no, 'but look at mexico it is way worse there!' is kindergarten logic levels. Saying there is worse somewhere else does not in any way shape or form make 'you' better. the US has a problem, hope you can agree on that.

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

http://time.com/5159578/student-suspect-washington-state-school-shooting-plot/

Authorities arrested a Washington state student suspected in a school shooting plot after his grandmother showed officers plans for an attack.

Police in Everett, which is about 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of Seattle, arrested 18-year-old Joshua Alexander O’Connor on attempted murder and other charges at ACES High School on Tuesday, The Daily Herald reported. The arrest came one day before 17 people were killed and another 14 were injured in an unrelated school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

Earlier, O’Connor’s grandmother called 911 and showed responding officers a journal where he allegedly drew up plans to shoot students and use homemade explosives at the school, police said.

O’Connor wrote that he wanted the death count to be as high as possible so that the shooting would be infamous, according to court papers. His entries included details about making pressure-cooker bombs, activating inert grenades and deploying explosives for maximum casualties, court papers said.

“I need to make this count,” O’Connor reportedly wrote. “I’ve been reviewing many mass shootings/bombings (and attempted bombings) I’m learning from past shooters/bombers mistakes.”

Detectives serving a search warrant at the grandmother’s house seized the student’s journal, a rifle found inside a guitar case and inert grenades.

Public defender Rachel Forde noted the gun and the grenade shells were legal to possess. She said the “musings and ventings” in O’Connor’s journal weren’t enough evidence to support a charge of attempted murder.

Another entry allegedly described an armed robbery of a convenience store that police believe O’Connor participated in Monday night.

Cash from the robbery was supposed to help fund the school shooting, said deputy prosecutor Andrew Alsdorf in court.

O’Connor’s bail was set at $5 million.

Oh I am sorry this is the 19th this year. And it only happens here. People are sick being obsessed with a 200 year old amendment that has nothing to do with the reality of our current situation. Is there really nothing these fools will do to even protect themselves or even their children. What is wrong with these people?

Around the Network
Bajablo said:
dirtylemons said:

ok... lets take this one more time... SCHOOL SHOTINGS can only happen with guns.. what is this thread about? that an idiot shot people in a school.

and no, 'but look at mexico it is way worse there!' is kindergarten logic levels. Saying there is worse somewhere else does not in any way shape or form make 'you' better. the US has a problem, hope you can agree on that.

I absolutely think the U.S. has a problem. Many of them, actually. But I assume that the reason you have a problem with school shootings is because they're violent, yes? If so, then I think it totally reasonable to ask why so many people are quick to pontificate about violence in the U.S., but also ignore the neighbouring country which fares much worse in this regard.

Hiku said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

7 school shootings where people were shot (including this one) in a month and a half is still insane. 

Edit:The 8 shootings where no one was hurt (accidental fire or missing the target) in a month and a half is also insane.

Were any of these children's Paul Ryan's kids? Or Mitch McConnell's? No? Then they're not going to care no matter how many school shootings they have in a year.

Would be interesting to see how they would react if it was their children and not just another number.
A lot of people lack compassion for others until it happens to them. The same people who say "Why should I pay for the medical bills of others? Get a job!" are found a few months later begging others for money on Gofundme because they got sick.
And during the Las Vegas shooting there was a band who had a lot of guns in their trailer because they were firm believers in how guns would protect them, until they realized their guns would do no good, and then they changed their tune and wanted gun control.

Why can't some of these people realize these things before they're personally put in these positions?

Because even the most conservative estimates indicate that several times more people use firearms defensively than are murdered with them.

numberwang said:

If you want to make it politically you would have to ban Assault Democrats. Most of the countryside is murder free.

Murders in US very concentrated: 54% of US counties in 2014 had zero murders, 2% of counties have 51% of the murders

https://crimeresearch.org/2017/04/number-murders-county-54-us-counties-2014-zero-murders-69-1-murder/

That has more to do with population than political affiliation.  You are part of the insanity problem if you can't even get past you hate of a political designation.  Your kind of thinking makes it impossible for people to see the truth and keeps them pointing at each other instead of actually doing something about the problem.  The issues is providing mentally ill people with war machines to increase the level of fear in our society.  The issues is not getting these people help and getting these weapons off the streets.   You can't have mass mental illness and stock piles of guns.  It is insane to expect anyone else.    More densely populated areas are always going to have more ill people and more guns.  Don't be silly.  Just try to address it.  Don't be scared, that is the method the NRA uses to keep us killing each other and buying their guns. 

CosmicSex said:
Oh I am sorry this is the 19th this year. And it only happens here. People are sick being obsessed with a 200 year old amendment that has nothing to do with the reality of our current situation. Is there really nothing these fools will do to even protect themselves or even their children. What is wrong with these people?

CosmicSex said:
numberwang said:

That has more to do with population than political affiliation.  You are part of the insanity problem if you can't even get past you hate of a political designation.  Your kind of thinking makes it impossible for people to see the truth and keeps them pointing at each other instead of actually doing something about the problem.  The issues is providing mentally ill people with war machines to increase the level of fear in our society.  The issues is not getting these people help and getting these weapons off the streets.   You can't have mass mental illness and stock piles of guns.  It is insane to expect anyone else.    More densely populated areas are always going to have more ill people and more guns.  Don't be silly.  Just try to address it.  Don't be scared, that is the method the NRA uses to keep us killing each other and buying their guns. 

You call people fools, saying they are against protecting themselves and their children if they disagree with you. Do you not think this approach to discourse is also part of the problem?

Bajablo said:
dirtylemons said:

Yes, school shootings can only happen with guns, but, they can only be stopped with guns.....

Therefore the answer is to have armed police at schools !