By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Switch Titles Can Become The Best Selling Titles In Their Franchises As Well? (Updated)

Prime 4 100% will, the hype for the game already eclipses any hype  all other Metroid games combined ever got pre-release and all they've shown us is the title card. It will also be on a hugely successful platform, so that pretty much locks it to set the franchise sales record. Animal Crossing stands a good shot if it's as well received as New Leaf was and is released during the holiday. Pokemon is probably next to no chance. 32m is an absurd number to beat, especially when the last 5 gens have all consistently sold between 15-18m. That range seems to be pretty set in stone for the franchise.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Miyamotoo said:

I dont think thats a case but point that people know that every handheld (or in this case hybrid) has several Pokemon games, so Switch also will not have only only Pokemon release and that will effect on sales, its not like we will have just one Pokemon game that will sell hole Switch life cycle. So hardly that we will have one Pokemon game that will sell 30m+.

The's a big difference here though as the hardware is not strictly portable based only we could have one title that receives DLC packs and expansions which I could see possibly happening, he's right in that Pokemon has a massive potential boost as we all underestimated the effect such a jump would have on MH and that outsold every other title with ease.

To give an example they could just have one game (two version approach) with an initial season pass then rather than make another title they would make expansion like DLC for a second season pass, it would make sense as development even though the platform is a hybrid is now console level so multiple titles like before are likely to not be as common in a gen like before.

Thats true but 30m+ is huge number in any case if we talk about game that's not heavily bundled and that will not be only Pokemon game on system. I dont say its not possible, but thats unlikely.

No way that we will have just one Pokemon game (two version approach) on Switch, Pokemon Company knows that evre Pokemon game is at least 10-15m seller in any case, Switch will probably have 2-3 Pokemon games.

Metroid prime for sure, it stayed on the first spot on amazon for a few dayes after it announcement and a lot of people will hype this game. Only real bad graphics could kill the hype/sales.
Animal crossing has a good chance as well. With a good dlc politic the game will have great legs for years.
Pokemon on the other hand will not unless there is some crazy pokemon go hype around this game but I don't know how Nintendo wants to achieve that. The graphics will be underwhelming compared to the other big AAA openworld games. It might also be the case that they release a new version every year or at least every second year, no gta game sold 35 million on a single platform and they usually release 5+ years apart from each other

Metroid will.

pokemon and animal crossing no.

Switch!!!

Wyrdness said:
Miyamotoo said:

I dont think thats a case but point that people know that every handheld (or in this case hybrid) has several Pokemon games, so Switch also will not have only only Pokemon release and that will effect on sales, its not like we will have just one Pokemon game that will sell hole Switch life cycle. So hardly that we will have one Pokemon game that will sell 30m+.

The's a big difference here though as the hardware is not strictly portable based only we could have one title that receives DLC packs and expansions which I could see possibly happening, he's right in that Pokemon has a massive potential boost as we all underestimated the effect such a jump would have on MH and that outsold every other title with ease.

To give an example they could just have one game (two version approach) with an initial season pass then rather than make another title they would make expansion like DLC for a second season pass, it would make sense as development even though the platform is a hybrid is now console level so multiple titles like before are likely to not be as common in a gen like before.

Exactly, and even if they were to put another game "soon" after the first, I believe it would take at least 3 years. People aren't going to accept slightly different versions because this isn't a limited handheld anymore.

Let's just remember Odyssey shiped 9m in 2 months on a smaller user base.. My 15m first 2 or 3 months for Pokémon isn't that farfetched.

At the same time I think people are overestimating Metroid a bit. Saying it definitely will do more than 3m is something that surprised me. I'm not saying it won't, just that it's a mid-tier seller that still has to prove itselft. 

Animal Crossing on the other hand I can see it happening simply because the series is already big and can benefit from an HD and mostly, heavy online interactions, jump.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

Pokemon won't.

Animal Crossing is very likely and Metroid Prime 4 has a fairly decent chance.

LipeJJ said:

Exactly, and even if they were to put another game "soon" after the first, I believe it would take at least 3 years. People aren't going to accept slightly different versions because this isn't a limited handheld anymore.

Let's just remember Odyssey shiped 9m in 2 months on a smaller user base.. My 15m first 2 or 3 months for Pokémon isn't that farfetched.

At the same time I think people are overestimating Metroid a bit. Saying it definitely will do more than 3m is something that surprised me. I'm not saying it won't, just that it's a mid-tier seller that still has to prove itselft. 

Animal Crossing on the other hand I can see it happening simply because the series is already big and can benefit from an HD and mostly, heavy online interactions, jump.

Yeah that's how I see it as well with the higher resources required for development I think the days of games releasing in short bursts are over, imo Nintendo would rather 1 high selling title that clocks in at 25-30m who they can then sell dlc and an expansion to than 2 separate instalments, S/M moved 14m in 3 or so months so 15m in the first quarter for the Switch game is very doable.

They all might have the chance.
With pokemon you never know what happens, especially with it being the first true home console pokemon.
Animal crossing might do it, depends on what they do with it.
With metroid I think they has the best chance to really perform better than most expect, but that depends heavily on whether the game is great or not and also on if its advertised enough.

Time to give this a bump after the recent financial results, BOTW has become the best selling Zelda title no doubt at this point Odyssey has done the same for 3D Mario platformers being at over 10m at the end of March and XBC2 which already was the best selling Xenoblade game has moved up to 1.3m which according to this site is the same sales as games like Persona 5 at retail.

Given the recent results have people's outlook changed?

zorg1000 said:
Animal Crossing & Metroid, possible

Pokemon, not likely

This. Pokemon could be between 17-19m.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile