By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stuff that Dark Souls does the best in Souls games

Is Dark Souls the best game ever made?

Yes 4 50.00%

No that's Bloodborne 4 50.00%

No that's Dark Souls 3 0 0%

No that's Demon's Souls 0 0%

Total:8

I made a thread on stuff that Demon's Souls does the best in Souls games. Now its time for me to do that for Dark Souls which is my favourite game of all time. Without further ado they are the following:

1. World design: Lordran is the one aspect that transcends Dark Souls above any other Souls game. They all share many similar components but the world design of Dark Souls is not like any game I've played. Dark Souls is an open world game but rather than having vast land with some bumpy terrain here and there the open world of Dark Souls is vertical in design and linear in parts. What that implies is that there are certain paths you can follow to get anywhere but you can get anywhere provided you know the path and have opened it. The world design is such that if you can see a place far above or below you can go to that place. Like Demon's Souls there are shortcuts but rather than cutting down on the time you spend on one level it opens shorter routes between levels in the most unexpected ways. I was amazed the first time I went from Undead Parish to Firelink Shrine on the lift.

2. Secret areas: Dark Souls has a lot of secret areas and really well hidden ones that feel rewarding when you've unlocked them. Ash Lake with memorable music and charm and Painted World of Ariamis with its incredible level design are some of my favourites in the Souls series.

3. Best designed level: I praised Demon's Souls for its level design and while that is true for your typical level in a Souls game there is Painted World of Ariamis that I feel is the best designed level in the series. Its a small level that makes the most of its vertical and horizontal spaces and this level in itself holds a ton of hidden areas and I really like how everything in the level curls back on itself in such a way that you always know where you are even with the complex structure of this level. The enemy placement is fantastic.

4. Opening: Dark Souls has the best opening level and boss in the Souls games. Its not like the easy straightforward tutorial of Demon's Souls, the convoluted and incredibly hard for first timers 1-1 in Demon's Souls, the barebones journey to Majula in Dark Souls and the straightforward journey in Dark Souls 3 but Northern Asylum does have some decent thought put into its level design and the introduction of the Asylum Demon is great as the game teaches you to read the environment when you find yourself in trouble. The boss also teaches you plunge attacks and is fun to fight at the beginning of the game for veterans and difficult but fair for newcomers.

Around the Network

The thing that impressed me the most about Dark Souls was the level design, it indeed is one of its strong points.

1. Bloodborne (especially Gameplay/Bossfights) >>> NiOh (best characters for me) >> Dark Souls 3 & Demon Souls >the rest :)

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 11 February 2018

estebxx said:
The thing that impressed me the most about Dark Souls was the level design, it indeed is one of its strong points.

World design you mean.

Okay ... this is going to sound really stupid and i'm sure no one will agree with me ... but ... like ...

I feel like every Souls game after Dark Souls pretty much focused entirely on the combat and almost nothing else. I mean sure, they all had interesting art styles and good graphics and a decent story and some good lore(especially Bloodborne). But I really felt like Dark Souls did the best at balancing the whole experience. When I play Bloodborne I mostly only play it for the combat. Same with DS3 which pretty much threw out caring about unique worlds.

I really felt like Dark Souls 1 was THE World-based game in the series. Now that could be my nostalgia goggles, or maybe if I played Demon's Souls I would think that game was the best at balancing everything. But right now I think DS 1 takes the crown

Around the Network

I love DS games on first place because atmosphere and level/world design.

No game managed to create such an amazing world like Dark Souls again.
Dark Souls is in my opinion the best game ever made and I agree with you all of your points. :)

To me, the original Dark Souls will always be the best.  

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Okay ... this is going to sound really stupid and i'm sure no one will agree with me ... but ... like ...

I feel like every Souls game after Dark Souls pretty much focused entirely on the combat and almost nothing else. I mean sure, they all had interesting art styles and good graphics and a decent story and some good lore(especially Bloodborne). But I really felt like Dark Souls did the best at balancing the whole experience. When I play Bloodborne I mostly only play it for the combat. Same with DS3 which pretty much threw out caring about unique worlds.

I really felt like Dark Souls 1 was THE World-based game in the series. Now that could be my nostalgia goggles, or maybe if I played Demon's Souls I would think that game was the best at balancing everything. But right now I think DS 1 takes the crown

Miyamotoo said:
I love DS games on first place because atmosphere and level/world design.

Dr.Vita said:
No game managed to create such an amazing world like Dark Souls again.
Dark Souls is in my opinion the best game ever made and I agree with you all of your points. :)

CourteousBanker said:

To me, the original Dark Souls will always be the best.  

I agree with all of you xD

To me Nioh > Bloodborne > Demon Souls > DSIII > DSI > DSII >>> The Surge >>>>>>>>>>>> Lords of the Fallen.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)