By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Sales 13 January 2018

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
quickrick said:

well like before 99% of the time, a company announces sell through numbers they will be recent, the fact that nintendo said 13 million  Now is not circumstantial, now only has one meaning, like i said many times.

But that's the problem, you focused on wording so many times that it worked against you.

You say now only has one meaning, but in the context of that paragraph they literally put it in the context of holiday sales

i'm sure Nintendo isn't purposely using obtuse language, but using language to win an argument on an IR report is iffy especially if it's from Nintendo...

I still don't think you're right per say, we just don't know for sure because the information is clashing

all they said is they had a great holidays, that has nothing to do with reporting up to date recent numbers. really there 0 reason not to report recent sold through numbers. the charts are right there telling people they are using data till jan 21, but lets just ignore them. really all evidence points to the 13 million number as being very recent.

Last edited by quickrick - on 11 February 2018

Around the Network

Guys, just give up already, he specificly ignores all responses which prove he's wrong so there is no need to try reasoning him

quickrick said:

]

xMetroid said:
I still haven't seen the "as of now" that you are talking about. Which would also be really weird from someone in Marketing using that word considering they don't have the numbers as of 'now'.. they can't track numbers as easily you know.

The number now exceeds 13 million, only has one meaning.

Well the word "now" is not used as the timeframe but to refer to the number like "the last number we got". 

quickrick said:
OTBWY said:

This is getting stupid. These charts, together with the European and Japanese one, suggest a total of 12,5m, which contradict their own saying. Besides the fact that no single hard number is given here about the exact date as of now (since most data is from OCT-DEC) it doesn't even account other regions as a bonus. I think we can safely say that the charts mean nothing and nice try. Nintendo released data from OCT-DEC, that data was what was addressed in the briefing, nothing more. No extra 21 days for your convenience. Now firmly stay on that seat.

Latest as in context of last sell through numbers, and excluding other regions too as a little bonus.

expected response from, most unreasonable poster here really. you ignore the fact that nintedo shared 7 million units sold through and mario sales, which were out side of the  Q2 briefing period, you ignore the charts which nintedo uses in the Q3 BRIEFING  period, you ignore that nintendo uses NOW exceeds 13 million, which only has only was one meaning, really your argument is nintendo won't report numbers outside OCT-DEC period, which they have. now only has one meaning if it was as of the dec 31 nintedo would have said so, there is no context for the word now it only means now.

Do you have any actual numbers and proof to claim otherwise except some (as usual) cherryricked out of context snaps from a report that show nothing other than a graph that's a quick simple visual representation? I'm not even playing the semantics game with you. As it stands, actual sales data adds up to more than just 13 million (excluding exceeds). Also, saying stuff outside reports can go either way because A: Nintendo likes to announce milestones and B: Takes excerpts straight from their own report. It doesn't mean anything. Now, I want actual numbers from you contradicting VGC's numbers.

quickrick said:
xMetroid said:

Hm what ? Nintendo announced Switch was at more than 13 millions as of December 31st and it's nothing counting some countries. If it's overtracked it's by only a little since it was 13.3 as of Dec 31st and we know it's over 13 millions + some places. I think they will give us precise numbers around the anniversary.

No the press  release clearly said as of now. they also can report numbers outside there  trimester, as they have before.

The press release or more correct the quarterly release is always up to the end of the quarter, which is in this case december 31.

Besides, in their Q&A with the investors, where one asked why there's such a big difference between sold-in and sold-through, Shuntaro Furukuwa of Nintendo said that the sell-through Numbers are not including Latin America nor some parts of Asia because they can't ascertain the actual volume of sales there. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180210e.pdf (page 2, at the bottom and beginning of page 3)

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 11 February 2018

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
quickrick said:

No the press  release clearly said as of now. they also can report numbers outside there  trimester, as they have before.

The press release or more correct the quarterly release is always up to the end of the quarter, which is in this case december 31.

Besides, in their Q&A with the investors, where one asked why there's such a big difference between sold-in and sold-through, Shuntaro Furukuwa of Nintendo said that the sell-through Numbers are not including Latin America nor some parts of Asia because they can't ascertain the actual volume of sales there. chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180210e.pdf (page 2, at the bottom and beginning of page 3)

they can report numbers outside that period, they have before with mario in Q2 and 7 million switches in consumers hand which was after september 30 period.

OTBWY said:
quickrick said:

expected response from, most unreasonable poster here really. you ignore the fact that nintedo shared 7 million units sold through and mario sales, which were out side of the  Q2 briefing period, you ignore the charts which nintedo uses in the Q3 BRIEFING  period, you ignore that nintendo uses NOW exceeds 13 million, which only has only was one meaning, really your argument is nintendo won't report numbers outside OCT-DEC period, which they have. now only has one meaning if it was as of the dec 31 nintedo would have said so, there is no context for the word now it only means now.

Do you have any actual numbers and proof to claim otherwise except some (as usual) cherryricked out of context snaps from a report that show nothing other than a graph that's a quick simple visual representation? I'm not even playing the semantics game with you. As it stands, actual sales data adds up to more than just 13 million (excluding exceeds). Also, saying stuff outside reports can go either way because A: Nintendo likes to announce milestones and B: Takes excerpts straight from their own report. It doesn't mean anything. Now, I want actual numbers from you contradicting VGC's numbers.

if nintendo got to14 million  this early, you can be sure they would have announced that number in the last briefing  report, just like announced  7 million in there last briefing report,  which was outside the Q2 dates.   

quickrick said:
OTBWY said:

if nintendo surpassed this 14 million  this early, you can be sure they would have announced that number in the last briefing  report, just like announced  7 million which was outside the Q2 dates.   

This is going in circles and I think you should listen to Mar1217 because I sure am going wait for that milestone for now. And when it happens we will talk again.

quickrick said: 

all they said is they had a great holidays, that has nothing to do with reporting up to date recent numbers. really there 0 reason not to report recent sold through numbers. the charts are right there telling people they are using data till jan 21, but lets just ignore them.

I'm literally telling you that the chart is convincing and that it's the reason I think you may be right ... I don't know how i'm ignoring them ...

You really don't have to fight using an us vs. them mentality all the time

I don't know how you could say the holidays have nothing to do with the reporting ... the report is literally a holiday report. It's about the holidays. that's the point of the report. 

However, I think you're wrong. And it's for one big reason that I just realized. 

If you look at the chart, the total sales of Japan, America, and Europe are totaled at about 12.5 million for January 21st. That number is SOLD THROUGH.

VGChartz tracking for all those three regions combined as of January 13th? 12,035,874. This means that it's very likely that in actuality VGChartz is tracking close to Nintendo's sold-through number.

You tried to use the fact that the chart was referencing January 21st to prove that this is overtracked because the 13 million number must come from January 21st if the chart is next to it ...  but the chart, if anything, is actually showing extra sales after the holiday season. Unless you somehow think that the Switch only sold 500k units in other regions outside of Europe, North America, and Japan? 

IN ORDER TO BELIEVE THAT THE 13 MILLION NUMBER COMES FROM JANUARY 21st, you would literally have to think that only 500k switch's were sold in other regions besides NA,JP, and Europe in almost a whole year...

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 11 February 2018

quickrick said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Besides, in their Q&A with the investors, where one asked why there's such a big difference between sold-in and sold-through, Shuntaro Furukuwa of Nintendo said that the sell-through Numbers are not including Latin America nor some parts of Asia because they can't ascertain the actual volume of sales there. chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180210e.pdf (page 2, at the bottom and beginning of page 3)

they can report numbers outside that period, they have before with mario in Q2 and 7 million switches in consumers hand which was after september 30 period.

Yes, that's possible, but they did report those 13M numbers for the end of the quarter.

But why are we even argueing with you? No matter what proof we send your way you dismiss or more correctly ignore them, as by the time passed between my post and yours strongly implies you didn't even read the proof I sent you and the answer isn't even acknowledging anything of the text ( where they literally say they sold over 13M by end of the year ffs!)