By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Sales 13 January 2018

quickrick said:

switch way over tracked, you guys really think that if switch was at 14 million already by the 13 of jan, nintendo would only anounce 13 million number jan 30.

xMetroid said:

Hm what ? Nintendo announced Switch was at more than 13 millions as of December 31st and it's nothing counting some countries. If it's overtracked it's by only a little since it was 13.3 as of Dec 31st and we know it's over 13 millions + some places. I think they will give us precise numbers around the anniversary.

jason1637 said:
Why are people getting on quickrick case? The Switch is over tracked and it's good that someone points it out so that it can be corrected.

Q3

The figures for Nintendo Switch hardware you presented during the presentation reveal a gap of

some 1.8 million units between cumulative sell-through (13 million) and sell-in (14.86 million). Is

that because there are many units in distribution inventory, particularly in Europe and the US? In

the current revision, you have quite a large sell-in planned for the fourth quarter. Can you explain

this in terms of the supply and demand situation?

A3

Kimishima:

Although there were differences in Nintendo Switch sales during the holiday season in Japan,

the US, and Europe, the sales were extremely robust in all three regions. The difference between

sell-in (sales from us to retailers) and sell-through (sales from retailers to consumers) is

comprised of the units in transit by retailers from their distribution centers to their stores, and

the units in inventory in those stores. Because Europe is composed of so many countries, the

distribution routes there are a little complicated. In Japan, consumers are finally becoming able

to buy Nintendo Switch any time they want and the difference between sell-in and sell-through

in question this time could even be larger to ensure that Nintendo Switch is delivered smoothly

into consumersʼ hands. If there were no difference, then we would need to implement a system

to accommodate consumers quickly as various software titles come to market.

Shuntaro Furukawa (Director, Managing Executive Officer):

Let me just add here that the (Nintendo Switch cumulative sell-through of) 13 million units

does not include the sales in Latin America and some regions of Asia where we cannot ascertain

the actual volume for retail sales, so to repeat the point, the difference with sell-in may not all be

due to inventory.

Because of the vagueness of saying it's "over 13 million" and because the report didn't include a few countries, we really don't know if Quickrick is right or not. 

Source : https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180210e.pdf

Edit: To throw my personal opinion in here, I think it probably is around 14 million. Keep in mind, these numbers are based on December 31st, so having it become 14 million in two weeks whilst already being over 13 million isn't that surprising ... it's a Nintendo console right after a holiday season ... 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 11 February 2018

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
quickrick said:

nintendo announced 13 millions sold through as of jan 28

Nintendo never said that.

well i said the 28  because tracking end the last day of week, they would use that number, but nintendo clearly said as of now, which only has one meaning.

how many more weeks before MHW boost kicks in?

jason1637 said:
newwil7l said:

Because he is basing the conclusion that is over tracked on a whole lot of nothing.

How? Nintendo reported the Switch was over 13m by the end of January and VGC has it over 14m in the second week of January. 

There is no way. Switch killed the NPD in December and there is no way it did only 3 million in a month and a half with said months being December and January... 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
quickrick said:

switch way over tracked, you guys really think that if switch was at 14 million already by the 13 of jan, nintendo would only anounce 13 million number jan 30.

Because of the vagueness of saying it's "over 13 million" and because the report didn't include a few countries, we really don't know if Quickrick is right or not. 

well even so, it still way over tracked, nintendo should be well over 14 million as of jan 28m according to vgchartz number why would nintedo not say 14 milllion then?

Around the Network
quickrick said:

xMetroid said:

Hm what ? Nintendo announced Switch was at more than 13 millions as of December 31st and it's nothing counting some countries. If it's overtracked it's by only a little since it was 13.3 as of Dec 31st and we know it's over 13 millions + some places. I think they will give us precise numbers around the anniversary.

jason1637 said:
Why are people getting on quickrick case? The Switch is over tracked and it's good that someone points it out so that it can be corrected.

Q3

The figures for Nintendo Switch hardware you presented during the presentation reveal a gap of

some 1.8 million units between cumulative sell-through (13 million) and sell-in (14.86 million). Is

that because there are many units in distribution inventory, particularly in Europe and the US? In

the current revision, you have quite a large sell-in planned for the fourth quarter. Can you explain

this in terms of the supply and demand situation?

A3

Kimishima:

Although there were differences in Nintendo Switch sales during the holiday season in Japan,

the US, and Europe, the sales were extremely robust in all three regions. The difference between

sell-in (sales from us to retailers) and sell-through (sales from retailers to consumers) is

comprised of the units in transit by retailers from their distribution centers to their stores, and

the units in inventory in those stores. Because Europe is composed of so many countries, the

distribution routes there are a little complicated. In Japan, consumers are finally becoming able

to buy Nintendo Switch any time they want and the difference between sell-in and sell-through

in question this time could even be larger to ensure that Nintendo Switch is delivered smoothly

into consumersʼ hands. If there were no difference, then we would need to implement a system

to accommodate consumers quickly as various software titles come to market.

Shuntaro Furukawa (Director, Managing Executive Officer):

Let me just add here that the (Nintendo Switch cumulative sell-through of) 13 million units

does not include the sales in Latin America and some regions of Asia where we cannot ascertain

the actual volume for retail sales, so to repeat the point, the difference with sell-in may not all be

due to inventory.

Edit: To throw my personal opinion in here, I think it probably is around 14 million. Keep in mind, these numbers are based on December 31st, so having it become 14 million in two weeks whilst already being over 13 million isn't that surprising ... it's a Nintendo console right after a holiday season ... 

I mean maybe I'm missing something but they are talking about holiday shipments. Yes it's not specifying the 13 millions is for the Holiday period cause it's too damn obvious. Why would they even bother comparing Holiday shipments to "at this right minute" sales if it's not the same timeframe ? 

quickrick said:

well even so, it still way over tracked, nintendo should be well over 14 million as of jan 28m according to vgchartz number why would nintedo not say 14 milllion then?

No .... 14.86 million is the shipped number for December 31st, with the sell-through being 13+ million as of the same date. I don't know what you mean referring to Jan 28th ... we don't have numbers from that date?

quickrick said:

Are you okay ? Blink twice if you are being held hostage and typing random thoughts against your will.

quickrick said:

No .... 14.86 million is the shipped number for December 31st, with the sell-through being 13+ million as of the same date. I don't know what you mean referring to Jan 28th ... we don't have numbers from that date?

nope, the sell through number is not of the 31, nintedo can report numbers outside of that period, there charts with the sell through also go up to week 47 which is jan 21, nintendo also said as of now, not the december 31 like there shipment numbers. 

quickrick said:

nope, the sell through number is not of the 31, nintedo can report numbers outside of that period, there charts with the sell through also go up to week 47 which is jan 21, nintendo also said as of now, not the december 31 like there shipment numbers. 

I'm pretty sure that's entirely incorrect. Are you literally implying that an investor was using a false comparison between the numbers sold through as of late January and the numbers shipped as of December? You're literally insinuating that the investor A ) is retarded and B ) that Nintendo is making a comparison between two different numbers from different dates for no reason ...

Sorry but I think it's really apparent what's going on here