By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Eu voted to scrap Daylight Savings time!!

European Parliament pass vote to scrap daylight savings time, European Commission must carry out 'thorough assessment' of clock change

Earlier, the European Parliament voted 384 to 153 in favour of scrapping daylight savings time.

The vote puts pressure on the European Commission to make a decision on the clock change.

MEPs are calling for an end to the EU rule, as studies show the time change can negatively impact people's health.

Source: https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/european-parliament-pass-vote-scrap-11993227   
http://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-eu-politicians-set-to-vote-on-whether-to-scrap-daylight-saving-time-20180204
etc.

It is not scrapped yet but what this means => Worst case => We have a bunch of countries who use summertime , a bunch who use Winter time and others who still use the bi annual time changes.

Best Case scenario: 5 o'clock in London will also be 5 o'clock trough the rest of Europe/(EU)

Around the Network

Crap there goes my excuse once a year to show up late

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

We'll probably keep it if we leave the EU anyway. :P

Hmm, pie.

I like that, I've never been a fan of DST.

Don't overreact please....They decided to put it in question and debate about it during the next years and several ongoing decisions....nothing is set in stone yet and it's possible nothing will change.

I would hate the decision actually, since we in Germany wouldn't have long summer evenings anymore. If anything I'd want the winter time to die. I never understood why they make us change the clock in winter so it's dark at 5pm already instead of 6pm, which is early enough. I'm aware that's a local opinion though.

Where do you guys come from and what is your opinion on the matter?

Around the Network

This would mean a whole year wintertime, right?

They should also change the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Spain to the UK timezone, where we belong.

Flilix said:

Correct.

Wintertime is the 'real' time. Anyway nothing's happening just yet but I don't care if they do scrap it. It's always been pointless.

Flilix said:

They should also change the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Spain to the UK timezone, where we belong.

Why would you want that?! Honest question.

S.Peelman said: 
Wintertime is the 'real' time. Anyway nothing's happening just yet but I don't care if they do scrap it. It's always been pointless.

I agree it's kind of a hassle but I'd definitely care if it would be dark around 9pm in summer already, where I live. I'd definitely vote to keep summer time instead.

Errorist76 said:

Don't overreact please....They decided to put it in question and debate about it during the next years and several ongoing decisions....nothing is set in stone yet and it's possible nothing will change.

I would hate the decision actually, since we in Germany wouldn't have long summer evenings anymore. If anything I'd want the winter time to die. I never understood why they make us change the clock in winter so it's dark at 5pm already instead of 6pm, which is early enough. I'm aware that's a local opinion though.

Where do you guys come from and what is your opinion on the matter?

Not overreacting here but it is a step closer to scrap DST. Also not an expert on time zones but read that normally at 12.00 the sun should be on his highest point and during summertime we are two hours behind.  Personally I don't care that much about time changes but I would prefer summer time aswell sure in the winter it will be like 09.00 before we have sunrise but it could be worse.