By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Take-Two on the possibility of more Switch games, impressed with systems growth

PSintend0 said:
JEMC said:

In summary

• Slatoff: We're really impressed with Switch.
  • Journalist: Does that mean that you'll launch more games on the platform?
  • Slatoff: *whistles*

We heard those kinds of comments with Wii and even WiiU (at first), and it meant nothing. Actions speak louder than words, Mr. Slatoff.

Actions like L.A. Noire, NBA 2K18 and WWE 2K18? I am convinced that they will put at least one GTA on switch, why wouldn´t they?

GTA on Switch? Really?

The next GTA will probably demand a lot from the hardware, if it ever launches this gen, so I don't think they'll consider Switch for it. As for a port of GTA V,  the game launched 5 years ago and Rockstar moved on to make RDR 2. I doubt they care about the game being on Switch or not, and I don't know if Take Two cares either.

As for the three games they've launched, only NBA could be seen as a big one, and they did probably did it because, with EA out the question, they would take all the possible market for themselves... and while last November they said they were pleased with the results, they didn't gave numbers nor talked about future projects.

So, again, one thing is to launch several test games when a platform launches, something that happens a lot with Nintendo machines, but we still have to see what happens next, with games, not words.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
PSintend0 said:

Actions like L.A. Noire, NBA 2K18 and WWE 2K18? I am convinced that they will put at least one GTA on switch, why wouldn´t they?

Well why didn't they put any GTA game on the Wii?

I think there are a few reasons why a GTA on Wii was never released. For one thing, GTA IV was out of the question because the system was not powerful enough (a similar situation applies to Switch, where I don't think we will see GTA VI on this platform due to the power discrepancy). This would leave Rockstar with two options: 1) port an older GTA game that does run on Wii 2) Create a new game that exclusively runs on the Wii. But there were problems with both of these strategies. Porting an older GTA game needs justification that gives the market a reason to buy the older game. For example, on PS3/Xbox 360 ports of older PS2/Xbox/GC/Dreamcast games were touted for their graphical upgrades; on Wii, since the graphics were very similar to PS2/GC/Xbox, the main selling point for these older games would be the motion controls. The older GTA games didn't really have mechanics that would work well with the motion control system (in addition, it is possible that the Wii's lack of controller buttons would have hindered a port). As for creating a new game from scratch exclusively for that system, you need a fairly large reason to justify that. The reason for the DS and PSP's GTA games was because of the portability. On Wii, since it was a stationary system, it was likely that they saw that the group of people (young male teens/adults) that typically buy the game already had one of the HD twins, so they did not really need to make an exclusive game for Wii to reach those people.

On Switch I think we can rule out the likelihood that Rockstar will develop a ground up version of GTA because production values on systems like Switch have become far too high to warrant such a move for a single platform. Moreover, it is highly unlikely that GTA VI, a game that will most likely be built around the capabilities of the more powerful PS4, Xbox One, and modern gaming PCs will make it over on the less powerful Switch. However, there is a good case to be made for a port of GTA V (and potentially some of the older games that have been re-released on mobile platforms; since Switch's architecture is so similar to them) for Switch. In the case of GTA V, a Switch port will most likely see, at the very least, a modest improvement in graphics (which if the Switch was a stationary system would not be enough of a reason to port the game over, because again most of the stationary audience would probably have either an older system or a newer more powerful console to play it on), but more importantly it will provide a modern GTA game that can be taken on the go (and this is why a port would make a lot of sense on Switch; more so than it would on a system like Wii).The portability combined with good growth in the installbase (at least thus far) should increase the likelihood of ports of these older games.

JEMC said:
PSintend0 said:

GTA on Switch? Really?

The next GTA will probably demand a lot from the hardware, if it ever launches this gen, so I don't think they'll consider Switch for it. As for a port of GTA V,  the game launched 5 years ago and Rockstar moved on to make RDR 2. I doubt they care about the game being on Switch or not, and I don't know if Take Two cares either.

As for the three games they've launched, only NBA could be seen as a big one, and they did probably did it because, with EA out the question, they would take all the possible market for themselves... and while last November they said they were pleased with the results, they didn't gave numbers nor talked about future projects.

So, again, one thing is to launch several test games when a platform launches, something that happens a lot with Nintendo machines, but we still have to see what happens next, with games, not words.

Rockstar has multiple internal studios (including some smaller ones that are there for support, porting, and smaller projects) and there are numerous external studios that a port can be outsourced to. We have seen a lot of ports and remakes this generations on all of the systems (many of which involved an external studio handling the porting; while the main studio that made the game in the past was working on another project), so I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea of a GTA 5 port at this point.

KLXVER said:
PSintend0 said:

From same reson why evre bigger 3rd party game didnt come to Wii.

Miyamotoo said:
KLXVER said:

It got games like Resident Evil 4 and Bully. Could have gotten any of the PS2 GTAs.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
PSintend0 said:

GTA on Switch? Really?

They just released La Noire Remaster on Switch, game thats older than GTAV. GTAV sold 15m in 2017. full handheld GTAV totaly makes sense, it would esaily sold at least 3m+ on Switch also.

In any case we had some solid/believable rumors that GTAV is coming on Switch, most likely this year, who knows maybe we will have GTA V announcement at next Direct or at E3. :)

Miyamotoo said:
KLXVER said:

except for Cod and sport games

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
KLXVER said:
Miyamotoo said:

It got games like Resident Evil 4 and Bully. Could have gotten any of the PS2 GTAs.

Few games dont change nothing, RE4 was GC game and Bully was also on Xbox360. Better ask yourself why Switch have game like Skyrim or Dark Souls, while Wii and Wii U didnt had them.

Shikamo said:
Miyamotoo said:

except for Cod and sport games

Yeah CoD, and even PS2 had long support for sports games.

Miyamotoo said:
KLXVER said:

Few games dont change nothing, RE4 was GC game and Bully was also on Xbox360. Better ask yourself why Switch have game like Skyrim or Dark Souls, while Wii and Wii U didnt had them.

Because the Switch sold better than the WiiU and the Wii couldn't handle them. The Wii could handle PS2 games.