By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Okami better on PS2?

Lets play it first before we say which version is better. I normally agree with the opposite of Game Informer so we shall see if the controls are spot on then. Good. Got my first dig in at Game Informer for a while. I feel better now.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:

No Windbane, Nintendo Power doesn't hate Wii games, they hate PS2 ports. You even acknowledge this directly after your asinine statement.

What other PS2 ports have they hated? Try Prince of Persia Rival Swords (shitty gimped port of Prince of Persia 3). Try Scarface. Try Godfather: Blackhand. I think the reaccuring comment of "enough crappy PS2 ports already" is testamony enough to their sentiments.

Oh but no, "its just us defending this game." Certainly the same magazine that gave Nights for the Wii a 10/10 is to be weighed as the most important reviewer of them all. Who cares if Nintendo Power is no longer directly associated with Nintendo, oh the shock!

I'm sorry to dissapoint all of you who tried to weigh down hype for the Wii version with false rumors and trolling all these months leading up to the release but more reviewers agree this is the ideal version than not. This is not a case of Nintendo fanboys ravinously defending a game that is being slammed. It's a case of Anti-Nintendo fanboys trying to belittle this quality title finally come to the console everyone agrees it was envisioned for.

You folk make so many threads trying to find a chink in this game's armor and if anyone comes to raise issue with the grounds of attack, suddenly the Nintendo fanboys have come out to defend obviously a flawed game. Oh the Fanboyism you cry as you try to spin every review that isn't a 10/10 or 5/5 into meaning this game is the harbinger of doom for the Wii.

Of course its not you trying to sensensationalize a handful of compromising reviews at all, its obviously us managing damage control for a game everyone is hating on. I'm sorry Windbane, there will never be a LAIR for the Wii no matter how badly you want to argue this may be the case.

The Wii Version is the ideal verison. End of argument. But don't worry, you own a Wii so you'll be able to play it too.

You can call me a troll all you want, whatever, I could give a crap.  But you are most definitely a Wii fanatic with a persecution complex.  The fact of the matter is the Wii version of the game has problems.  Whether you like it or not is irrelevant.  If the Wii version is the ideal version, why does it have a lower Metacritic score?  Oh what, Metacritic doesn't matter now?

phil said:
Onimusha12 said:

No Windbane, Nintendo Power doesn't hate Wii games, they hate PS2 ports. You even acknowledge this directly after your asinine statement.

What other PS2 ports have they hated? Try Prince of Persia Rival Swords (shitty gimped port of Prince of Persia 3). Try Scarface. Try Godfather: Blackhand. I think the reaccuring comment of "enough crappy PS2 ports already" is testamony enough to their sentiments.

Oh but no, "its just us defending this game." Certainly the same magazine that gave Nights for the Wii a 10/10 is to be weighed as the most important reviewer of them all. Who cares if Nintendo Power is no longer directly associated with Nintendo, oh the shock!

I'm sorry to dissapoint all of you who tried to weigh down hype for the Wii version with false rumors and trolling all these months leading up to the release but more reviewers agree this is the ideal version than not. This is not a case of Nintendo fanboys ravinously defending a game that is being slammed. It's a case of Anti-Nintendo fanboys trying to belittle this quality title finally come to the console everyone agrees it was envisioned for.

You folk make so many threads trying to find a chink in this game's armor and if anyone comes to raise issue with the grounds of attack, suddenly the Nintendo fanboys have come out to defend obviously a flawed game. Oh the Fanboyism you cry as you try to spin every review that isn't a 10/10 or 5/5 into meaning this game is the harbinger of doom for the Wii.

Of course its not you trying to sensensationalize a handful of compromising reviews at all, its obviously us managing damage control for a game everyone is hating on. I'm sorry Windbane, there will never be a LAIR for the Wii no matter how badly you want to argue this may be the case.

The Wii Version is the ideal verison. End of argument. But don't worry, you own a Wii so you'll be able to play it too.

You can call me a troll all you want, whatever, I could give a crap.  But you are most definitely a Wii fanatic with a persecution complex.  The fact of the matter is the Wii version of the game has problems.  Whether you like it or not is irrelevant.  If the Wii version is the ideal version, why does it have a lower Metacritic score?  Oh what, Metacritic doesn't matter now?

The same reason RE4 Wii Edition does even though its the better version, ITS AN OLD GAME, the only problems shown in the final build videos are the same problems the PS2 version had which is dropped framerate, only other gripe on the game is the BETTER graphics make the paper style not the same as PS2 so some people like the paper style a bit more on PS2.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I'm playing the game right now and I can assure you this is the better version. Beautiful visuals, beautiful controls.

Definitly the must have version, though with how few people bought the PS2 version there's a good chance for this game to find its own calling on the Wii.

I guess people will always be suspicious that the Wii is getting games "they" once thought were "their" territory. I guess I can't blame them. If an awesome GC game was ported exclusively to the another console only with enchanced features I'd be pretty cheesed too.

@Windbane.

Calm down and stop the drama. You're not helping the thread. Though I do appreciate the very second a reviewer is not your favor you argue they're not reliable and that we should only take into account the ones you choose to cite. Either way, put the soapbox away.

After playing Okami Wii now, I can understand what Nintendo Power and the like were saying about the controls being "frustrating" or "annoyingly inaccurate".

However, the problem isn't the game. It's the player. The trick is to do the brush strokes quickly and be done with it. Not only is it more responsive that way, but if it doesn't work right, you haven't wasted as much time and it's less a bother to try again.

Once you learn to do it right, it's a breeze and very simple to do.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

Yes I see that too. The controls either need to be done slowly or swiftly. One you get used to it, the game is really perfect.

I've been playing Okami for 8 hours since I bought it yesterday here are my thoughts on the controls.

Brush [Wiimote IR pointer]: I fully follow IGN on this one. It's true that I screwed up even the basics such as line and circle really badly at first, but once you get used to it and follow the "tips" provided to you by scrolls you encounter as you progress, they become incredibly easy (e.g. what matters most for drawing circles is closing the loop properly).

Attack [Wiimote Waggle]: I find it odd that few reviews mention this problem. Its incredibly tough to perform even basic comboes with the waggle since you need "good" timing in order to score the consecutive hits. I'm assuming that if you miss waggle early you're locked out from the combo due to bad timing, which is very unforgiving given lag with waggling and the problem that when waggling you can accidently waggle if you like to bring the remote back a bit motion (You can get the timing down by watching the attack animations).

Dodge [Nunchuck Waggle]: This one is even worse than basic attacking. The dodge is direction-sensitive and rarely works right.

My opinion: Other than dodging, after a lot of practice I know longer have any problems at all with the controls. However, I'm extremely patient -- I was willing to beat up on the dummy in the dojo for 30 minutes straight until I got the basic reflector combo timing right with the waggle. I doubt most people are willing to do that because they shouldn't have to. Still, I have to say that complaints about the brush seem odd to me. With a bit of practice and following the game's tips the brush is an absolute joy to control.

Seriously guys, stop hating a game solely because it has lower scores!

I mean, was Gamecube TP A LOT better than Wii TP? They had 96% vs 94%. Why? Because TP was clearly one of the best (according to Meta, the best) game on the Gamecube, while TP wasn't that great for a next (current now) gen console.

Same for Okami, it was awesome for being a last gen game, and just great for a next game gen, therefore it has a lower score.

And btw, phil, to answer your question (Doesn't Meta count anymore?). No Meta doesn't really count. Because gaming is subjective, they only take in reviews from 1 major area, and a couple of others. Hopefully that helped!

I apologize for messing around with a game I haven't played, but I feel I was a bit objective at least.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

I'm finding the game's only problem is a steep learning curve, other than that its not hard to become a natural with a little practice.

The only suggestion I would make would be that of offering the PS2 controls as an option through the classic controller.

Once you figure out how to use the brush on the Wii, it's fantastic. Even if you goof 2 or 3 times it's a lot quicker than an analog stick. Combos are not hard at all if you take 5 minutes to figure it out. Dodging is not very good.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger