By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kotaku: Switch Has Three Times As Many Games as Wii U Did At This Point - And They're Better

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Wyrdness said:

I don't think any prior Nintendo platform really matches the Switch in its first year library tbh.

BOTW
MK8
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade 2
M&R
Pokken
ARMS
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Doom
Skyrim SE
RE Revelations 1&2
LA Noire
I Am Setsuna
Minecraft
Celeste
Sonic Mania
Disgaea 5
Bayonetta 1&2
Dragon Quest Builders
DQ Heroes
DB Xenoverse

Which isn't that surprising seeing as how the industry is constantly expanding. Interesting to note that a lot of the games you listed were revealed or known about as far back as the Switch's january presentation. Basically, they would have been there whether or not the Switch was successful. So it's not really because of Nintendo that most of those games ended up coming out in the system's first year, in other words it has more to do with an expansive industry  or good timing than some ultra impressive lineup. Not trying to disqualify the first year though, Nintendo's output was pretty impressive and you know Nintendo had to pull some strings to get DOOM on there.

But half of that list are Nintendo games or Nintendo exclusives and not to mentione that strongest games are also Nintendo games, so of course that Nintendo actually is most "guilty" why Switch has such a strong 1st year.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

But half of that list are Nintendo games or Nintendo exclusives and not to mentione that strongest games are also Nintendo games, so of course that Nintendo actually is most "guilty" why Switch has such a strong 1st year.

Actually I count 11 third party games on that list not affiliated with Nintendo, which is more than the 10 Nintendo games. Besides, it doesn't matter if it's mostly Nintendo games or not, the point still stands.

Miyamotoo said:

Actually I count 11 third party games on that list not affiliated with Nintendo, which is more than the 10 Nintendo games. Besides, it doesn't matter if it's mostly Nintendo games or not, the point still stands.

And thats make around half of that list in any case, one game dont change nothing, and like I wrote strongest games are also Nintendo games, so reasons why Switch has sucha strong 1st year in first place is because Nintendo games and Nintendo exclusives, point is that Nintendo with purpose went to have killer 1st year after Wii U fail.

Miyamotoo said:

And thats make around half of that list in any case, one game dont change nothing, and like I wrote strongest games are also Nintendo games, so reasons why Switch has sucha strong 1st year in first place is because Nintendo games and Nintendo exclusives, point is that Nintendo with purpose went to have killer 1st year after Wii U fail.

So then why did you argue for no reason if I didn't deny any of that?

Miyamotoo said:

I dont arguing, If your point is that Swtich has killer 1st year only because Industry is constantly expanding, I disagree, because we have such a strong 1st year beacuse Nintendo wanted to have killer 1st year after Wii U fail.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

I dont arguing, If your point is that Swtich has killer 1st year only because Industry is constantly expanding, I disagree, because we have such a strong 1st year beacuse Nintendo wanted to have killer 1st year after Wii U fail.

That was never my point though. 

Miyamotoo said:

That was never my point though. 

Than that's totally different matter. :)

Miyamotoo said:

You should take Azuren's words to heart to be honest. 

Miyamotoo said:

You should take Azuren's words to heart to be honest. 

You wrote that Switch library is so strong in 1st year isn't that surprising beacuse "industry is constantly expanding", I wrote exactly why I disagree with you. I dont see how that has anything with what Azuren wrote to me.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 08 February 2018

GhaudePhaede010 said:

I am unsure what that means? I have already stated once that scores do not tell the whole story. Would Nintendo rather have all the indie titles on Switch or a game equivalent to Wii Sports? The impact of Wii Sports is astronomical and while it is only one game, it is a game that is more massive than almost every game on Switch's library in combined. It is unfair to say, "Switch has more games and they rate higher (people's opinion) so therefore, Switch is better" when nothing on Switch compares to one game on Wii. And then on top of that game, there was also Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. If Nintendo had that kind of massiveness today, people would call it, without a doubt, the greatest first year ever. It is very simple. Wii has a slight edge over Switch.

While Donkey Kong, Wii Play, Big Brain Academy, and Pokemon all reviewed poorly, how did they sell? See, different numbers can net you different set of facts.

Donkey Kong sold less than a million, Pokemon around 1.5 and big brain over 3 million. Wii play is the only one out of those 4 that sold insanely well, which is partially due to it coming with a new controller. It's hard to compare sales of switch and Wii games at this point due to none of the switch games even being a year old yet. While every Wii game has had years of  sales

If we're going by sales than the switch is doing great. Zelda on switch will be the best selling in the series. Mario will be the best selling 3d Mario ever. Mario kart is a bigger seller than everything except Wii sports. Splatoon 2 has sold more than most of the games you listed.Metroid isn't a high seller. Most of the switch games listed are likely to outsell most of the Wii games listed. So not only does the switch have better critical reception but it will likely have better commercial reception.