By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kotaku: Switch Has Three Times As Many Games as Wii U Did At This Point - And They're Better

The issue with the Wii U is that there was no demand for the lineup. The games coming out were all inferior versions of stuff available on other consoles. Wii and Switch both offered new ways to play the games that many people preferred, and that is why the demand was much much higher. Both Switch and Wii had far stronger exclusive content as well. You can slap on a 90 score to as many ports of AAA games as you want, but if they’re the same or inferior to what’s on consoles that everyone already has, and don’t offer anything new, people won’t want it; to the general gaming population, those may as well be 3/10 games shovelware games (which they technically are). The Wii was a unique case where many stubborn review sources were out of touch with what the general gaming community found good; ignoring how much more interesting the interface changes made the games; RE4, Scarface, and Godfather are all early examples of uniquely awesome exclusive experiences - the Wii versions were WAY more fun than the others. Many people who would never consider playing a golf game got Tiger Woods PGA due to the motion controls.

Then there was the party gaming component. The Wii was by far the best party gaming machine in the history of the industry. Local multiplayer has not been as big before or since. Perhaps the Switch can change that. I have been finding the portable nature of it is allowing for big local multiplayer situations. This is why Mario Kart 8 has become such a success on the console; it’s a better fit for Switch than Wii U.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:

I'd personally pick Twilight Princess and Galaxy over BotW and Odyssey.  But that's just me.  Let's take a look at the games available for before calling a person crazy.  Just Nintendo published games:

Wii:

1. Twilight Princess
  2. Wii Sports
  3. Mario Galaxy
  4. Super Paper Mario
  5. Metroid Prime 4
  6. WarioWare: Smooth Moves
  7. Mario Strikers Charged
  8. Mario Party 8
  9. Wii Play
  10. Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
  11. Big Brain Academy
  12. Pokémon Battle Revolution
If someone wants to say that's better than the Switch's first year, I can't really argue with them.  It's close enough to be a matter of taste.

Switch: 

1. Breath of the wild

2. 1-2 switch

3. Mario kart 8 deluxe

4. Splatoon 2

5. Arms

6. Pokken tournament dx 

7. Mario + rabbids 

8. Mario Odyssey 

9. Xenoblade 2

10. Bayonetta 1

11. Bayonetta 2

12. Fire emblem warriors

13. Snipperclips

14. Flip wars

And Kirby and hyrule warriors just about go over the year mark. Overall I'd say it's close. But I think the switch has a bit more variety. The Wii line up does a great job of playing to the Wiis strengths with games that use the motion controls and are fun to play in a group.

The Switch and Wii comparison is more interrsting. Still hard to belueve Nintendo let Wii U launch with SMBU and Nintendoland and virtualky nothing else until the following Christmas.

pikashoe said:
NightlyPoe said:

I'd personally pick Twilight Princess and Galaxy over BotW and Odyssey.  But that's just me.  Let's take a look at the games available for before calling a person crazy.  Just Nintendo published games:

Wii:

1. Twilight Princess
  2. Wii Sports
  3. Mario Galaxy
  4. Super Paper Mario
  5. Metroid Prime 4
  8. Mario Party 8
  9. Wii Play
  11. Big Brain Academy
If someone wants to say that's better than the Switch's first year, I can't really argue with them.  It's close enough to be a matter of taste.

Switch: 

1. Breath of the wild

2. 1-2 switch

3. Mario kart 8 deluxe

4. Splatoon 2

5. Arms

6. Pokken tournament dx 

7. Mario + rabbids 

8. Mario Odyssey 

9. Xenoblade 2

10. Bayonetta 1

11. Bayonetta 2

12. Fire emblem warriors

13. Snipperclips

14. Flip wars

And Kirby and hyrule warriors just about go over the year mark. Overall I'd say it's close. But I think the switch has a bit more variety. The Wii line up does a great job of playing to the Wiis strengths with games that use the motion controls and are fun to play in a group.

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Pokemon all in the first year would normally make any fan of gaming say that is the best single year in Nintendo's history. Since it is Wii though, it is a lineup that does a great job of, "playing to Wii's strengths with games that use motion controls and are fun to play in groups"? Foh with that bullshit. It is close, sure, but Wii has the higher quality lineup. If Switch had Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon all in its first year, people would have absolutely no problem saying it was the best first year in Nintendo's history. However, Wii gets points taken away because it is Wii. Not gonna be able to do it.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Miyamotoo said:
Azuren said:

No, your just overzealous in your defense of a company. You take perceived sights against said company as though it were a personal attack on yourself. As such, no discussion with you on the subject will end in anything but increasingly more volatile responses from you.

And no, Kotaku is a blatant spin site. It doesn't know how to not be as much.

I wrote why I exactly completely disagree with you, not to mentione that my post was based on facts what you actually wrote don't make sense, and now you spin that in same kind of personal thing or attack. :D 

Fact is that this Kotaku report is based on facts, on real numbers, they did not made up this.

And I know from past experience that discussing Nintendo in any critical manner with you will just result in you making it personal. So no thank you.

And no.

Seeing as how this is same post is getting repeated in response to you, I'm assuming you and I both have nothing else to add. Posting a paraphrasing of the same thing again is just going to get ignored, because I don't feel like going back and forth on this forever.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
pikashoe said:

Switch: 

1. Breath of the wild

2. 1-2 switch

3. Mario kart 8 deluxe

4. Splatoon 2

5. Arms

6. Pokken tournament dx 

7. Mario + rabbids 

8. Mario Odyssey 

9. Xenoblade 2

10. Bayonetta 1

11. Bayonetta 2

12. Fire emblem warriors

13. Snipperclips

14. Flip wars

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Pokemon all in the first year would normally make any fan of gaming say that is the best single year in Nintendo's history. Since it is Wii though, it is a lineup that does a great job of, "playing to Wii's strengths with games that use motion controls and are fun to play in groups"? Foh with that bullshit. It is close, sure, but Wii has the higher quality lineup. If Switch had Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon all in its first year, people would have absolutely no problem saying it was the best first year in Nintendo's history. However, Wii gets points taken away because it is Wii. Not gonna be able to do it.

To be fair, Zelda didnt release in the same year as the other 3, also the Pokemon game on Wii was poorly recieved.

But in Wii's defense, it did also have Fire Emblem & Battalion Wars which got left out in the previous list.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

To be fair, Zelda didnt release in the same year as the other 3, also the Pokemon game on Wii was poorly recieved.

But in Wii's defense, it did also have Fire Emblem & Battalion Wars which got left out in the previous list.

Zelda on Wii came out, just like Zelda on Switch, day and date with the console. It was also, just like Zelda on Switch, a port.

And even if you take Pokemon out because it was, "poorly received," you still have the holy trinity (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) of games released in one calendar year which Switch does not. Plus all the other titles Nintendo put out as well and the major third party support to go with it. If Switch had those three titles released in one calendar year, people would still call it the best year in Nintendo's history. But since it is Wii, people will try to dismiss it.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

NightlyPoe said:
S.Peelman said:

I don't have a Switch yet, but I'd say with a killer Zelda game and an ambitious 3D Mario the Switch's first year wins against pretty much everything by default.

Wii:

1. Twilight Princess
  2. Wii Sports
  3. Mario Galaxy
  4. Super Paper Mario
  5. Metroid Prime 4
  8. Mario Party 8
  9. Wii Play
  11. Big Brain Academy

Oh certainly the Wii had a great first year as well. Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy earned their places amongst my favorites. I played a ton of Mario Party 8 with my cousin and Wii Sports got me excited for a whole new generation.

Haven't played Odyssey yet for obvious reasons, so I don't know if it would beat Galaxy for me yet. Breath of the Wild was even better than Twilight Princess for me, and if Odyssey is better than Galaxy, Switch would have a better start in my opinion. If it's not, they're about equal.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
zorg1000 said:

Zelda on Wii came out, just like Zelda on Switch, day and date with the console. It was also, just like Zelda on Switch, a port.

And even if you take Pokemon out because it was, "poorly received," you still have the holy trinity (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) of games released in one calendar year which Switch does not. Plus all the other titles Nintendo put out as well and the major third party support to go with it. If Switch had those three titles released in one calendar year, people would still call it the best year in Nintendo's history. But since it is Wii, people will try to dismiss it.

They didn't release in one calendar year though, TP released in November while Galaxy released the following November which is 13 months, only Metroid and Zelda released with in the calendar year.

Wyrdness said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

They didn't release in one calendar year though, TP released in November while Galaxy released the following November which is 13 months, only Metroid and Zelda released with in the calendar year.

November 19 to November 19 is one calendar year. Like January 1 to January 1 is one calendar year. The calendar year does not end at the beginning of December. Tf are you talking about? If you Google, "how many days is november 19 2006 to november 19 2007" (literally copy and paste into Google right now), the answer that shows up will be, "365 Days" which equals, one year. Mario came out in the first year.