By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kotaku: Switch Has Three Times As Many Games as Wii U Did At This Point - And They're Better

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Wyrdness said:

They didn't release in one calendar year though, TP released in November while Galaxy released the following November which is 13 months, only Metroid and Zelda released with in the calendar year.

November 19 to November 19 is one calendar year. Like January 1 to January 1 is one calendar year. The calendar year does not end at the beginning of December. Tf are you talking about? If you Google, "how many days is november 19 2006 to november 19 2007" (literally copy and paste into Google right now), the answer that shows up will be, "365 Days" which equals, one year. Mario came out in the first year.

Cool your attitude mate the date I saw was a staggered Pal release as some countries in the region like Australia got it later which was November 29th.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

November 19 to November 19 is one calendar year. Like January 1 to January 1 is one calendar year. The calendar year does not end at the beginning of December. Tf are you talking about? If you Google, "how many days is november 19 2006 to november 19 2007" (literally copy and paste into Google right now), the answer that shows up will be, "365 Days" which equals, one year. Mario came out in the first year.

Cool your attitude mate the date I saw was a staggered Pal release as some countries in the region like Australia got it later which was November 29th.

I was not trying to give you attitude, I was legitimately confused.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

GhaudePhaede010 said:
zorg1000 said:

To be fair, Zelda didnt release in the same year as the other 3, also the Pokemon game on Wii was poorly recieved.

But in Wii's defense, it did also have Fire Emblem & Battalion Wars which got left out in the previous list.

Zelda on Wii came out, just like Zelda on Switch, day and date with the console. It was also, just like Zelda on Switch, a port.

And even if you take Pokemon out because it was, "poorly received," you still have the holy trinity (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) of games released in one calendar year which Switch does not. Plus all the other titles Nintendo put out as well and the major third party support to go with it. If Switch had those three titles released in one calendar year, people would still call it the best year in Nintendo's history. But since it is Wii, people will try to dismiss it.

It wasnt the same calender year though. Zelda was 2006 while Metroid & Mario were 2007, sure they released in a one year period but calender year is Jan 1-Dec 31.

Why would we include a mediocre game in a discussion comparing best lineups?

Im not arguing about Wii having a great lineup, i agree with you there, i was just pointing out those two flaws.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

NightlyPoe said:
S.Peelman said:

I don't have a Switch yet, but I'd say with a killer Zelda game and an ambitious 3D Mario the Switch's first year wins against pretty much everything by default.

I'd personally pick Twilight Princess and Galaxy over BotW and Odyssey.  But that's just me.  Let's take a look at the games available for before calling a person crazy.  Just Nintendo published games:

Wii:

1. Twilight Princess
  2. Wii Sports
  3. Mario Galaxy
  4. Super Paper Mario
  5. Metroid Prime 4
  6. WarioWare: Smooth Moves
  7. Mario Strikers Charged
  8. Mario Party 8
  9. Wii Play
  10. Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
  11. Big Brain Academy
  12. Pokémon Battle Revolution
If someone wants to say that's better than the Switch's first year, I can't really argue with them.  It's close enough to be a matter of taste.

Switch has great non-Nintendo games as well and that's where it makes the biggest difference. 

Games like Steamworld Dig 2, Celeste, Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley, Steamworld Heist: Ultimate Edition, Darkest Dungeon, Minecraft, Super Meatboy, Rocket League, Minecraft, Dragon Quest: Builders, Night in the Woods, Fast RMX, Thumper, Enter the Gungeon, The Binding of Isaac, Rayman Legends, Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time, Axiom Verge, etc.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Azuren said:
Miyamotoo said:

I wrote why I exactly completely disagree with you, not to mentione that my post was based on facts what you actually wrote don't make sense, and now you spin that in same kind of personal thing or attack. :D 

Fact is that this Kotaku report is based on facts, on real numbers, they did not made up this.

And I know from past experience that discussing Nintendo in any critical manner with you will just result in you making it personal. So no thank you.

And no.

Seeing as how this is same post is getting repeated in response to you, I'm assuming you and I both have nothing else to add. Posting a paraphrasing of the same thing again is just going to get ignored, because I don't feel like going back and forth on this forever.

You making big problem from this, if you dont want to discuss with me, then don't and just stop replying to me, simple as that.

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
NightlyPoe said:

I'd personally pick Twilight Princess and Galaxy over BotW and Odyssey.  But that's just me.  Let's take a look at the games available for before calling a person crazy.  Just Nintendo published games:

Wii:

1. Twilight Princess
  2. Wii Sports
  3. Mario Galaxy
  4. Super Paper Mario
  5. Metroid Prime 4
  8. Mario Party 8
  9. Wii Play
  11. Big Brain Academy
If someone wants to say that's better than the Switch's first year, I can't really argue with them.  It's close enough to be a matter of taste.

Switch has great non-Nintendo games as well and that's where it makes the biggest difference. 

Games like Steamworld Dig 2, Celeste, Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley, Steamworld Heist: Ultimate Edition, Darkest Dungeon, Minecraft, Super Meatboy, Rocket League, Minecraft, Dragon Quest: Builders, Night in the Woods, Fast RMX, Thumper, Enter the Gungeon, The Binding of Isaac, Rayman Legends, Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time, Axiom Verge, etc.

Alot of that is small dev/indies basically....... but good ones.

Sadly dont see that changeing, most AA/AAA games arnt comeing to the switch.
You ll still need a PS4 / XB1 if you want to play big 3rd party multi plat games.

Alkibiádēs said:
NightlyPoe said:

Wii:

1. Twilight Princess
  2. Wii Sports
  3. Mario Galaxy
  4. Super Paper Mario
  5. Metroid Prime 4
  8. Mario Party 8
  9. Wii Play
  11. Big Brain Academy

Wii had some good 3rd party games in year 1 as well.

DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi, Sonic Secret Rings, SSX Blur, Cooking Mama, Prince of Persia: Rival Swords, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Scarface, Resident Evil 4, Madden 08, FIFA 08, Tony Hawk: Proving Ground, Zach & Wiki, Guitar Hero 3, Manhunt 2, Lego Star Wars, Rock Band, Trauma Center, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Tomb Raider Anniversary, WWE 08, Geometry Wars, Nights

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

JRPGfan said:
Alkibiádēs said:

You ll still need a PS4 / XB1 if you want to play big 3rd party multi plat games.

Who cares about how small or independent a developer is? A good game is a good game. 

This is kind of like saying "that girl looks great, but what a shame she's black". 

Stardew Valley sold almost 4 million copies on Steam alone, Rocket League has like 40M people playing the game or something and Minecraft sold over a 100 million copies.

There are also bigger third party games coming anyway like Shin Megami Tensei V, Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes, Project Octopath Traveller, Bayonetta 3, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Dragon Quest 11, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, Mega Man 11, Dark Souls: Remastered, Wolfenstein 2, etc.

Crash Bandicoot N'sane Trilogy is also heavily rumoured, as is a Sonic racing game.

When you see a beautiful black girl do you also say "she's beautiful... but black..."?

Last edited by Alkibiádēs - on 07 February 2018

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

JRPGfan said:
Alkibiádēs said:

I think it will get a decent selection of AA games.

Xenoverse 2, DQ Builders, DQ Heroes 1+2, Dark Souls Remastered, Skyrim Special Edition, Sonic Forces, Minecraft, Minecraft Story Mode, Disgaea 5, Valkayria Chronicles 4, Octopath Traveler, LA Noire, Payday 2, Fate/Extella, FIFA 18, NBA 2K18, WWE 2K18, I Am Setsuna, Lost Sphere, Batman Telltale, Resident Evil Revelations Collection, Nights of Azure 2, Lego City, Just Dance.

Overall Switch will get a strong selection of small-medium indie games, Japanese games, kid/family games & ports/remasters with the occasional AAA multiplat.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
pikashoe said:

Switch: 

1. Breath of the wild

2. 1-2 switch

3. Mario kart 8 deluxe

4. Splatoon 2

5. Arms

6. Pokken tournament dx 

7. Mario + rabbids 

8. Mario Odyssey 

9. Xenoblade 2

10. Bayonetta 1

11. Bayonetta 2

12. Fire emblem warriors

13. Snipperclips

14. Flip wars

And Kirby and hyrule warriors just about go over the year mark. Overall I'd say it's close. But I think the switch has a bit more variety. The Wii line up does a great job of playing to the Wiis strengths with games that use the motion controls and are fun to play in a group.

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Pokemon all in the first year would normally make any fan of gaming say that is the best single year in Nintendo's history. Since it is Wii though, it is a lineup that does a great job of, "playing to Wii's strengths with games that use motion controls and are fun to play in groups"? Foh with that bullshit. It is close, sure, but Wii has the higher quality lineup. If Switch had Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon all in its first year, people would have absolutely no problem saying it was the best first year in Nintendo's history. However, Wii gets points taken away because it is Wii. Not gonna be able to do it.

I wasn't saying that as an insult I loved the Wii, and think that people hate on it to much. Some of my favourite games ever are on the Wii.

Looking at those two lists, mario party 8, Pokemon, Wii play, donkey Kong and big brain academy all got a pretty poor critical reception for the Wii. While only 1-2 switch and flip wars were poorly received on the switch.