By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kotaku: Switch Has Three Times As Many Games as Wii U Did At This Point - And They're Better

I've got 27 games for the switch since I got it in July. That's more than any other console I've ever owned in that period of time. The only console that comes close is the ps4, but I got that a couple of years after launch.

Last edited by pikashoe - on 08 February 2018

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

I am unsure what that means? I have already stated once that scores do not tell the whole story. Would Nintendo rather have all the indie titles on Switch or a game equivalent to Wii Sports? The impact of Wii Sports is astronomical and while it is only one game, it is a game that is more massive than almost every game on Switch's library in combined. It is unfair to say, "Switch has more games and they rate higher (people's opinion) so therefore, Switch is better" when nothing on Switch compares to one game on Wii. And then on top of that game, there was also Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. If Nintendo had that kind of massiveness today, people would call it, without a doubt, the greatest first year ever. It is very simple. Wii has a slight edge over Switch.

While Donkey Kong, Wii Play, Big Brain Academy, and Pokemon all reviewed poorly, how did they sell? See, different numbers can net you different set of facts.

Donkey Kong sold less than a million, Pokemon around 1.5 and big brain over 3 million. Wii play is the only one out of those 4 that sold insanely well, which is partially due to it coming with a new controller. It's hard to compare sales of switch and Wii games at this point due to none of the switch games even being a year old yet. While every Wii game has had years of  sales

If we're going by sales than the switch is doing great. Zelda on switch will be the best selling in the series. Mario will be the best selling 3d Mario ever. Mario kart is a bigger seller than everything except Wii sports. Splatoon 2 has sold more than most of the games you listed.Metroid isn't a high seller. Most of the switch games listed are likely to outsell most of the Wii games listed. So not only does the switch have better critical reception but it will likely have better commercial reception.

The Donkey Kong game was a spin off that did reach 1 million.

The Pokemon game was also a spin off that sold over 1 million.

Wii Play needs no discussion.

Zelda on Wii had to compete with Wii Sports which no game on Switch has to deal with a game of that magnitude but it was still the best selling Zelda up to that point.

Mario the same story. In their context, best selling game up to that point.

I am not saying the sales of these games is better than how Switch is doing, no no. Sales are the consequence of many factors outside the game. I was just saying that these games did sell well. Outselling Wii titles does not make them better games either. If that were the case, Okami would be one of the better selling games of all time... but candy crush murders it is sales. My point was that those games that did not review well did manage to sell well and I could use their sales as proof that scores mean nothing in the long run. I was not using it to discredit Switch's sales in any way.

The point of my comments is to raise awareness to something that nobody wants to admit. Wii sold well for all the right reasons. Wii gets shit for the, "casual" games it brought to the table but the fact that there is an argument (in my opinion Wii's first year is better) for Wii vs. Switch proves that Wii was successful for all the right reasons and that it is not a console that deserves the insane amount of shit it has gotten over the years. If you think Switch is better, more power to you. But I will take Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Wii Sports, and then all the third party stuff as well as games like Strikers over what Switch has offered me so far. It is close, but Wii gets the edge in my opinion. Regardless, the fact that there is a legitimate argument that can be made for Wii is the most crucial take away. I hope people come to their senses about Wii and why it was such a smashing success. It offered games for everyone.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Wyrdness said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

You didn't dispute its impact. You just said it didn't last over multiple generations. Which is not to say its impact was not massive while it did last. You just changed the narrative. I am not a fool, you know.

You are correct, ports are way different. They get counted as a new game for a console with no backwards compatibility but the one with backwards compability gets absolutely no credit for having it. Makes sense to me. Oh and I fail to see the irony since Switch's Zelda is also a port. Ports count but backwards compatibility does not even though it may have been just as much a selling point as ports are today; maybe even more. Sweet.

I did dispute the impact from the very beginning that's the whole point of highlighting the numbers across gens to highlight it wasn't the result of the software's own impact but more so the platform's own impact and market approach.

One of the reasons BC isn't really credited is that the games are not new releases even though a port is a version of another game its still a new release for the new platform while BC isn't BC is a feature albeit a convenient one but just that a feature like having media capabilities, BC is essentially you just having your old console as a feature otherwise it would be like saying the upcoming VC for Switch and all its games count when it launches it's an argument that reaches because if GC is on the NS VC then all of a sudden under the same mode of logic it would be argued the GC library are now Switch games. When debating a platform's own library BC games aren't considered because they're the library of a prior platform via a feature.

A port however is a new release for a platform, MK8D was a new release with additions, Pokken was a new release with additions as both these games were a new version of another on the case of BOTW and TP under the market they aren't even ports they're multiplatform release which is a different scenario altogether.

Where did you dispute Wii Sport's impact? As a matter of fact, don't waste my time. If for some reason you do not think Wii Sports had a massive impact on the gaming industry, there is literally nothing further for us to discuss as you are stupid or delusional. Either way, there will be no reconciliation. As I said over and over, you never negated Wii Sports impact, you just tried to minimize it by moving the goalposts. Which is fine, but I am not stupid enough to fall for it.

I do not care why you do not count backwards compatibility. Ports of games being praised while a whole feature that basically makes ports to a console pointless gets ignored, is just... petty. If Switch was backwards compatible, would we be seeing all these Wii U ports? But then, maybe Switch would have more original titles, like Wii.

Warning ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 10 February 2018

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

GhaudePhaede010 said:

Where did you dispute Wii Sport's impact? As a matter of fact, don't waste my time. If for some reason you do not think Wii Sports had a massive impact on the gaming industry, there is literally nothing further for us to discuss as you are stupid or delusional. Either way, there will be no reconciliation. As I said over and over, you never negated Wii Sports impact, you just tried to minimize it by moving the goalposts. Which is fine, but I am not stupid enough to fall for it.

I do not care why you do not count backwards compatibility. Ports of games being praised while a whole feature that basically makes ports to a console pointless gets ignored, is just... petty. If Switch was backwards compatible, would we be seeing all these Wii U ports? But then, maybe Switch would have more original titles, like Wii.

I questioned and disputed the perceived impact you used in your logic by looking at the performance of such software across varying platforms but as it goes you're too backward to grasp was put before you it's almost as if you're high when posting, when looking the performance of the software on varying platforms the said software only performed on the Wii a platform with numerous factors that surround it which may have been the actual driving force and impact instead of software like while in contrast the comparable software on the Switch performed even platforms with out the Wii's surrounding factors highlighting a more conrete case of them having actual impact. For a start not once did you have a response for WS being packed in with the Wii or that equivalent software on a non Wii platform perform erratically indicating impact maybe due to other factors all you did was side step arguments and refused to answer, the irony in the goalposts comments is that I didn't move any you did with the numbers logic to start.

Don't care then but that's how it is BC are not new releases funny thing is your banging on about ports yet right now the are only two out which shoots down this route you're trying to argue and even if we count future currently announced ports the number of original games coming to the platform still outnumbers the Wii U ports by a mile.

As for your insults deal with it mate.

pikashoe said:

I've got 27 games for the switch since I got it in July. That's more than any other console I've ever owned in that period of time. The only console that comes close is the ps4, but I got that a couple of years after launch.

I agree. My Switch library grew fucking quickly. As someone who got a PS4 very shortly after launch it was honestly a pretty terrible library for a long ass time. But the Switch's is already very good. I think I already own about 15 games

Around the Network

Its not surprising. The Switch is successful and a lot of indie games are being brought to the system. There's a bit of a catch up effect happening right now where all the good indie games released on other platforms over the past few years are rapidly being ported to Switch. Eventually the pace of indie games will slow down to just new ones being created. However, I would fully expect the pace of AAA third party games to increase as they take a lot longer to port to the system.

Wyrdness said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

I questioned and disputed the perceived impact you used in your logic by looking at the performance of such software across varying platforms but as it goes you're too backward to grasp was put before you it's almost as if you're high when posting, when looking the performance of the software on varying platforms the said software only performed on the Wii a platform with numerous factors that surround it which may have been the actual driving force and impact instead of software like while in contrast the comparable software on the Switch performed even platforms with out the Wii's surrounding factors highlighting a more conrete case of them having actual impact. For a start not once did you have a response for WS being packed in with the Wii or that equivalent software on a non Wii platform perform erratically indicating impact maybe due to other factors all you did was side step arguments and refused to answer, the irony in the goalposts comments is that I didn't move any you did with the numbers logic to start.

Don't care then but that's how it is BC are not new releases funny thing is your banging on about ports yet right now the are only two out which shoots down this route you're trying to argue and even if we count future currently announced ports the number of original games coming to the platform still outnumbers the Wii U ports by a mile.

As for your insults deal with it mate.

So, you attempted to dispute the impact by moving the goalposts? Gotcha.

The rest of your post is rambling garbage that I needn't reply to. Glad you wasted your time writing that reply.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

So, you attempted to dispute the impact by moving the goalposts? Gotcha.

The rest of your post is rambling garbage that I needn't reply to. Glad you wasted your time writing that reply.

No goalposts were even moved and that definitely doesn't fit any context here it's like you're high or something and not reading posts properly I can only assume English is not your first language at this point.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

The Donkey Kong game was a spin off that did reach 1 million.

The Pokemon game was also a spin off that sold over 1 million.

Wii Play needs no discussion.

Zelda on Wii had to compete with Wii Sports which no game on Switch has to deal with a game of that magnitude but it was still the best selling Zelda up to that point.

Mario the same story. In their context, best selling game up to that point.

I am not saying the sales of these games is better than how Switch is doing, no no. Sales are the consequence of many factors outside the game. I was just saying that these games did sell well. Outselling Wii titles does not make them better games either. If that were the case, Okami would be one of the better selling games of all time... but candy crush murders it is sales. My point was that those games that did not review well did manage to sell well and I could use their sales as proof that scores mean nothing in the long run. I was not using it to discredit Switch's sales in any way.

The point of my comments is to raise awareness to something that nobody wants to admit. Wii sold well for all the right reasons. Wii gets shit for the, "casual" games it brought to the table but the fact that there is an argument (in my opinion Wii's first year is better) for Wii vs. Switch proves that Wii was successful for all the right reasons and that it is not a console that deserves the insane amount of shit it has gotten over the years. If you think Switch is better, more power to you. But I will take Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Wii Sports, and then all the third party stuff as well as games like Strikers over what Switch has offered me so far. It is close, but Wii gets the edge in my opinion. Regardless, the fact that there is a legitimate argument that can be made for Wii is the most crucial take away. I hope people come to their senses about Wii and why it was such a smashing success. It offered games for everyone.

According to this website, the donkey Kong game sold .6 million. It was both a critical and commercial failure. 

Wii sports didn't compete with anything, it was a pack in game. It is unlikely to have affected the sales of anything else on the list negatively. If anything Wii sports may have helped some of those games sales. The games on switch are competing with 3 times as many games on the same system, as well as competing against two fully established consoles, with the ps4 and Xbox 1. 

I think the Wii had a great first year. I have at no point denied that. But There isn't much in your favour here. The switch has 3 times as many games, and those games are getting a better reception. Even just going by the games you listed 5 out of 12 were mini game compilations. I have nothing against those types of games but that isnt a good sign of variety for a console. The games i listed on the switch come from a wide variety of genres and they are all very distinct from one another and they are aiming for various different audiences. 

You may personally prefer the Wiis first year and that's fine I won't take that away from you. The wiis first year was great. But Looking at the nembers there isn't much in the Wiis favour here.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

Zelda on Wii had to compete with Wii Sports which no game on Switch has to deal with a game of that magnitude

Wii Sports was a pack in title in most regions so i dont see how it was competition to Zelda.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.