By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A reminder of how horrible the ads from Wii U was...

Yerm said:
the Wii U was a necessary evil. it will be remembered for being terrible for all eternity, but it was a necessary step before we got to the Switch

That's funny, back when the Wii U was performing horribly I was sure that people would one day look back on the console the same way we now do on the Dreamcast: an amazing console that was never appreciated the way it should have been.  I guess that won't be the Wii U's fate, though.  the Wii U had amazing games but most of them have been re-released on the Switch.  There are now almost no experiences that uniquely belong to Wii U owners.  The Wii U's soul has been fully cannibalized and forgotten in order to give the Switch life.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

IT'S A DOUBLE YOSHI EXPLOSHI!!

This quote feels like a personal attack on human decency. 

imo the worst one was the "you're a squid now" from the Splatoon add but at least the game still sold gangbusters

How Nintendo didn't do an ad with Wii Will Rock U or Wii would like to play with U shows how inept they were during those years. It was right there for the taking. The only good Wii U was the Splatoon commercial.

MinatozakiSana said:
imo the worst one was the "you're a squid now" from the Splatoon add but at least the game still sold gangbusters

That meme'd so hard the Splatoon community still quotes it two and a half years later. If anything, it was so wonderfully bad it helped the game, as opposed to just being bad.

Around the Network

Switch commercial are totally opposite to Wii U commercials.

2:57 of the first video is Steve from Stranger Things.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Medisti said:
MinatozakiSana said:

That meme'd so hard the Splatoon community still quotes it two and a half years later. If anything, it was so wonderfully bad it helped the game, as opposed to just being bad.

Yeah, a bad-but-memorable ad is much better than a forgettable one. The Splatoon commercial did it's job of getting in your head and making you think about the game well after the commercial ended. Can't say that about most Wii U marketing.

It says a lot about the Wii U era that the most memorable advertising for any game was a completely unintentional meme:

Despite everything I quite like the Wii U