By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. February bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

SWORDF1SH said:
zorg1000 said:

Well the thing is we dont know if Amazon represents a similar percentage of overall hardware, software & accessories.

What i mean is that Amazon could make up 10% of software sales in the US but only 5% for hardware and a whopping 20% for accessories which makes it even harder to predict sales based on what is ranking near it.

Basically overall we should just continue to do what we have been doing and just use Amazon to predict rankings, not actual sales.

Like I said, we need some close months. Before the Switch I believed the bias was in favour of PS4. Now I believe the bias is in favour of the Switch then PS4 then Xbox One. The trouble is, the console I think has the most bias as won the majority of NPDs. This is why Amazon could be accurate. We might see the theory testes GoW month where both consoles should be close to each other in the charts. 

amazon seems to be used more by the hardcore market, they prefer Japanese games/consoles, and since ps4 has been winning most  npd, amazon prediction looks better then it is, as for switch vs ps4 on amazon, they have been to close, so amazon picking a winner was just pure luck.

Around the Network
quickrick said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Like I said, we need some close months. Before the Switch I believed the bias was in favour of PS4. Now I believe the bias is in favour of the Switch then PS4 then Xbox One. The trouble is, the console I think has the most bias as won the majority of NPDs. This is why Amazon could be accurate. We might see the theory testes GoW month where both consoles should be close to each other in the charts. 

amazon seems to be used more by the hardcore market, they prefer Japanese games/consoles, and since ps4 has been winning most  npd, amazon prediction looks better then it is, as for switch vs ps4 on amazon, they have been to close, so amazon picking a winner was just pure luck.

Now you are just making assumptions based on your own preconceived notions.  There's no evidence for the first claim in your post.

However, Amazon picking a winner has always been "luck".  Amazon does not and has never made up the lion's share of the games market.  It just so happens that, for better or worse, transactions here with regards to hardware, constitute a pretty representative verticle slice of that market.  This could change at any time.  However, it has remained a good predictor of sales *leaders* (not sales in units) for years.  And there's no evidence that has changed.

Nuvendil said:
quickrick said:

Now you are just making assumptions based on your own preconceived notions.  There's no evidence for the first claim in your post.

However, Amazon picking a winner has always been "luck".  Amazon does not and has never made up the lion's share of the games market.  It just so happens that, for better or worse, transactions here with regards to hardware, constitute a pretty representative verticle slice of that market.  This could change at any time.  However, it has remained a good predictor of sales *leaders* (not sales in units) for years.  And there's no evidence that has changed.

just look at the best selling games on amazon for 2017, it's mostly Japanese games.

Make that 42/50.

quickrick said:
Nuvendil said:

just look at the best selling games on amazon for 2017, it's mostly Japanese games.

Why do you even post on amazon threads, i mean you come up with new excuses every week and you dont believe in amazon anyway right? I dont believe in vgc weekly numbers but I'm not in ever weekly thread!

Goooosh *randys voice

Around the Network
quickrick said:
Nuvendil said:

The fact they all sold a lot of coppies probably has something to do with that.  But four things to keep in mind:

1) multiplats are split between two platforms plus split between any sku variants like collectors editions or deluxe editions.  This effects their ranking.

2) we don't know the distance between each rank so a game with 2 skus in the 20s may have sold more than a game with 1 sku in the top 5

3) with regards to Nintendo games in general, they rarely do a wide range of skus.  Usually it's just one sku.  So this helps their games rank higher but with fewer skus in the rankings.

4) Amazon has never, ever been used as a metric for game sales rankings or overall success because the inaccuracies with software have long been documented, noted, and accepted.  At best it can indicate a very general and imprecise level of health for a given release.  Which is why hardware is what is discussed most seriously with regards to Amazon.

5 hours since last update.

HARDWARE:
#12 NS Neon (same)
#22 NS Grey (up 1)
#41 PSVR Skyrim (down 4)
#42 PS4 Fool's Edition (same)
#49 SNES Classic (down 1)
#53 XB1X (up 6)
#58 PS4 Pro (down 2)
#70 XB1 Minecraft (up 2)
#74 XB1 Madden (down 6)
#90 XB1 Forza (re-entry)
#95 PS4 Pro Star Wars (re-entry)

SOFTWARE (Pre-orders Only)**:
Nothing at the moment

Does not affect this month: *
Software outside of the month only gets added if it's in the top 20: **

PS4: 3 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1: 4 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NIS:  2 in the top 100 / 2 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5

p0isonparadise said:

5 hours since last update.

HARDWARE:
#12 NS Neon (same)
#22 NS Grey (up 1)
#41 PSVR Skyrim (down 4)
#42 PS4 Fool's Edition (same)
#49 SNES Classic (down 1)
#53 XB1X (up 6)
#58 PS4 Pro (down 2)
#70 XB1 Minecraft (up 2)
#74 XB1 Madden (down 6)
#90 XB1 Forza (re-entry)
#95 PS4 Pro Star Wars (re-entry)

SOFTWARE (Pre-orders Only)**:
Nothing at the moment

Does not affect this month: *
Software outside of the month only gets added if it's in the top 20: **

PS4: 3 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1: 4 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NIS:  2 in the top 100 / 2 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5

Thanks for addng the PSVR bundle. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Switch will take Feb NPD too !

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Switch will take Feb NPD too !

And March and April and May, etc.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.