By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: The Witcher 3 is boring, confusing, bad written and bad directed, etc...

Well, I could not disagree more.

Has there ever been better writing and execution of any given lore in a video game?  I don't think so.  I love Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Fallout as much as anyone, but honestly....  They pale in scope and execution to the Witcher 3.

RE: The combat...  You mentioned being level 5 and failing vs. level 10 opponents.  There are many times this happen's, because your not supposed to be doing that yet.  Sounds like you haven't actually played 40 hours.  Have you reached Skellige?

RE: Dialogue, yeah they repeat some voices....  There are literally thousands of NPC's, that will all talk and engage with you, all fully voiced.  It was a gigantic scope and executed better than any Dev team has ever done.

RE:  Plot.  Did you play the Witcher 2?  Have you read the books?  If your picking it up cold, yeah it would be like starting Game of thrones in season 6.  You wont understand a lot of it, but they do a pretty good job of getting an inclusive narrative done, and the DLC stories are pretty epic.

To play the Witcher is too engross yourself in it.  I have played through it completely, 3 times, I feel there are 2 RPG's that could top it, Elder scrolls 6 and the Witcher 4.

Just my opinion though.

Around the Network

One of my favorite games ever made.and by far my favprite game on my ps4

One of my top 5 games of all time, and I'm an old dude who has been gaming for over 30 years. So I guess I'd say I completely disagree. But to each their own!

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

dgboweniii said:

Has there ever been better writing and execution of any given lore in a video game?  I don't think so.  I love Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Fallout as much as anyone, but honestly....  They pale in scope and execution to the Witcher 3.

RE: The combat...  You mentioned being level 5 and failing vs. level 10 opponents.  There are many times this happen's, because your not supposed to be doing that yet.  Sounds like you haven't actually played 40 hours.  Have you reached Skellige?

RE: Dialogue, yeah they repeat some voices....  There are literally thousands of NPC's, that will all talk and engage with you, all fully voiced.  It was a gigantic scope and executed better than any Dev team has ever done.

RE:  Plot.  Did you play the Witcher 2?  Have you read the books?  If your picking it up cold, yeah it would be like starting Game of thrones in season 6.  You wont understand a lot of it, but they do a pretty good job of getting an inclusive narrative done, and the DLC stories are pretty epic.

To play the Witcher is too engross yourself in it.  I have played through it completely, 3 times, I feel there are 2 RPG's that could top it, Elder scrolls 6 and the Witcher 4.

Just my opinion though.

They were bandits, like duzens I have engaged before. There was nothing there indicating they were above my league.

All those peasants and small lords look the same, they talk the same and have miserable lives. I couldn´t tell if a NPC would give a big quest or a gigantic quest.

No, but I went after the wiki. Too many weird names and politics that are both cliche and boring.

vivster said:
Angelus said:

I would say exactly that.

I think I understand what you're talking about though, because while Witcher 3 is classified as an RPG, I personally view it more as the world's most expansive action/adventure game that has RPG mechanics. You're looking for more pen and paper, classic RPG elements, I would guess.

Indeed. I'm missing a lot of the R in this supposed RPG. And no quality control could make up for that.

Yeah, R is definitely dying in this supposed RPG games.

I remember playing Gothic for the first time around 2001/2 and thinking "this is superb, but a bit light on skills and attributes - it would be great if they added more D&D or GURPS alike stuff in it" - never happened. Then Morrowind came along (I wasn't fan of Daggerfall, Might&Magic was my thing back in 90s) and I thought "really nice attributees and skills, now if only there was as good of a story and world building like in Gothic, Fallout 1/2 or Planescape" - never happened.

Fast forward 15 years and AAA devs have practically killed the genre - we either have action-adventures with some RPG skills sprinkled in or FPS/TPS-RPG hybrids.

I mean, FFS, some people have balls (or just lack knowledge, not sure what it is) to call Horizon an RPG.

Around the Network

Most AAA games these days are. I tried the combat in TW 3 and it just didn't feel good at all. The game also constantly tells and shows you where to go. Where's the challenge?

Games like this just get inflated review scores. Reminds me of LA Noire that received 89% on metacritic yet its current-gen remaster only got 77%.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

HoloDust said:
vivster said:

Indeed. I'm missing a lot of the R in this supposed RPG. And no quality control could make up for that.

I remember playing Gothic for the first time around 2001/2 and thinking "this is superb, but a bit light on skills and attributes - it would be great if they added more D&D or GURPS alike stuff in it" - never happened. Then Morrowind came along (I wasn't fan of Daggerfall, Might&Magic was my thing back in 90s) and I thought "really nice attributees and skills, now if only there was as good of a story and world building like in Gothic, Fallout 1/2 or Planescape" - never happened.

Fast forward 15 years and AAA devs have practically killed the genre - we either have action-adventures with some RPG skills sprinkled in or FPS/TPS-RPG hybrids.

I mean, FFS, some people have balls (or just lack knowledge, not sure what it is) to call Horizon an RPG.

Play some Divinity 2 and STFU please....pardon the french. And they call Horizon an Action-RPG, which it is. Exactly like The Witcher 3.

User modded for this post. - axum

Last edited by axumblade - on 29 January 2018

Dark_Feanor said:
dgboweniii said:

Just my opinion though.

They were bandits, like duzens I have engaged before. There was nothing there indicating they were above my league.

All opponents in TW3 show you their level and the game even warns you specifically if their level is way too high. If you tried to fight them but you were to weak, that's not what you should've been doing in the first place. Also if enemies appear in groups they need to be targeted/fought very differently to begin with. That's where bombs, your Witcher powers and group styles come into play.

Errorist76 said:
HoloDust said:

Play some Divinity 2 and STFU please....pardon the french. And they call Horizon an Action-RPG, which it is. Exactly like The Witcher 3.

I've played it. Your point being? Except that you're unpolite?

Horizon is not action RPG - it's action-adveture with RPG coat of paint.

TW3 is - barely, but it is.

HoloDust said:

I've played it. Your point being? Except that you're unpolite?

Horizon is not action RPG - it's action-adveture with RPG coat of paint.

TW3 is - barely, but it is.

That still makes HZD an action rpg though.