By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will any game come out in 2018 that is better than Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey?

DonFerrari said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

What do you mean "of course there will be"? I wouldn't say it's overly obvious that most of the users on this board would have a game that tops Zelda or Mario ... they're some of the most beloved games in the past dozen years. In fact, Zelda probably is, with the only competition being The Last of Us. So that wording isn't really applicable, for most people here I'd imagine that having those two games topped would be pretty hard. Which is why the question is multi-faceted, because it's not an easy answer.

From the OP: "Now this is not just about Game of the Year awards or Metacritic scores, it also includes Gamer's opinions as a whole. "

If the OP wanted just metacritic answers than I'd say no, but that's also not a logical way of thinking. A western audience is obviously going to be biased to Zelda compared to Monster Hunter.

If you were to poll for the best game on a list it would be hard for they not to win... but when you have free choice there will be a lot of people that although love the 2 will think that for they another one is good... you can see on the thread that a lot of people listed games they think are better for them.

Oh yeah, for sure. I don't think they're even the best games of last year. But at the same time I do think it will be an accomplishment if a game is better than those two, which is presumably why the OP made this thread. So Monster Hunter World is my vote. I

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

If you were to poll for the best game on a list it would be hard for they not to win... but when you have free choice there will be a lot of people that although love the 2 will think that for they another one is good... you can see on the thread that a lot of people listed games they think are better for them.

Oh yeah, for sure. I don't think they're even the best games of last year. But at the same time I do think it will be an accomplishment if a game is better than those two, which is presumably why the OP made this thread. So Monster Hunter World is my vote. I

Wel if OP had limited it to Metacritic there would be little doubt that it will be very very very hard to have anything outscore both. But talking about personal taste it would obvious there would be a lot of people that think there will be some better game... so OP got his answers =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Wel if OP had limited it to Metacritic there would be little doubt that it will be very very very hard to have anything outscore both. But talking about personal taste it would obvious there would be a lot of people that think there will be some better game... so OP got his answers =]

Yep...i'm honestly confused as to how this even became a discussion, lol. 

DonFerrari said:

Yep...i'm honestly confused as to how this even became a discussion, lol. 

Well, in VGC everything is a topic for discussion.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

3D Mario, Zelda, and GTA seem to be the only games capable of still getting a 97 on meta. We may never have another 97 game honestly, or it could be a very long time. Probably until they really reinvent or innovate with a Zelda or 3D Mario game in like another decade or maybe GTA 6. 

Last edited by HyrulianScrolls - on 27 January 2018

Around the Network

Looks like Red Dead Redemption 2 got a 95 on Metacritic for PS3. Seems like the next Red Dead is the best contender to at least equal Zelda or Mario on Metacritic. Not sure if it will happen, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

As for me personally, BotW is one of my favorite games of all time. I have literally been waiting at least 25 years for this game to be released. I don't think I will find one I'll like more this year, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Valkyria Chronicles 4, Kingdom Hearts 3 and all the DQ games (both XI and builders) have the potential to pull it off. Not to mention that every year has a few surprise hits.

No. BotW is the best game ever. And only a Zelda can dethrone Zelda. So maybe the next one on 2019-2020.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

The chances of another game coming out this generation on any console that tops Zelda, period, is unlikely.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

If by "better" you mean a game that winds up with higher review scores, then almost assuredly not. BotW holds a 97 on Metacritic, and since reviews started being compiled by Metacritic, only two games have ever averaged higher than a 97 with 25 or more reviews; Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 and GTA IV. So...yeah, history suggests it's not likely. And given how review scores have been getting steadily harsher over time, it's probably even more so.

If, on the other hand, you just mean by better a game that some people think is better...then yeah. It'll happen every year. Opinions are subjective, after all, and you're never going to have consensus on what the best game is.

Yeah, probably.

Better than Persona 5, though? Probably not.