By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will any game come out in 2018 that is better than Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey?

I feel confident in predicting no 98's... Doesn't seem particularly likely.

Rockstar has reached the upper 90's in the past, but it still seems like a stretch for RDR 2. It's rather a rarity these days.

Around the Network

GoW looks promising. RDR2 is overhyped imo and Spiderman aswell. The team behind spidey never a legendary game if im not mistaken.
Other than that, i think we will need some announcements for Nintendo too cause this year, even if it starts better than last year imo, doesn't have huge titles but a bunch of good titles.

According to Metacritic no, but according to me Kirby and Fire Emblem already make that an easy yes. Though of course I don't think Mario nor Zelda is the best game on Switch, we all know which game I'd grant that title to!

spurgeonryan said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Yep. And it's just been released.

Monster Hunter worlds at 91 on meta?

I don't care about Metacritic. It can give us information on how other people feel about a game, which can be of value, but i'm specifically talking about how I feel about a game. So yes, Monster Hunter Worlds is probably better than both those games. 

Score wise? No, I don't think so.

Personally? Kirby Star Allies can be on par on the fun aspect and pretty much only that from games I have seen for this year.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

Monster Hunter worlds at 91 on meta?

I don't care about Metacritic. It can give us information on how other people feel about a game, which can be of value, but i'm specifically talking about how I feel about a game. So yes, Monster Hunter Worlds is probably better than both those games. 

Well opinion wise of course there will be. It's not like everyone will never have a better experience but for the scoring and reviews i don't think we will see that this year.

xMetroid said:

Well opinion wise of course there will be. It's not like everyone will never have a better experience but for the scoring and reviews i don't think we will see that this year.

What do you mean "of course there will be"? I wouldn't say it's overly obvious that most of the users on this board would have a game that tops Zelda or Mario ... they're some of the most beloved games in the past dozen years. In fact, Zelda probably is, with the only competition being The Last of Us. So that wording isn't really applicable, for most people here I'd imagine that having those two games topped would be pretty hard. Which is why the question is multi-faceted, because it's not an easy answer.

From the OP: "Now this is not just about Game of the Year awards or Metacritic scores, it also includes Gamer's opinions as a whole. "

If the OP wanted just metacritic answers than I'd say no, but that's also not a logical way of thinking. A western audience is obviously going to be biased to Zelda compared to Monster Hunter.

Going by metacritic? No. But metacritic isn't everything. I had more fun playing xenoblade chronicles 2 than playing botw and xc 2 was only a 83 on metacritic.

xMetroid said:
GoW looks promising. RDR2 is overhyped imo and Spiderman aswell. The team behind spidey never a legendary game if im not mistaken.
Other than that, i think we will need some announcements for Nintendo too cause this year, even if it starts better than last year imo, doesn't have huge titles but a bunch of good titles.

Their games have some "legendary" status and are hallmark stablished IPs, but sure they haven't made anything as recognizable... but Spiderman seems to be a good game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

xMetroid said:

What do you mean "of course there will be"? I wouldn't say it's overly obvious that most of the users on this board would have a game that tops Zelda or Mario ... they're some of the most beloved games in the past dozen years. In fact, Zelda probably is, with the only competition being The Last of Us. So that wording isn't really applicable, for most people here I'd imagine that having those two games topped would be pretty hard. Which is why the question is multi-faceted, because it's not an easy answer.

From the OP: "Now this is not just about Game of the Year awards or Metacritic scores, it also includes Gamer's opinions as a whole. "

If the OP wanted just metacritic answers than I'd say no, but that's also not a logical way of thinking. A western audience is obviously going to be biased to Zelda compared to Monster Hunter.

If you were to poll for the best game on a list it would be hard for they not to win... but when you have free choice there will be a lot of people that although love the 2 will think that for they another one is good... you can see on the thread that a lot of people listed games they think are better for them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."