By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Monster Hunter World is the most viewed game on Twitch

OTBWY said:
Wasn't Sea of Thieves the most viewed like a day or two back. Yeah, these things are meaningless.

Most of yesterday Sea of Thieves was ahead of MWH and Sea of Thieves is a closed beta and only on 2 platforms while MHW is a new release with a bigger install base to sell to.

Around the Network

This reminds me of people claiming the Switch bombed because Zelda wasn't being watched a lot on Twitch lol...

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Hiku said:
jason1637 said:

Most of yesterday Sea of Thieves was ahead of MWH and Sea of Thieves is a closed beta and only on 2 platforms while MHW is a new release with a bigger install base to sell to.

Monster Hunter: World released yesterday in various time zones across the globe.
From today and here on out is much better for comparison as more people have their hands on the game throughout the entire day.

Should be interesting to see if Sea of Thieves will overtake it again when the servers go back up later today.

10 minutes later it fell down quite a bit, lol.

I hope it does well though. I thought about picking it up, then I read on GAF that there are cosmetic player creation microtransactions? Killed literally all my hype.

LudicrousSpeed said:

I hope it does well though. I thought about picking it up, then I read on GAF that there are cosmetic player creation microtransactions? Killed literally all my hype.

Only played for about 2.5 hrs but no sign of micro transactions so far. 

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Madword said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Only played for about 2.5 hrs but no sign of micro transactions so far. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-26-heres-what-monster-hunter-worlds-day-one-microtransaction-prices-look-like

This must be what GAF was talking about. At least in this case, future expansions are apparently free. That makes the cosmetic DLC a lot easier to swallow, similar to Titanfall 2. But still, on day one having paid DLC blows. I am glad I looked into it more though, it’s not as DLC infested as GAF made it out to be.

OTBWY said:
Wasn't Sea of Thieves the most viewed like a day or two back. Yeah, these things are meaningless.

Well what is Sea of Thieves at now?

pitzy272 said:
OTBWY said:

Well what is Sea of Thieves at now?

Exactly.

Hiku said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-26-heres-what-monster-hunter-worlds-day-one-microtransaction-prices-look-like

This must be what GAF was talking about. At least in this case, future expansions are apparently free. That makes the cosmetic DLC a lot easier to swallow, similar to Titanfall 2. But still, on day one having paid DLC blows. I am glad I looked into it more though, it’s not as DLC infested as GAF made it out to be.

They've already announced the first big free DLC expansion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kahQKbMiJ5U

And they're planning to support it more over time with free DLC like this, and periodic special events to hunt for special versions of bosses that don't appear normally in the game, etc.

Makes me wonder what they are going to do when the PC version releases later this year. That platform will be automatically excluded from all those timed events, so my guess would be them tossing in a special list of timed events for that platform once it releases there. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

vivster said:
Wonder when these threads will stop. It's nothing unusual for high profile games to end up on a top position on Twitch. That's how Twitch streamers operate. You get the highest views if you play something brand new. Certain Twitch streamers do alone 30k views and upwards, so put a few top streamers on one game and you already have easy 100k views regardless if the audience is actually interested in the game or not.
MHW is right now at 150k viewers. The top 5 streams alone make up 60k of that. BTW Counter Strike is currently at 330k viewers.

What I'm saying is that Twitch views on launch day mean absolutely nothing. Check back in a week and see if it's even still in the top 10.

When they're still streaming a few weeks later it tends to be telling. This initial burst of activity is, as you say, not particularly informative in and of itself following a major release.

Given the nature of the game though, it being about hunting unique monsters almost certainly in a multiplayer setting, I suspect it will be very popular for streaming for quite some time.