By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How long until a ps4 level $400 hybrid is possible?

taus90 said:
HoloDust said:

@ bolded Irrelevant really - that's about what PS4 is on the paper, when you look at architecture (though it's somewhere betwen GCN 1 and 2) and numbers - and we're comparing here one PC part with another PC part, not actual future PS4 portable SoC with PS4.

NOT irrelevant, because ps4 has GCN cores doesnt mean it can only run on GCN architecture, never in my 2 years of coding on PS4 had anybody told me and my team to stick to basic GCN architecture we havent even touched it, GCN is one of the option for people who wanna port their games with ease.. but writing own instruction set and frame work is far more rewarding and completely dwarf what we are able to achieve on PC with similar kind of hardware, the only complaint we have is that, of CPU grunt to save some frame budget. 

AGAIN Just in lay man term what a custom architecture can do is you have to look at PSvita with off the shelf SoC compared that to similar or more powerful hardware. Now I m not saying PS4 level of graphics is possible the difference will be similar to what PS3 and Psvita had. Which in my opinion will be far better than what switch is delivering right now.

Again - irrelevant.

Whatever you can do on PS4s GPU you would be able to do on hypotetical PS4 Portable's GPU. He proposed 2700u - I told him to check GFX Bench for 7850 vs 2700u (cause when it comes to specs, PS4s GPU is around 7850). Again, one PC part vs another PC part, with all the drawbacks. Not a PC part vs PS4.

Comprehend?

Around the Network

I’m a bit concerned about software memory, along with a bevy of other things others have mentioned about a potential PS4 Switch. So many big games are like 20-50GB and, unless someone got lessons from Nintendo on how to compress these games, I’m not sure how you can compress them enough while maintaining their PS4 quality. Unless I’m ignorant on how much 1TB is to create as storage, you also have to consider how the hard drive can be compressed to fit like whatever can be stored on the hard drive on the Switch.

Kai_Mao said:
I’m a bit concerned about software memory, along with a bevy of other things others have mentioned about a potential PS4 Switch. So many big games are like 20-50GB and, unless someone got lessons from Nintendo on how to compress these games, I’m not sure how you can compress them enough while maintaining their PS4 quality. Unless I’m ignorant on how much 1TB is to create as storage, you also have to consider how the hard drive can be compressed to fit like whatever can be stored on the hard drive on the Switch.

The above picture is a 1TB M2 SSD on top of a 1TB 2.5" SSD.  If that is too large, you could go with a SDXC microSD (size on the right below).  That would be a little slower than the M2 format, but can be faster (if you pay enough for high speed) than the spinning hd in a ps4...

It'd be quite a long time. It has been shown over and over and over again that people who purchase handhelds do not care as much about graphics, so there is no need for such a handheld device. Maybe in 10-12 years with Nintendo's 3rd generation hybrid could we start seeing such. But Sony is going to stick to home consoles, their bread and butter, so there's absolutely no reason to stick their necks out once again to attempt a portable or hybrid console. With the way they have utterly dominated the home console market this generation, that would only be a waste of resources for them.

Kerotan said:
nemo37 said:

I will begin by responding to the main article. I think it will be a few more years until we get an SOC from AMD powerful enough and power-effecient enough to fit into a device like Switch. Although AMD has made major leaps with the new Ryzen 5 mobile (albeit those are still to constrained to fit into a device the size of the Switch, but the point is that the technology is moving quite quickly). On a personal level, I would love to see a portable version of the Playstation 4 because, as portable gamer (and one with a PS4 but with little free time to actually use it much), it would give me access one of the best gaming libraries anywhere. I really hope Sony does eventually make it happen, even if it ends up being a bit more expensive than the Switch is now (I would certainly buy it day one); though of course they have to look to see whether a higher price would appeal to the mass market.

This is such a flawed comparison. Just because those particular games are not on the Switch (4 of which are exclusive to Sony and so would never appear on the Switch; I could just as easily point to Wolfenstein 2, Doom, BoTW, SMO etc. to make a similar flawed argument) does not mean that the Switch is not capable of running such games. As SegataSanshiro mentioned, the vast majority of games that are available on both platforms (Skyrim, LA Noire, FIFA 18, Minecraft; Dark Souls and Bayonetta 1 remain to be seen since they have not been released yet) perform better on Switch. Based on these titles, one can assume that even the games you mentioned would at worst run on par with or, likely, even better if ported over (obviously though we will never know for sure because KillZone, Uncharted, The Last of Us, GoW3 are all exclusives; GTA V would be another interesting point of comparison if it ever comes).

There are no games to that level on the Switch. It's currently below that standard. With time it might reach it which is basically what the other guy said which was switch is on the same level as last gen. 

You are the reason I thank god that Nintendo's game designers exist.  Not every single game has to look the same.  If everyone thought like you, this is what Nintendo games would look like:

Super Mario Odyssey:

The Legend of Zelda:  Breath of the Wild:

Yoshi:

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
Kerotan said:

There are no games to that level on the Switch. It's currently below that standard. With time it might reach it which is basically what the other guy said which was switch is on the same level as last gen. 

You are the reason I thank god that Nintendo's game designers exist.  Not every single game has to look the same.  If everyone thought like you, this is what Nintendo games would look like:

Super Mario Odyssey:

Yoshi:

I appreciate cartoon graphics too. Ratchet and clank ps4 is better looking then any Nintendo game. It's pixar like. 

SpokenTruth said:
Kerotan said:

Developers didn't take advantage of the ps3 when making multi platform games.

Developers didn't take advantage of the Switch when making games.

You shouldn't make it this easy to refute your points.

It's built to be dev friendly so naturally they will take more advantage of the hardware then 3rd parties who found ps3 a nightmare to deal with. 

Kerotan said:
Mandalore76 said:

Super Mario Odyssey:

Yoshi:

I appreciate cartoon graphics too. Ratchet and clank ps4 is better looking then any Nintendo game. It's pixar like. 

R&C on PS4 is inded better looking - but it's nowhere near animated movies.

And honestly, your persistence on PS360 having better gfx than Switch is...well hilarious at this point.

You are like opposite of notorious Zero999 who was WiiU evangelist back in days until he finally got permabanned.

With the way the Tegra's are advancing this could be done pretty much, now.  A Hybrid PS4 would ummm.....  Destroy the market.  I am hopeful.

Kerotan said:
SegataSanshiro said:

This post is so wrong. Switch is more powerful than Wii U which was already a bit more powerful than PS3/360. Switch is not only a good deal more powerful but uses modern architecture even more modern than PS4. 3DS is inbetweenPS2 and Gamecube but more modern shaders.  GBA was more powerful than SNES and why there was a good amount of 3D games on the system. Game Gear was mower powerful than Game Boy and was essentially a portable SMS. Game Boy Color did not have the same power.  As for the OP. A few years. Xavier is a few years off being ready for a portable system for power consumption heat and battery life. By the time Switch 2 launches in maybe 2022-3

There are games on PS3 graphically and technically more impressive then switch games so I don't see how you can say its above it. 

Examples? And would these run better on switch if they were on switch? Give proof don't just make statements

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also