By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will there be a DMC 5?

Do you think so?

Yes 12 92.31%

No 1 7.69%

Total:13

Devil May Cry 5 is said to be in development by many leakers online but there has been no real confirmation from anyone at Capcom. I know many people are expecting it but I don't see it. The series hasn't got any installment since 2013, no new one announced at this point and hack and slash games are at an all time low in terms of popularity. People wanting a continuation of the story from DMC4 forget that the game is 10 years old now and its not often that a game that old gets a direct sequel.

The main reason for this would be financial. Even if Capcom were to make a sequel it would likely have to be open world and have RPG elements to appeal to gamers but that sits entirely against the core philosophies of the game, as unlike most other games with shallow combat having apparent depth through stats in Devil May Cry it has always been about the mechanical skills of the players like fighting games and those don't do too well either. Still fighting games have more appeal than hack and slash games so I don't think Devil May Cry 5 will happen.

Around the Network
twintail said:
GOWTLOZ said: 

Even if Capcom were to make a sequel it would likely have to be open world and have RPG elements to appeal to gamers but that sits entirely against the core philosophies of the game, as unlike most other games with shallow combat having apparent depth through stats in Devil May Cry it has always been about the mechanical skills of the players like fighting games and those don't do too well either. Still fighting games have more appeal than hack and slash games so I don't think Devil May Cry 5 will happen.

Im failing to see how you think any of this matters to the success of DMC5.

Besides rumours have it that Sony might be helping with finance so there is that. Or possibly Sony has a marketing deal in place which means they will market it as well which takes a massive financial strain off Capcom.

I can see it happening if Sony supports them but why would they. They gain nothing from supporting Devil May Cry as its not a system seller franchise that it was. Street Fighter and Monster Hunter made sense, Devil May Cry doesn't make any sense at all.

The things I said matter because fans expect certain things from the series and we know what happens when they don't get exactly what they want. Look up DmC. The thing is expanding the appeal of the series has worked against it in the past and the current fanbase isn't big enough for a AAA budget.

GOWTLOZ said:
twintail said:

Im failing to see how you think any of this matters to the success of DMC5.

Besides rumours have it that Sony might be helping with finance so there is that. Or possibly Sony has a marketing deal in place which means they will market it as well which takes a massive financial strain off Capcom.

I can see it happening if Sony supports them but why would they. They gain nothing from supporting Devil May Cry as its not a system seller franchise that it was. Street Fighter and Monster Hunter made sense, Devil May Cry doesn't make any sense at all.

The things I said matter because fans expect certain things from the series and we know what happens when they don't get exactly what they want. Look up DmC. The thing is expanding the appeal of the series has worked against it in the past and the current fanbase isn't big enough for a AAA budget.

If that was the only reasoning behind supporting/publishing third party games in exchange for exclusivity rights, then Sony wouldn't have supported Nioh, Nintendo wouldn't have supported Bayonetta 2 or Wonderful 101, and Microsoft wouldn't have funded Cuphead, to name a few. Companies will often support games in exchange to have them exclusively on their platform because game sales are where companies make most of their profit off of. Having your console be the only option available for people to play a game can generate at least a reasonable amount of additional revenue if people would have otherwise considered several options for where to play it.

That one interview with the developer for it, and he was just brought to silence when asked if they where soon releaseing a new DMC. He couldnt say "no" or say "yes"..... so he smiled and said nothing for a longwhile......to me that kinda sealed it. People laughed at the reaction, and gauged that as confirmation, and the developer "knew" this and didnt countersay it.

Yes theres a new DMC on the way.

JRPGfan said:

That one interview with the developer for it, and he was just brought to silence when asked if they where soon releaseing a new DMC. He couldnt say "no" or say "yes"..... so he smiled and said nothing for a longwhile......to me that kinda sealed it. People laughed at the reaction, and gauged that as confirmation, and the developer "knew" this and didnt countersay it.

Yes theres a new DMC on the way.

God I hope you are right...

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

E3. PS4 will have DMC5 and Switch Bayo 3. It's perfect!

I'm certainly not sold on it actually being in development, but I can see either Sony or Microsoft wanting an answer to Bayonetta which Nintendo basically owns at this point. The last game may have came out a decade or so ago, but you can get the hd collection and 4 special edition on PS4/Xbone right now, and for cheap. Let's face it too, there has never been a better time to renew the hack and slash genre thanks to how powerful consoles are now. 60fps, 4k over the top action games would be awesome. I just hope if Devil May Cry 5 is a real thing, it comes out on pc as well.

E3

If there is, I hope it's not effeminate Dante.

I certainly hope there's a DMC5.