By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze $60?

is $60 too expensive for Tropical Freeze on the Switch?

yes 66 74.16%

no 23 25.84%

Total:89

I like how all my Switch games (most would be considered AAA/Must-have) have been around 45 so far. Even if DK is 60 in the end and not available any cheaper I don't see how Nintendo is the bad company (again) when the other platforms charge you 60+ for every game anyways and add GOTY, DELUXE, OMG to the titles to charge an extra 10-25 bucks.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I'm afraid it's just because Donkey Kong is such a niche IP. No one owned a Wii U, so now we have to pass the cost down to consumers. Thanks Nintendo for exposing some much needed light on the Donkey Kong series, it's always been really under represented and I'm glad to see it's 60$.

The game sold 1.7m units on WiiU (according to VGC).
Anyone spending over $60m on a 2D platformer deserves to lose money.
Tropical Freeze was very likely, very profitable on the WiiU.

That being said: Retro Studios is a talented developer, and it could be argued that making only tens of millions is beneath them.
Opportunity cost.

caffeinade said: 

I know, i'm being sarcastic. 

I don't like the idea that "if anyone pays $60 for a 2D plafromer they deserve to lose money". I think games like Rayman Legends 2 or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze 2 would be worth the money, probably. That being said, I don't think the consumer should be blamed for a poor choice in price on the publisher's end. I kind of doubt it will be 60$, but if it is, I do think that's a bit of a rip. 

caffeinade said: 

I don't like the idea that "if anyone pays $60 for a 2D plafromer they deserve to lose money". I think games like Rayman Legends 2 or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze 2 would be worth the money, probably. That being said, I don't think the consumer should be blamed for a poor choice in price on the publisher's end. I kind of doubt it will be 60$, but if it is, I do think that's a bit of a rip. 

I said if anyone spends sixty million dollars.

Meaning:
If Nintendo spent 60 million developing the game, they really shouldn't expect it to make its money back.

Only a mainline Mario could justifiably have a 60m budget.
Even then, it would probably hard to reach the 60m mark, and end up with a product that reflects the budget.

caffeinade said:

Meaning:
If Nintendo spent 60 million developing the game, they really shouldn't expect it to make its money back.

Even then, it would probably hard to reach the 60m mark, and end up with a product that reflects the budget.

Ewww, now I'm embarrassed. I thought you made a typo xD 

Around the Network

Maybe I am wrong but I think that 1-2 Switch is only Nintendo Switch game thats not $60.

caffeinade said:

Meaning:

Ewww, now I'm embarrassed. I thought you made a typo xD 

That is fine; it is an easy mistake to make.

I have nothing against people who wish to spend $60 or more on a 2D platformer.
I will likely be picking up Tropical Freeze on the Switch, at the $60 price mark.

Are people really surprised by this even now? If you guys keep buying full priced ports like Mario Kart 8 and Pokken, then why should they change that? Don't complain again when Hyrule Warriors turns out to be $60.

caffeinade said:

That is fine; it is an easy mistake to make.

I have nothing against people who wish to spend $60 or more on a 2D platformer.
I will likely be picking up Tropical Freeze on the Switch, at the $60 price mark.

Ha thanks 

Well, it's better than most games out there. Not a terrible purchase. 

Ostro said:
I like how all my Switch games (most would be considered AAA/Must-have) have been around 45 so far. Even if DK is 60 in the end and not available any cheaper I don't see how Nintendo is the bad company (again) when the other platforms charge you 60+ for every game anyways and add GOTY, DELUXE, OMG to the titles to charge an extra 10-25 bucks.

Yeah, but after a few months, you can find them cheaper in a sale.

how many first party games on switch, aside of Mario + Rabbids, were on sale last BF?